This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Greetings. I wrote a pretty long introductions post, then this fscking forum software bounced me back and it was lost.

Ah well.

Suffice to say it involved an Ahtlon 750, an Abit KA7, a MiG-21bis and a BAe Hawk, not necessarily in that order, a learning curve, past lives that didn't want to be "a career", and an interest in fixing problems and making sense of new, often pretty thrilling tech. And pardon me if I'm the killjoy for marketing, I love (English as well as Finnish) language and will attack direct, indirect, and even more subtle attempts to pervert its function as a means of understanding each other, launching counter-attacks on my shameless discretion. OK I should learn the punctuation again. But yea basically that's me. Who're you?

Comment

Hello!

I have read up on some fascinating things on this forum and am glad to have joined.

I am an electrical engineer, but new to the more technical side of electronics so I'm hoping to learn a lot.

Comment

Hey all. I tinker and ended up here with some TV questions. Hoping for some informative discussion in the future!

Comment

Hello, I'm from London UK. I am an electronics hobbyist with quite a lot of hands on experience. I've done game console and computer repairs over the past few years. My current project is to fix a 50 inch Plasma TV and I hope I can find some help with this here.

Comment

hi there my names frank and i'm new to this forum. i'm looking for some help with restoring and trouble shooting a tv i have. as i've been told the flyback has gone dead just hoping some one can help me get a replacement and shoot me in the right direction. i'm very good with electronic and computers. i have the flyback off and the only problem is the chassis and schematics for this tv is obsolete and cannot be found due to it being a sears sr 3000 its a 1987 and its a re-brand so trying to find a match is hard. i also have pics if thats also needed of the flyback

Comment

thanks for the intro and i'm new to this site

Comment

I'll be honest, I'm posting here due to having found what seems to be useful information via Google on here... "close but no kewpie doll". I'm hoping to get just a bit closer to the solution with some suggestions here.

I've got a (free!) Samsung 50" pn50b450b1d plasma TV that probably just needs a little help...

Comment

Hello world. I've been a member since 2009 but haven't posted anything before. Oops.

Comment

I'm new to the forum and not all that familiar with circuit boards and their components, but I'm always open to learning. I'm hoping to get some guidance in troubleshooting a TV that just went down. Thanks for all the volunteer efforts from the technicians!

Comment

Hello to all
                      Thank-you for this wonderful site my name is Gary,I enjoy working with computers,I am very much a beginner at this,so I will be and observer,I appreciate you letting me register. I just wanted to say Hello to everyone .

Comment

Hi all.
                        Im Neil from New Zealand, single father of 2 kids. I have been in the computer hardware industry for the last 15 or so years but have had an interest in computers since the days of the ZX Spectrum.
                        Fairly new to electronic repairs although I have done some repair work on ps1, ps2, xbox (mostly chip mods) and xbox 360, none of which were circuitry repair.
                        I have just picked up a 42" plasma TV which is faulting and thought I would try my hand at repair to find I know nothing
                        So I am here to learn from the wealth of knowledge from these boards and hopefully help others from the experience and knowledge that I learn.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations! My name is Dudley I am a manager for a Auto parts store. So naturally I do allot of work on cars, boats, and all kind of other things. I have had what I would call a need to do kinda attitude towards most electronic repairs. While I do not always understand 100% of what I am doing I find if I do enough research and take the time I can often times muddle through. My first computer for me growing up was a tandy 1000 ...or was it a Texas instruments.....sigh too young to be 100%. I tinker with assembling computer systems like the one I am using now. I tend to like fixing things and taking them apart. Which is why I joined this site. A few weeks ago my old monitor went out and as chance would have it I had a few flat screen monitors that were in need of repair that were gifted to me at some point in the past. After several weeks of being a forum ghost reading information and concluding that the first monitor I was working on had faulty capacitors I opted to order a kit and I can proudly say that the monitor works nicely. However the next monitor I am tinkering with is proving to be not quite as nice. I am still reading the information on the site and expect at some point I will wind up asking questions on it, but I want to see how far I can get with the abundant info I already have. OH I guess I should have told you other than auto parts my big joy is junk. I find people though out some of the nicest things if you are willing to take a lil time and care with them. Lol that's how I have gotten allot of what I have from hot tubs to motorcycles.

