X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Antec 480W "NEO" PSU with Fuhjyyu caps

Found a solution - D10 16V 2200uF Samxon GD caps:

So, they will go to my Antec now
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Nichicon HE 8000-10000 hr rated aqueous. No larger than 1500uf 16v and 2700uf 6.3v 10mm, though. I've never seen 10mm caps higher in anything but 2000hr ultra low esr caps.

Comment

Well, I won't say that Samxons GF are exactly "ultra low esr" caps, however they are low esr and suitable for most things - and as you know, 1500uF is not enought in the D10 dimensions, so... This is the best way, IMHO
        "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
        "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
          i think we should have a list of non aqueous LESR caps for PSu recapping capacitor recommendation.
          Samxon RS series are suit for PSU recapping, because high ripple, low impedance, espeically it is long life 7000 hours. I try to get some stock of 3300uF 16v D12.5mm for 12v rail of PSU.

http://www.samxon.com/PDF/prodPDF_39.pdf
          My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Sounds like a good PSU cap, however you maybe better build up the stack of these nice 2200uF 16V D10 GD Samxons, because the usual requirment for PSU recap is D10 ...

Comment

Lady's and Gentlemans, I find some spare time to finish up my Antec NEO 480W PSU recap. The resistor R117 I used a 2W 1.8k ohm one, as my local shop don't have 1.9k ones...

So, except the nice imput Rubycon I exchanged all the caps (in braces are Digi-key product numbers used):

C32, 34, 37, 39 - 4x 3300uF 6.3V d10 - Samxon GD
              C27, 28 - 2x 2200uF 16V d10 - Samxon GD
              C23 - 1x 220uF 16V - Samxon GK
              C58, 17 - 2x 22uF 50V d5 - Panny FM (P12927-ND)
              C22, 46 - 2x 1200uF 6.3V d8 - Panny FM (P12342-ND)
              C22 - 1x 470uF 25V d8 - Panny FM (P12389-ND)
              C4 - 1x 1uF 50V d4 - ceramic SMD (587-1366-1-ND)
              C12, 56 - 2x 10uF 50V d5 - ceramic SMD (587-1411-1-ND)
              Cx - 1x 47uF 25V d5 - Samxon RS
              Cx = unknown, but very close to the C58

There is nothing much interesting on the PSU recap, however what was interesting was the ripple readings that took me by complete shock. None of PSUs I ever saw and measured get ever close to this:

12.08V - 1.9 - 2.6mV ripple
              5.08V - 1.7 - 2.1mV ripple
              3.38V - 0.6mV ripple

I quess that you don't believe me it, and it is okay. I won't believe it anyone either. But check this out:

And remember the Eurocase PSU recap? It was similar mix of Samxon/Panny caps used there, yet the results are completely different:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...?t=2198&page=3
              After recapping on dummy load
              12.08 - 47.3mV
              5.14 - 24.1mV
              3.339 - 24.1mV
              Yet the Antec NEO on some dummy unbalanced load that was with the Eurocase proven to generate higher ripple that with normal computer usage scored unbeliable results. Whoa.

The Antec NEO 480W PSU is one HELL of PSU! Congratulations, Antec. I never saw anything even remotely close to that. Antec simply deserve one right and strong smack for Fuhjyyu caps, and a big award for designing PSU that can (with good caps) show THAT kind of output ripple.

Unbeliable

PS. and little kiss for Antec for the imput Ruby cap used

Comment

what is that thing you attach the atx plug to?
                days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pope
                  Samxon RS series are suit for PSU recapping, because high ripple, low impedance, espeically it is long life 7000 hours. I try to get some stock of 3300uF 16v D12.5mm for 12v rail of PSU.

http://www.samxon.com/PDF/prodPDF_39.pdf
                  hmm, yeah, but i already have UCC LXZ and Nichicon HE for 3300uF & 4700uF 16v 12.5mm caps. Might try your RS someday, i just love to collect caps
                  days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
                    what is that thing you attach the atx plug to?
                    Looks like a home-built dummy load. Probably some resistors and things.
                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                      Yea, a friend to me has a Antec Truepower 2.0 480w

Full of Fuhjyyu caps
                      Time came a week or so ago

The caps that control the switching chip (I think) had started to vent... The caps on the secondary side for 12v, 5v and 3,3v where fine though, of course all got replaced...

With Samxon caps, thanks Big Pope!

The vented caps are the two blurry ones in the middle top of the pic...
                      Attached Files
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Wow, not even two years old.
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Wow, not even two years old.
                          Actually I don't think it's much over 1 year old...
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

trodas

ripple measured during those little dummy load doesn't tell the whole story !!!

see if it still goes strong on actual loading ?
                            Last edited by hkivan; 01-01-2007, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Per, I think I recognize date codes of 0505 and 0512 (5th and 12th weeks of 2005) on a couple of magnetic components. While custom magnetics are usually built in batches, I doubt many vendors would knowingly build more than a month or two ahead. OTOH, who knows how long it took for the ocean voyage(s) to Europe, to get into the system and for the system to be bought.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

who knows how long it took for the ocean voyage(s) to Europe
                                say 25 days china to europe (germany). truck is nothing, can come from germany to greece or sweden in less than a week.

i am seeing stuff on the shelf here like 2-3 months old
                                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                  Actually I don't think it's much over 1 year old...
                                  Got it from the horses mouth this time :P

PSU was bought: 2005-08-24

Comment

its a world record
                                    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Got it from the horses mouth this time
                                      Please don't describe the process ... poor horse ...
                                      PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                        Please don't describe the process ... poor horse ...
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Id just like to report that Antec seem to be improving.

They have recalled the SmartPower range of PSUs due to faulty caps (although from what I have read pretty much all their previous PSUs have the same problem, Fuhjyyu caps).
                                          Of course theres no mention anywhere that they are being recalled, I only found out because my SP-450 blew and I contacted them for a return mentioning I also had an SP-350 and had read they had problems. They replaced both PSUs with ones from their latest range, the EarthWatts. From what I can see through the vents they are using REX (medium sized, gold lettering) and OST (small, gold lettering) caps. The large cap is a Rubycon with silver lettering. I can also spot one marked TEAPO which seems to be where the fan connects, hard to tell looking through the gap in the fan blades. Those are the only caps I can see without invalidating the warranty.

However these new PSUs are certified 80+% efficiency and seem to have a LOT of airflow inside them compared to the SmartPower PSUs which were rather cramped, so im hopeful. Certainly with 2 and a half years warranty left on the EA-380 (what they replaced the SP-350 with) and it will be running 24/7 on a Asus A7N8X (known to stress the 5V line) it should be a good test.

Incidentally, as part of the recall I just got my SP-350 replaced (which was still working) as well. Both PSUs I was able to open up and check (Antec requested I cut the wires so I couldnt use them but I didnt have to return them because the shipping cost more than new PSU) and the same caps were venting on both which seemed to be on the 5V line. Bear in mind the SP-350 is only 6 months old but was venting really badly although its been running 24/7 whereas the SP-450 had not.
                                          Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 01-16-2007, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X