Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abit KT7 Dropping PS2 and AGP Card

Hey guys,

I have a KT7 Raid MB, 256MB Ram, GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP card and Win XP Professional Sp2 and bios A9.

When I start click restart my computer restarts no problem, but when I do shutdown and then try to power up the PC my keyboard (PS2) isnt recognised.

I then have to pull out the power cord and try starting the PC again. Some times this works, other times it doesnt. When it fails I'm left with just a blank screen infront of me.

I do occasionally get it to boot into WinXP but the keyboard isnt found all the time - if I view Keyboards under Control Panel there are none listed.

Do you think its a caps problem? I've attached some pics below.

If so, I live in Northern Ireland - how can I get this fixed?

Ronan
    Attached Files

Re: Abit KT7 Dropping PS2 and AGP Card

I would agree that you have badcaps.
    The guys here can probably help you get the caps.
    Jim

Comment

Cheers Jim,

Glad to get a second opinion. Unfortunately I dont think that my soldering skills are up much this weather so was hoping I could get some one to do it for me.

Failing that I can give it a go if I have the correct instructions and the correct parts.

Regards,

Ronan

Comment

If you fix it be careful of the 2 small caps under the AGP slot. One of the holes is very close to some traces and its easy to damage them and screw up the board.

Comment

Originally posted by ronanmagee
          Failing that I can give it a go if I have the correct instructions and the correct parts.
          I'd be starting with the 2 JPCON's (1000uF & 2200uF) in the last photo, right next to the keyboard connector.

Comment

Cheers guys,

Where can I pick up a full set of caps for this and some instructuions?

Really not looking forward to doing all this soldering.

Regards,

Ronan

Comment

http://rswww.com/
              http://uk.farnell.com/
              http://dkc1.digikey.com/uk/digihome.html
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Cheers willawake,

I've looked at those sites and have no idea what caps I'm looking for.

Does anyone have a schematic that shows what the list on the KT7 currently has and recommendations with what you should change them too?

Regards,

Ronan

Comment

Yes, the caps are bad.
                  I've also seen bad/broken solder joints around PS/2 connectors on Abit BX133-RAID board - there were "000"-marked 0-ohm "resistors" instead of that flat green fuses and the contact between some of them and PCB was not good, resulting in random PS/2 and USB failure. A piece of wire fixed it So if the problem persists after replacing the caps, check this.

Comment

I'm really not liking the sound of all this ... I've only got this PC as a hand me down as my last PC's MB went kapoot as well - sent it to a company called Mr Bios to install a new generic bios and it came back knackered!

Aggggggggghhhhhhhh - any idea how much this will cost to get all the caps replaced?

regards,

Ronan

Comment

sent it to a company called Mr Bios to install a new generic bios and it came back knackered!
                      what does it do? did they use wrong bios.

Comment

Naw, they installed on of their bios's to make the machine perform better - I managed to install windows so far as getting the first boot - it installed some files, then when it shuts down to restart and run windows for the 1st time it cant find the CD Rom drive and therefore the install cant continue.

It then loses the mouse and keybaord as well ... nightmare! Done this all because I wanted usb2 on my old machine!

Comment

Originally posted by ronanmagee
                          Cheers guys,

Where can I pick up a full set of caps for this and some instructuions?

Really not looking forward to doing all this soldering.

Regards,

Ronan
                          first see if topcat will ship a kit to you.
                          second go out on trash day and find some disposable junk electronics or obsolete computer stuff to practice on.
                          this job is not as bad as it looks.
                          probably not cost effective to ship the board to tc or me to have it done though.

Comment

Shipping to USA for this board isnt that expensive, I shipped my last one to Mr Bios for £7stg, but its the cost of components/labour that was my problem in that case.

Comment

Probably cheaper just to flash the bios your self...

all Mr Bios does is put a generic replacement bios IC onto the mainboard that they programmed with an image, usually derived from the mainboard manufacturers website. They just mod the bios with some bios tools.
                              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Rainbow : pls explain the wire mod

ronanmagee :

old board : maybe flash it again yourself and see if the problems go away. perhaps you have other probs though.
                                new board : all those JPCON and the black ones which look like Jackcon? will have to be replaced. basically everything 330uf and above.

If you wanna go ahead then tell us the caps 330uf and above, tell us the brand uf and the voltage. then we can tell you what to buy.

because you have wierd issues cant guarantee that a recapping would solve them. it would be a step in the right direction though. definitely practice before you start.

read some FAQ see if it is something you wanna do
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=425
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485

did you try other keyboard (long shot)

Comment

Just had a break thru - ok - so the keybaord is fine, i'm typing on it now on another PC and I've tested another keyboard on the old pc and it worked occasionally.

Now, I've just found out 2 things:

1. The PC was originally used as a Server

2. My AGP graphics card I just recenty bought off ebay as working 100% isnt working 100% - the fan doesnt turn on.

So - I'm hoping that there may be some problem with the graphics card and once I return to sender and get a new one I'll be back here to post.

I'll prob end up changing the caps anyway as they do look to be a bit bloated.

regards,

Ronan

Re Old MB - the bios I recieved from mrBios via email actually messed up my PC - I then sent the MB to them to flash a new bios on to it - they did this and I could boot - but during the install it lost the CD Rom and the Keyboard.

Nightmare!

Comment

The fuses/0-ohm resistors are for +5V line protection. The fix is to solder a wire between PS/2 or USB +5V pin and a point before the fuse - or remove the fuse and solder the wire there (or a new fuse).
                                    As BX133-RAID has keyboard/mouse power-on feature, it's important not to solder the PS/2 power pins directly to +5V as the feature will no longer work if you do this (there is a jumper that switches keyboard/mouse power between +5V/+5VSB).

Comment

Rainbow : can you see anything here?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Ronan : check the photo and see what a Jpcon will be like after a while. busting its bung out the bottom and leaking everywhere.

nice find on the graphics card. post some pics to see if anything more is up with that?

what are the caps like on your old board?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X