Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Shit..... back to square one.

First power up. Grey screen. Not black, but like muddy grey. No input, no menu, nothing.

I start to check cabling connections. All looks ok. I turn it off.

2nd try. Grey screen however brighter grey than last time. Still nothing. I Turn it off.

3rd try, same as 2nd. I Turn it off.

Let it sit off in standby while i eat dinner Thinking it's going to do some magic automatic boot load reset or something

4th try 1/2 hour later. Turns on. Dark grey picture thus time. Turns off by itself after 5 seconds.

5th try, lighter grey screen. Turns off 5 seconds again.

Have meter in hand and ready to check voltage outputs.

Turn it on foor the 6th time. No turn on. Same shit as the other boards. Power button yield's just a dim LG symbol with everyone smile a quick Flash. Pressing our own remote is a 1 second on 1 second off consecutive Flash 30 times in a row.

So I can say no doubt in my mind say for sure that it has been locked out since the last 2 times it turned off by itself.

Since I never got an actual functioning picture I'm going to go on your sump tion that possibly a panel ID misconfiguration or something.

On a side note I should mention that the new panel came with a new tcon of course but this tcon is a bit different although part number on the Internet matches it to this exact model and suffix. Tcon cables are carried to the other side and power supply cabling to T con is carried on the opposit so longer cables were provided with the panel.
    Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-09-2018, 10:34 PM.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Ok new update!!! davi.p you were spot on!!!!! File serv-Power_only works!!! It will get the tv out of this locked state!! I had to adjust my IRs pointed directly into the sensor pick up on the tv! This must be done in a dark Room as there is not a lot of voltage to push the infrared from the speaker output Jack on my laptop but the chest enough to get the power back up.

The WAV file works!!

Comment

So where I'm at now if I can get the main board to power up but as soon as it sees tcon It shuts down. You're allowed 5 retries in then lock out. This is where I play the wave file through the IR from my laptop to repower the TV. Now LVDS cables there are 2. A wide one and a narrow one. If the wide one is plugged in I get a shutdown. If I am disconnect the wide one, the main board will stay powered up. No video, just a lit screen. On the tcon I notice it has a Flash and an eeprom. My original main board will not power up I can get it to click with the wave file but there is no power to USB or LVDS or a return for drive on so esentially it's dead. I'm not sure if I killed it by playing around or not but the other board from the smashed screen TV is a 55EG9600- UB model. My panels are 55EG9600-UA prefix. Does the same thing as the board I got in the mail today (which is a UA) where if both LVDS cables are plugged in I get a shut down.

I wonder if the main board holds the serial number or version of the T con and therefore if the numbers don't jive it won't power up. This can be my only philosophy since the tcon has a Flash and an eeprom. Maybe data registration through I2C?

Comment

The odd thing is When I 1st installed the main board I got off eBay the screen would come on and stay on with a Gray background. I was able to do this 2 or 3 consecutive times and now immediate shut off when tcon is connected

Comment

This must be done in a dark Room
            This is very interesting, that is why maybe i can't use the Android multi remotes simulator...
            Well sorry for the question.. are you testing always the new panel? With new or original Tcon? So when you unlock it by the IR sequence it can start for 5 times?
            LG service manuals apart the schematics are all a big piece of S*IT..
            Well i suggest you a thing, if you have an eeprom programmer like CH341, take the original tcon and main board and read the content of its main eeprom, on the ma.bo. that is the biggest one (capacity), then upload that contents to new panel's tcon and new mainboard after saving for safety the previous content. IF it doesn't work try to enter serv. menu, if doesn't work, try to search the web for "IN-STOP" IR code that i think resets the mainboard to the defaults..

Comment

Yes will try to power on 5 times consecutively then locked out.

The Web site you provided me does not provide the IN-STOP file. I'm trying everything on the good new panel TV. I have tried all 3 main boards now. 2 with the same results. The 3rd board the original board from the TV that I purchased does not power up any 5v communications to the USB or the digital audio. Does not look at LVDS/tcon. Only PS-ON.

