Bad Cap Replacement Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Cap Replacement Help

Hi, I just aquired a motherboard that was "junked" because it was not working. It posts fine but as soon as windows starts to load it imediatelly powers off. Upon closer inspection of the board the end of one of the capacitors is noticibly buldged out and has some brown buildup. There is another capacitor which has a slight buldge but has not blown out yet. These are the only two capacitors on the board showing any sign of trouble every other capacitor has a different color plastic covering.
    The board is an Intel Desktop Board Model E210882
    The writing on the capacitor says (the best I can read it): nichicon 560uF6.3V 105 deg C A0310.
    Both capacitors that show signs of trouble are identical.
    The motherboard is an older board but nonetheless I'd still be pleased if I could repair it.

It would be nice if someone cuold help me identify a replacement capacitor I could buy as I did not see a capacitor with the same microfarad rateing listed on the website.

Thanks. ~Clem
    "He strains to hear a whisper who refuses to hear a shout." - Robert Jordan

Re: Bad Cap Replacement Help

Hi,

There are many other sources for motherboard-grade capacitors. Examples are: Mouser.com, Digikey.com, Farnell.com, Newark.com.

You are missing one key think from the capacitor and that is the series of capacitor. On Nichicon capacitors, it is on the otherside of the strip that goes down the side of the capacitor and above the word Nichicon. It will be two letters and then (M). You will probably see something like HN (M), HM (M), HD (M)...Something along those lines. And where is it on the motherboard? Next to the CPU in a group of other capacitors or freelancing on its own?

Comment

(Key Think? )
      Its a HN(M), Sorry I was in a rush typing that out as I was late for work and I missed that bit of info.
      This is the orentation of the capacitors on the motherboard.
      Looking down on the board. Processor at the top, ram slots to the right.
      The capacitors are to the imediate left of the four ram slots. One at the top and one at the bottom.

I tried to post a picture. Sorry the resolution is so low its only a cellphone camera.
      The Red arrow is the capacitor that has bulged out on the top. The capacitor indicated by the black arrow is one that has an ever so slight buldge but is not spewing anything out yet.

Let me know what you think thx!
      Attached Files

Comment

Ah. Nichicon is a very dependable brand. However, they had some problems with the HM/HN line back in roughly 2003-2006. (Somewhere in there). That board looks atleast that old. You can do a direct replacement. Get a new Nichicon HN. You won't get any bad ones.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...IUekSuXVuyg%3d

You might want to get it off a different source. Mouser has some pretty high shipping rates. About $5 is the cheapest I've seen, even if what you bought only weighed 0.05oz

Replace both. If there are any other capacitors marked HN/HM on that board or KZG (not Nichicon), you want to repalce those as well.
        Last edited by TheLaw; 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

The Shipping from mouser is like $20. For like 10 capacitors! OUCH!

Comment

Originally posted by Clem16 View Post
            Thanks!

The Shipping from mouser is like $20. For like 10 capacitors! OUCH!
            If you live in the US, use US Priority Mail, or try Digikey, Farnell.

Comment

E210882 is not a model number, it's basically a factory number..
              Every model that comes out of that factory will have the same number.
              Australian law requires it to be there or it can't be imported down under.

Nichicon HM and HN series manufactured between 2001 and 2004 were defective.
              - Manufacturing error..

You're doing something wrong with the mouser shipping calculator.
              Someplace there is a screen that lets you choose shipping method.
              The methods have different prices.
              Mouser and Digikey shipping should be about the same if you're paying attention at checkout.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

A0310 = 10th week of 2003.
                If it's an HN or an HM it's bad.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

The (M) - is not part of the series name.
                  It's the uF tolerance code for +/-20%

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                    The (M) - is not part of the series name.
                    It's the uF tolerance code for +/-20%
                    I know that. But it's much easier to find the series if you first find the (M)

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
                      If you live in the US, use US Priority Mail, or try Digikey, Farnell.
                      No I am in Canada. I'll keep you informed of my efforts.

I work janitorial at my college here and the janitorial closet also houses the computer services "junk room" they toss lots of stuff out. I asked and policy is if its in the junk pile any student is free to take it if they want. Since I work everyday I can quickly see if there is any new goodies that show up.

This board board is one among several I have pulled out of the junk pile. So if I am able to fix it by replacing these defective capacitors, I'm going to be happy
                      **************************************************************

Comment

No I am in Canada.
                        We are dinged $8 USD for shipping and handling from digikey.
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
                          Ah. Nichicon is a very dependable brand. However, they had some problems with the HM/HN line back in roughly 2003-2006. (Somewhere in there). That board looks atleast that old. You can do a direct replacement. Get a new Nichicon HN. You won't get any bad ones.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...IUekSuXVuyg%3d

You might want to get it off a different source. Mouser has some pretty high shipping rates. About $5 is the cheapest I've seen, even if what you bought only weighed 0.05oz

Replace both. If there are any other capacitors marked HN/HM on that board or KZG (not Nichicon), you want to repalce those as well.
                          Upon closer inspection there is also a 2200uf10v Nichicon marked HM(M) It does not have any physical signs of damage yet, but it is probally just a mater of time before it goes. I dont see any others marked like that. There are some others marked HD(M) , VR(M).

Comment

HD should be fine.
                            VR are rated for 85C and -sometimes- go bad.
                            [VZ are quite cheap and a good 105C replacement for VR.]

""it is probally just a mater of time before it goes.''
                            Yup,
                            They are like flower buds on a bush.
                            They don't necessarily all 'bloom' at once but it's usually pretty close together.
                            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 04-06-2011, 01:50 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

If I remember correct the problem with Nichicon HM/HN had to do with some factories overfilling them, so there is a small possibility that yours belong to the good ones...?

Comment

So I ordered a few replacements from mouser for the three HN(M) ones. When they come in I am going to replace the one that is physically showing signs of damage. Test it to see if it works. Then probally replace the other one that possibly has issues as well but has not broken open yet. Then I am going to test it again and if everything works great I might use it for a bit but I will probally replace the other one that has the HN(M) markings since I did order a replacement for it as well. Then I should have a good board with which to tinker.
                                Considering I got the board for free including 3.0ghz p4 processor. for like 12$ for replacement parts I am happy. If it works great I have a new board. if it doesnt hey atleast I had fun. and if it does I have several other boards that are flaky I have not had a look at yet to see if its the caps. and a friend has a stack of boards someone gave him that I know have blown out capacitors. So I should be able get quite a few boards up and running here again

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                  If I remember correct the problem with Nichicon HM/HN had to do with some factories overfilling them, so there is a small possibility that yours belong to the good ones...?
                                  As already noted the date code is 2003. They are bad.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Hey could someone explain or point me to a good explanation of how to read the markings on a capacitor.

Also, in the descritpion from Mouser for a capacitor what does the 3.5LS mean?

"Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 6.3volts 560uF 8x11.5 20% 3.5LS"

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                      As already noted the date code is 2003. They are bad.
                                      Right, I ordered replacements for all of them with that date code.

Comment

Hey could someone explain or point me to a good explanation of how to read the markings on a capacitor.

Also, in the descritpion from Mouser for a capacitor what does the 3.5LS mean?

"Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 6.3volts 560uF 8x11.5 20% 3.5LS"
                                        3.5LS = 3.5mm Lead Spacing

Normally 8mm diameter caps have a 3.5mm LS and 10mm caps have a 5mm LS but there are exceptions.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X