Comment

Like others here, I find this forum to be great source - got my initial start with the PDP-11 a few years ago, have found both electronics, digital logic, Radio communications interesting. Thanks to the hosts of this site for the oppertunity.

Comment

My name is Gary; I live in the state of New York. My interests began when I did some housework for a computer back in the 80's. Mission complete I arrived home with my machine! It looked really cool on the outside but on the inside was a 286x running DOS 6.0. After struggling with DOS which seemed like months and finding no folders containing windows, I decided to investigate this machine further. I'm sure everyone on this forum has torn a computer apart at one time or another so I'll spare the graphic details. My mistake was putting the reddish colored fiber board I found in the power supply back in the wrong location so when I switched the power button on I got this weird odor and a gut wrenching little puff of smoke drift upwards towards the ceiling. I'll spare you my expletives, and continue with the phone calls. What I was told was; “Power supply? No fix to that! New one will be $349+ shipping, how do you wish to pay for that?” Thank you, good bye! In my mind “No fix to that” doesn't fly, so the first place I visited was Radio Shack, and the gentleman there led me to a book on Electronics. In that book I learned what the rings on a resistor meant and how to test a capacitor. I bought a Heath kit Oscilloscope and a multi meter; from there I started picking TV's, monitors, and other electronics off the curbs on garbage nights. I fixed a few, junked a few, got knocked on my butt by one (forgot to ground the high cap tube) I never saw such a pretty blue light like that one, but my hand and my whole arm reminded me I touched something I shouldn't have (lesson learned) so to this day I still tinker around with just about anything that happens to come my way. The newest, a Seiki 32” that has sound but no picture, 6 months old. The guy lost his receipt and tossed the TV, my luck he said take it!

Comment

Hai everybody,

Iam newer in this community , I am very much happy to join to this family. well Iam a computer technician and running my own firm.

Regards

Comment

Greetings from Greece. I am a computer mechanic with some experience in chip level repair and reballing. A lot of experience in proper reflowing too! I am here to get help and to give help of course!! You never stop learning and chip level repair is by far the most difficult thing to do!

Comment

Greetings from London. This looks like a friendly and useful forum. I'm looking for help/advice re repairing an LG 32pg6000 Plasma TV. Hopefully I'll have rights to post a new thread with details soon.

cheers

Comment

Hey, Figure I should introduce myself so, like many of you, I can wrap my head around a problem.

I'm a tinkerer! In every hobby, Guitar/amps, Computers, Shooting, Fishing, Gardening etc..
                                      I'm Canadian (hold your applause)

I own a small low voltage/automation/home theater business, hence access to TONS of broken electronics I'm constantly replacing TV's that still work or have a small issue, I'd LOVE to get more confident at TV repair so I could offer the service for clients.

I have repaired a dozen TV's/Monitors (Mostly with help from here).
                                      I've also Given up and thrown away a few GEMS (namely a 50" marantz (NEC) PLasma) that I just couldn't understand... I'm giving up on defeat.

Well, Hope to hear from some of you soon! Hopefully I can contribute some of my amateur expertise as well.

Comment

hi, to all you badcap people.hope you are all doing fine.

Comment

Here is my introduction...I taught myself basic programming from a library book in high school. I remember DOS 3.0 as a big thing on the Apple II+. I learned electronics in the Marines as a calibration tech. I have worked in the electronics field ever since. I also learned some industrial electrical along the way. I have repaired TVs when they where still CRTs. I have repaired some of the modern ones too. I work mostly on PLC programming and network stuff with that currently. I can still troubleshoot to component level.

Comment

Working...
                                          X