Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Just mainboard. The tcon gas a port that needs to be physically connected to update it.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Found another UB mainboard on ebay for $20 from PTS electronics. It's "untested"--might work might not. I figure for $20 it's not a huge risk rolling the dice.

Comment

Sweet let us know!

Comment

So to confirm, with the replacement T-con (UB), my "super dark" vignetting is gone, but has been replaced with mild vertical streaks of darker pixels on the left and a large splotch of lighter pixels in the upper right. Neither are too noticeable, so while it's a different issue than before, it's overall an improvement.

Here are my more serious issues as I continue to use the original UA mainboard:

1) I don't have the same smart TV functionality as before. Hopefully this won't be too much of an issue if I can get the UB mainboard working, but for now the system manger will not automatically initialize. It has to run through a sequence if I want to play any apps or even adjust video settings that it never had to run through before.

2) More serious--on one occasion, the TV completely shut down after about 5 minutes of use, I had to get it going again with Power Only. But it did get going again. On another occasion, the picture shut off after about 45 minutes, but the audio continued working. I was able to turn off the TV and back on with the regular magic remote.

3) Turning the TV on seems to be a bit harder--I need to hit power to power it on, and then power again to get it to actually work. It's hard to explain. I hear the click both times. I think it's related to the fact that the system isn't initialized right off the bat.

Comment

Wierd. Try a factory reset? Also can't confirm if the UB tcon you got has some issue as well. It has the power down I2C communication with mainboard if somethings not right. I think that the service menu may have error flags I'm not sure.

Comment

Could be you need a firmware update. Some OLED's had problems with the panel because of firmware.
              I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                Wierd. Try a factory reset? Also can't confirm if the UB tcon you got has some issue as well. It has the power down I2C communication with mainboard if somethings not right. I think that the service menu may have error flags I'm not sure.
                I'm leery of a factory reset. I know the regular main menu allows you to "reset settings," and I haven't tried that yet. But I think digging in to reset to original pre-leaving-the-factory settings with in_stop can brick it.

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                Could be you need a firmware update. Some OLED's had problems with the panel because of firmware.
                Firmware's up to date, and unfortunately they don't give you the option to re-install current FW.

Comment

Yes Id worry about in-stop as well.. I have heard that there are settings pre defined that will not be able to be replaced without the info from LG. Im leaning on tcon error if it keeps repeating this.

Comment

Can you provide a picture of what you are seeing on the screen?

Comment

I've attached an image of the screen as it stands right now. Aside from those circles in the background, that gray is supposed to be fairly uniform. The white splotching is much worse than earlier and cover significantly more area. Also notice the rectangle in the bottom? No clue what that would have come from.

On a good note--the regular old menu "return to factory settings" did the trick on getting my software quirks out. Haven't done a long test to see if the video shuts off, but at the very least I can turn the TV on and navigate like a normal person again.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Try setting to ISF expert 2 mode, turn brightness to 44.

My set actually has that same banding clouding issue when the brightness is turned up. Who knows it might be just something with these UA/UB tcons. Although I can't personally vouch for how the TV looked before the tcon replacement since I didn't have a chance to see.

My TV with these settings looks absolutely remarkable

Comment

thanks, seems to help some. it was definitely too bright before

Comment

UA-to-UB Upgrade complete! The mainboard was the issue. That $20 untested mainboard was a good gamble--it works like a charm. Certainly better than the $120 "fully tested and functional" mainboard.

While I was in there, I swapped out the T-con for another, just to see if I got any improvements. It has less clouding, but similar dark streaks on the side, and that image retention square is still there and I still can't figure what it'd be from. It's a bit distracting during lighter gray scenes, but passable.

That service remote is definitely necessary, because the TV does not work perfect immediately after the swap--but all is fine after a P-only cycle.

Only other issue at this point is my LG magic remote doesn't pair with it, but my Logitech works fine with it so I don't really care.

Just very happy to finally have HDR over HDMI!

Thanks a ton for your help!

Comment

That's awesome how does the picture look with HDR content? I'm currently looking to replacing the HDMI codec processor on my UB mainboard so i can slap my TV back together.

On your LG magic remote hold down the home button and the back arrow at the same time for about 10 seconds until the power light lights up on the remote. Then point at your TV go into the settings menu and I believe from there you can adapt it to work with the TV the only thing is the remote has to be reset with what I told you Sense it's still adopted to your old main board.

Also do you want to sell me you're old UB mainboard because I could probably use the H DMI codec processor up that board to get mine working? Pm me if you want.
                              Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-01-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

P.S. I love how techs at LG said UA to UB swap is not possible sense the panels are different.

Comment

The HDR looks great; and it's nice to have a lot more content with my Shield and XBone than just the couple apps offered through LG. Plus I can have HDR and atmos together. Before I'd have to pick between the two since the TV didn't support atmos.

OK magic remote paired--thanks. I'd tried that already, but now realize I misunderstood what the home button was in the instructions. I'd been pressing the wheel.

I still would have assumed the board swap wasn't possible if LG Europe wasn't performing the upgrade gratis.

I'm curious if swapping the UA-only T-CON is even necessary. Not curious enough to try.

Happy to sell you the other UB mainboard. PM incoming.

Comment

UA tcon is UA specific. It appears that it does not support the Hi data that HDR puts out.

This is the primary reason why LG said UB is not compatible with you a due to the fact that manufacturers consider tcon as a part of a panel. When you swap tcon the panel is manufactured with the same principle as in only accepts what the tcon is throwing at it.
                                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-01-2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                      UA tcon is UA specific. It appears that it does not support the Hi data that HDR puts out.

This is the primary reason why LG said UB is not compatible with you a due to the fact that manufacturers consider tcon as a part of a panel. When you swap tcon the panel is manufactured with the same principle as in only accepts what the tcon is throwing at it.
                                      Nice--thanks for clarifying.

Unrelated--it occurs to me that my TV was out of commission for a week and a half and no one in my family cared. Thanks, mobile devices.

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar51 View Post
                                        Nice--thanks for clarifying.

Unrelated--it occurs to me that my TV was out of commission for a week and a half and no one in my family cared. Thanks, mobile devices.
                                        Lol same here. 3 kids and a wife. House full of tablets. As long as Comcast stays up everyone seems happy.

Comment

Well this is a pleasant surprise. The streaks and spots have gone away. There's some minor vertical banding but it's much less distracting.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X