Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
    Judging by what I'm reading, nothing fixes this issue. Even when an LG tech comes to your home and replaces every board, (twice) and even the panel.. wtf?
    well, you can't believe everything that you read on the internet... :-)

IF I believe what you say then, the obvious thing is that they have "done nothing" (quote from a "famous friend")... what does this mean, the problem wasn't in anything that they did. What happen to the cabling? hmmm :-) Further, an "lg guy" is whom... someone from the "badcaps" that goes around fixing things that had some lg experience... :-)
    Last edited by budwich; 01-08-2018, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Its not a engineer from LG but just a company that was hired by LG. At least that is how it goes in Europe. ( NL ).

So he got some spare parts with him and starts swapping boards with the result the tv is still not working haha.
      The problem is probably some hardware serial on the panel that is registered on the mainboard. For example in the service menu. Mainboard probably needs a reset to "see" the new panel. But that is just my guess
      I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

What would be the purpose of this arrangement ? I can't imagine anyone would engineer such a system unless the mainboard has to be "tuned" in some way to the oled panel but I doubt that's the case.

Comment

Well as it goes the further we go into this technology the further I see things like TV's requiring I2c, Kind of like canbus networks for cars. If a computer module has changed the new firmware has to be written so in his steps the new serial number of what you're replacing.

Yes in fact TV's have gone this direction this is sad. Like I said this seems to be the way that Sony has gone with their 2015 and up TV's like the 75" 4K that I have. If you even unplug the LVDS cable and power the TV up you immediately need to reflash the firmware or it will not ever work again as you will have a flashing green and amber status light.

If this LG is like this, it won't even accept a USB Flash since there is no voltage there.
          Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

TVs have had I2C since about the 90s, its not a new or cryptic technology, it's Philips' own technology but royalty-free licenced and has become a sort of "industry standard" for inter-IC communication.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I was referring specifically to communication between the panel and the main board. I see no upside unless it's absolutely required. And even in that case you'd think any "tuning" would be done by the tcon and not the panel itself.

Comment

The reason the main board probably doesn't fire up the panel after it has been cracked is probably to reduce the chances of fire. Seriously. It's got a 24V, 10A power supply between two thin sheets of glass, you could easily have a "thermal event" in that situation.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Dammit. So LG essentially has Main board self destruct to ensure a no power condition to prevent the "tinkerer" from restarting a potential fireball.

Comment

This is why you have to search for the service menu entrance mode, it don't want to prevent tinkerer to use it but the normal user, a tinkerer have knowledge to repair it..(hope)
                    The normal method to enter it is to use service remote, you can't have it, so start searching a wav file that reproduces the entering key...(i already said..)

Comment

I look for this on a Google search and came up empty.

So you play this magic tune in to the service port?
                      Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-08-2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

there was a post of lg remote app not long ago... perhaps that app has the necessary keys to reflect a service remote.

this is the one that I saw... I haven't tried it... others haven't been very successful from the comments and I think someone in another thread ask the zip poster here if they had some instructions to help make things work. The zip "structure" indicates "service IR" which might work... of course, you may need some sequence but again just a thought.
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...=lg+remote+app

this is some other discussion.
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...rvice+menu+app
                        Last edited by budwich; 01-08-2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

freak i've said earlier in the posts, search back, play wav file with a led on the jack..
                          i've also already said that is better to search well for all the possible eeproms i don't think the main eeprom is not powered
                          in standby, a typical funcion of it is to store the previous state of the tv when mains have been unplugged.
                          Last edited by Davi.p; 01-08-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

this is probably what davi.p is pointing to
                            http://www.forum.coolshrimpmodz.com/...n-service-menu

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                              there was a post of lg remote app not long ago... perhaps that app has the necessary keys to reflect a service remote.

this is the one that I saw... I haven't tried it... others haven't been very successful from the comments and I think someone in another thread ask the zip poster here if they had some instructions to help make things work. The zip "structure" indicates "service IR" which might work... of course, you may need some sequence but again just a thought.
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...=lg+remote+app

this is some other discussion.
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...rvice+menu+app
                              Unfortunantly im stuck with my stupid Samsung Galaxy S8. No IR Blaster... My old S5 rocked.. But unfortunantly met its demise at the lake last year....

Comment

Well tried the wav file trick. Honestly with this set up in the volume pushed to Max on my laptop I can see the infrared working through my camera but honestly it's not very bright.

Needless to say it doesn't work. It was a good try though
                                Attached Files

Comment

Can you please link me the page for the service entering that you used? Why 2 IR? I have seen with only one in the past.. however your schematic is different from your execution (watch the terminals inside the bulbs, them are paraleled not antiparalleled).

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                    Dammit. So LG essentially has Main board self destruct to ensure a no power condition to prevent the "tinkerer" from restarting a potential fireball.
                                    Think about the average person. They crack their TV screen so they turn it on and off hoping it works. Then they press on the crack and maybe try a few more times, desperate to get the picture to work again. Still, no luck. Oh, what's that glowing? Ow! Hot! I'm gonna sue LG! They burnt my pinkie!

(Or even worse, kids crack screen, don't realise why it's not working, and fire starts. It's 240W possibly at max load, don't forget how much heat that could be in a local area. It will burn.)

This is exactly why Samsung and Panasonic have shut down on fault on their thin-glass plasmas. LG used two-glass solution (with wide electrode path) so did not need it. But single-glass exposes high voltage and potential for arcing if panel is running during crack.

It's also why LED TVs turn off the backlight on open circuit, rather than trying to "re-strike" to fix an issue.
                                    Last edited by tom66; 01-09-2018, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                                      I was referring specifically to communication between the panel and the main board. I see no upside unless it's absolutely required. And even in that case you'd think any "tuning" would be done by the tcon and not the panel itself.
                                      Comms between the panel and main board would be used because LVDS is not a good protocol to send that data over, especially because it requires the video controller to directly support that interface. It's been done for quite a while, it's not a new idea.

Comment

This maybe the lg service remote not sure if it cover oled tv
                                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lg-MKJ391...19.m1438.l2649

Comment

Ok. Update. Found a mainboard on Ebay for 25 bucks. Installed it and now it turns on!! However grey screen, no picture.

Yay new dilemma.

Comment

Working...
                                          X