philips 50pfp5332d/37 plasma both boards arcing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

philips 50pfp5332d/37 plasma both boards arcing

I have a Philips plasma I'm trying to fix. I have the back off and have checked all the fuses and they are good. I don't see any bulging capacitors or any burned areas. The blue light comes on and I hear the clicking sound from the speakers but screen is black. I can unplug each sustain board but when I plug them back in they both give off a spark. It happens when the unit is unplugged and it has happened when its been unplugged for several days. I am not sure where to go from here and could use some insight on what to do next.

An additional note - the set has never been used it has been setting under a patio area outside for years in the box. No real signs of the weather affecting it and the box was not rained on just sat in the sun.

Re: philips 50pfp5332d/37 plasma both boards arcing

Can you post good clear pictures of all the boards? You need a volt meter and first it sounds like mainboard is coming up since you have sound, however we need to check the line from the power supply that is labeled VS.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I do have a meter and can upload pics when I get to my phone a little later this evening. I see the VS power supply. But I am not sure what settings to use on the meter. If you could walk me through this I would appreciate it.

Comment

You use the DC voltage setting on your meter, use a range that is above the vs voltage which is usually around 200 volts. black(-) lead to metal chassis.
        If you remove the Vs plug and power up the tv, you need to wait untill the Vs voltage from the power supply drains down before pluging it back on the Ysus, Also DO NOT remove or install the plugs when the tv is pluged in.
        Even when the plug has been disconectedfor a while there may be a small spark when re connecting the plug.

Comment

I am familiar with checking fuses and batteries with the meter but that's about it. When you say check the line - black(-) lead to metal chassis I understand. But with the red do I put it on the plug from the power supply or the wire or to the plug on the y board?

Comment

here are the pics:

the board in the last pic has a few green lights one of them flashes constantly.
            Attached Files

Comment

OK black lead to chassis red lead to power supply output to SY connector pin labeled VS. Use Dcv setting. Power up tv. This voltage should match the voltage on the panel label. Probably somewhere around 204v DC thereabouts.

See if the voltage holds steady

Comment

When I touched the pin labeled VS it sparked, popped, and a saw small amount of smoke. I unplugged the set and held in the power button for a few seconds and then waited about ten minutes. I then powered the set back up and the same leds on the boards lit up and I could hear the sound humming again.

Comment

A quick note. The set was off and I went to hit the power button on the side and I hit the channel up button by accident and the set still came on.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what all the arcing is about But unplug the TV stick the red probe into the connector labeled VS black probe to chassis make sure your voltmeter is on DC v Then plug in the TV and turn it on and read what the meter says. It sounds like there seems to be a lot of stored up voltage for some reason. Just be careful not to touch the leads. You should have around 204 to 215 V DC.

On another note channel buttons will turn Philips tv's on. That's normal.

Buzzing sounds from either side of the boards are normal. Are you sure there are no cracks in the screen?
                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-21-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I had wondered if the gas had escaped but I don't see any scratches or cracks on the screen.

I see a couple different spots that say VS on the power board not sure which one to check.

Comment

Check any. Try the VS on the SY connector. Make sure both boards are connected.

Comment

The quickest way to check the Vs is on the Ysus board fuse. It is located just above the metal heatsink slightly behind the metal bracket. another easy place would be on the Zsus board fuse.

Comment

True, but the OP stated that a lot of arcing was going on, so I gave him a good reference point that will hold the DMM probe by itself.

Comment

Ok been tied up with work so I kinda started over here is what I have so far:

power cord voltage - 117
                              fuses good capacators look good
                              vs from power board to y reads 206 states it should be 207
                              vs from power board to x reads 206 states it should be 207
                              va from power board reads 61 states it should be 63

On the logic board there is a green led that constantly blinking its right by the markings BA1
                              Last edited by ib6; 12-22-2017, 01:38 PM. Reason: adding numbers

Comment

So far everything sounds good. Those voltage readings being a little off are not going to matter at all. Can you post a clear pictures of the long boards that go vertically on the far left side of the TV. They're connected to the Y board. They have square IC chips up-and-down the board they are called buffer boards

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                  So far everything sounds good. Those voltage readings being a little off are not going to matter at all. Can you post a clear pictures of the long boards that go vertically on the far left side of the TV. They're connected to the Y board. They have square IC chips up-and-down the board they are called buffer boards
                                  I split them up. If not clear I could redo.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Ok. Is there anyh light output on the panel at all? Look In a dark room. If so move on to my next step.

That logic board with the BA1 on it. There should be a set of pins sticking out. These are considererd jumpers. We need to find pins 3 and 4 and jump them together. But before you do that, you need to disconnect the LVDS cable from mainboard to the BA1 board.
                                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-23-2017, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Ok went into a dark room there was not a total screen coverage of light at all but there were little specks that would flash in different areas of the screen. They were fast and mostly green a couple looked white. They were small and most of them were round. It was kinda like a laser pointer.

The BA1 board is located down under the chassis. I can see 2 pins and in a different spot there are 5 pins. Any ideas on how I could jump without taking it apart? Or should I given the info above?

Comment

So, no dark grey lighting of the screen.

You say you can hear the sustained boards buzzing and humming this is normal. If you press the menu button when you hear the boards buzzing do they sound like they change in pitch?

There will be a fair amount of disassembly to access the BA1 board. This board is also known as the logic board. From the sounds of it there could be 1 of 2 problems here the 1st problem could be a failed mainboard. The other could be a failed logic/BA1 board. But since you seem to be getting drive signals and you can hear the sustains buzzing maybe not.

On the SY board do you see a location that says VSCAN?
                                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-23-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X