Also I tried all 3 main board configurations on the old panel as well and does the same thing.

Comment

Could there be an issue with your new panel,? Have you tried running it with missing ribbons?
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

That crossed mind. Then I decided hey, why don't I try disconnecting the panel from the tcon. Same shit. People would not be selling these boards refurbished or anywhere on the Internet without a clause stating that you need to replace the timing controller with the board.

So I can only imagine it possibly there something else that I'm not doing right like an eeprom reset IN-STOP reset or something to that liking however without a wave file for IN-STOP I don't know what else I can do.

Comment

Considering that both of these mainboards both stay powered if I disconnect the wider lvds Tells me that maybe it is looking for some serial feedback or checking some kind of binary serial number from timing controller
                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-10-2018, 06:16 PM.

Comment

OK for some reason I thought I check this before but Tom yes the main board stays on with the panel disconnected from the timing controller

Edit:: And then back to turning off. Even with panel disconnected.
                      Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-10-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Ok I can power tv without shutdown if I short SCL and SDA on tcon. No picture thou still. Interestingly nuff I can also power the TV and keep it live by unplugging the 12 V supply to the tcon. But if I try to plug it in again immediate shutdown. However I get a bright white Flash on the screen before shutdown.

So now I'm almost certain that it's an EEPROM issue on tcon. Maybe tcon supposed to match maiinboard?

Pictures of tcon
                        Attached Files

Comment

Got it fixed!! Bad tcon. I decided to test my luck and strip the tcon off the new panel and put my old one on. Works!!! So eeprom is not an issue and does not need to register with mainboard. However tcon will lockout mainboard if panel problem arises. !

What a journey this has been! Now time to try to work the bug out of the bad one. Maybe I can make something of it. Glad I picked it up! Needed the tcon from it.

Sorry for the piss poor pic. It's late. I'll take some tomorrow and post!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-11-2018, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Glad you managed to fix your tv its been a learning curve and we have all learnt from this thread so was the bad tcon included in your purchase of the new oled screen? so you used the tcon from the other smashed screen tv you picked up and your original mainboard out of your original tv ?

Comment

Wow very nice! Good job
                              I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

vinceroger69:
                                so you used the tcon from the other smashed screen
                                He said "original" so the first bought tcon..

Now just to repeat, you've 2 completes TV and one broken screen with tcon?
                                So if the first tcon is ok, then your first screen is bad.. why dont you try to understand its problem? You can become with 2 giant tv Ok..!

NOTE: can you put a smile icon in the next post so who arrives knows this is a fix?
                                Last edited by Davi.p; 01-11-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

God damn SWEET ! Congratulations freak and thanks for the info too.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                    Glad you managed to fix your tv its been a learning curve and we have all learnt from this thread so was the bad tcon included in your purchase of the new oled screen? so you used the tcon from the other smashed screen tv you picked up and your original mainboard out of your original tv ?
                                    Yes exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                                      vinceroger69:

He said "original" so the first bought tcon..

Now just to repeat, you've 2 completes TV and one broken screen with tcon?
                                      So if the first tcon is ok, then your first screen is bad.. why dont you try to understand its problem? You can become with 2 giant tv Ok..!

NOTE: can you put a smile icon in the next post so who arrives knows this is a fix?
                                      That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm surprised to see that somebody trying to power up a smashed panel did not destroy the original Tcon.

Also surprised to see brand new tcon Defective

Comment

Also I forgot to mention that the panel has very slight hint of image retention . I See something of the top of the screen where there was an X at the check mark it something in a middle that looks like it was an excel spreadsheet.

The front of the panel still has a protective coating on it in the back does too BUT this panel was definitely used.

Comment

OLED has same problem as plasma , image retention. Some models had problems with firmware.

Maybe do some kind of pixel flipper for a while ?
                                          I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Working...
                                          X