Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

It's currently set up as UA board and UA t-con, and not working. When I get a chance, I'll put the UB t-con and cables back in and see how it starts up. Might possibly need to order another T-con if things don't improve and I can't get the UA working again, but I still don't understand why the UA/UA configuration suddenly crapped out.

And then in the end, I'd still like to figure out how to get UB/UB working if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
      So is your set working now? With your UA board and UB tcon? If so, I would suggest running it for a few days without slapping it back together just in case my theory is incorrect, and the picture does not straighten out.

And when you mentioned half panel was black, was this left/right or top/bottom w the UB mainboard and UB tcon? And your UA nainboard produces a full image with the same UB tcon installed?
      On my first attempt with the UB/UB configuration, the right half was black, left half was "no signal" image, and no inputs seemed to work. All of the cabling seemed well seated. The same UB T-Con gave me a full screen with the UA mainboard. When I got the UB Tcon working with the UA mainboard, I was using the shorter UB cables.
      Last edited by kevlar51; 01-26-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Your UB mainboard is bunk that you got. I would exchange it. Prob had firmware issues or bad BGA under main processor.
        As for your original config (UA and UA), I would suggest the reset like I mentioned with the button.

Theres no reason the UB/UB config wont work properly, all UA/UB panels are the same.. The LC650LQD / LC550LQD panels with the GH P** whatever should all be able to operate UA/UB with no problems.. My Frankenset is living proof.
        Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-26-2018, 12:20 PM.
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Your UB mainboard is bunk that you got. I would exchange it. Prob had firmware issues.
          As for your original config (UA and UA), I would suggest the reset like I mentioned with the button.

Theres no reason the UB/UB config wont work properly,
          Do you think a similar reset might work on the UB mainboard? This was an ebay purchase with "no returns"--but I think it's protected through an ebay guarantee. Sucks because UB mainboards are hard to find. I've got the most recent firmware update ready and waiting on a USB stick, but it doesn't do me any good if I can't keep it powered up for more than 5 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar51 View Post
            Do you think a similar reset might work on the UB mainboard? This was an ebay purchase with "no returns"--but I think it's protected through an ebay guarantee. Sucks because UB mainboards are hard to find. I've got the most recent firmware update ready and waiting on a USB stick, but it doesn't do me any good if I can't keep it powered up for more than 5 seconds.
            Probably not.. You can try the button resets, but i doubt it.. Its probably someone elses return from the same issue..

My original UA mainboard went out. But this was in my original force starting with the failed panel. I shorted eeproms 3.3v to ground on accident. Luckilly UA mainboards are easy to come by

Comment

I'm fully swapped to the UB T-con, UB cables, UA main board and I'm up and running again.

Unfortunately the reset button didn't seem to do any good with my original UA t-con. Should I consider it toast?

I did swap over to the UB main board again, and successfully used the service remote to get back to the image, unfortunately it was still only showing a picture with half the screen, though I was able to navigate menus on the left side with the remote. I also noticed when switching inputs that it wasn't actually a black screen, because the "TV" input yielded static, and the right side was a streaky mess of static--so it only looked black on other inputs because the screen was otherwise black anyway. I did notice on the power-only screen that the firmware rev is up to date.

I fooled around with the service remote trying to find an option that would help and I must have screwed something up when i hit "in stop" because the picture went out entirely--though audio worked (Static sound on TV input). Even power-only wouldn't get me a picture on the screen.

But swapping back to the UA main board got me back to normal.

Comment

Yeah your UB mainboard had issues. It's probably the main processor. I'm going to attempt to install my UB mainboard into mine this weekend. This has me intrigued. I'll let you know the results.

If I were you I would return that UB and either try to find a good one or just it like it is currently.

Is the picture getting better with the vignetting you were telling me about?

And yes your UA tcon bit the dust. You may have static discharged into the eeprom which wiped out its initial settings. This is exactly what the UA t con was doing to me that is the same one as yours with the longer cables. I couldn't get it to display an image to save my life.

I believe it is an early revision tcon . One of the 1st ones when they had a design that was going to put the power supply on the right side and main board on the left however for some reason they decided to put the main board on the right instead. Also I noticed some early OLED tv s that were sold in the Asian markets that had the boards on opposite ends.

I believe this was probably due to them running off the rest of the tcons that were manufactured So they could use them out before the changeover to the new style which is the one you and I have in our TVs now
                Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-27-2018, 12:58 AM.

Comment

I'll need to run the picture through some motions to really test if the vignetting is gone. The picture issues I described before would best be described as mura with some light banding. But for the most part you only notice it on light gray, uniform pictures, which is tolerable if that's it.

I'm fully swapped to the new T-con, new cables, old main board and I'm up and running.
                  I did swap over to the UB main board again, and successfully used the service remote to get back to the image, unfortunately it was still only showing a picture with half the screen, though I was able to navigate menus on the left side with the remote. I also noticed when switching inputs that it wasn't actually a black screen, because the "TV" input yielded static, and the right side was a streaky mess of static--so it only looked black on other inputs because the screen was otherwise black anyway. Tried reset buttons which didn't seem to do any good and at some point the picture went out entirely--though audio worked (Static sound on TV input). Even the service remote wouldn't get me a picture.

I'll do my best to get my money back on the UB mainboard, but I don't have the highest hopes. Can't decide if I want to go down this hole again if I see another UB mainboard pop up. We'll see. I'm curious to find out what you see this weekend.

Thanks a ton for all your help and feedback.

Comment

So if I can't return the UB board, think I should try the oven trick?

Comment

The oven trick usually does more harm than good if you have access to a heat gun or a good hairdryer you could try heating up to the main processor in areas around the board. However I wouldn't go much further until I try my board in my TV. At least at that point we know what we're dealing with.

Comment

The "half screen" issue is really throwing me off though. I'm very much a beginner at this, but I wouldn't think that a half screen picture error would be a mainboard issue. But It's only present with this mainboard, so that would indicate otherwise.

Comment

On a normal led/lcd/plasma TV has screen issues are usually related to a tcon or failed panel. The more I think about it the more it makes me question if it is in fact a bad main board or an incompatible main board. Not knowing the inherent pinout configerations I'm not sure if a main board can produce half image.

The only thing is the fact that that tcon will give a full image with a different main board so this is really odd.

And considering a UB tcon works in a UA panel, Also I'm not convinced that there are inherent differences within the panel itself, I have seen threads from different websites stating that the UB equipment does not work in a UA. I guess I'm just not convinced unless a grab the bull by the horns and do it myself miss my TV since I have it all here .. Then we will know for sure
                          Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-27-2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Yep, I'll hold for your results--thanks

Comment

IT WORKS! The UB mainboard works the TV is officially a UB with HDR support!!

It's your mainboard man.

Comment

Nice.

Part of me was hoping it would give you the same issue so that I could definitely rule this out and stop worrying about it

Now I guess I need to be on the lookout for another UB mainboard...

Comment

Yep. Mine though, my HDMI ports are dead... I fried a voltage regulator a few weeks back when I pulled a dumbass move and ran the probe across 12v to ground. I replaced the regulator but fried the ferrite coil. I ran a bead of solder to jump it but guess it needs more work.

Comment

can you tell me what firmware it's running?

the practical difference between the UA and the UB is the HDMI 2.0a ports on the UB (thus able to display HDR over HDMI)

Comment

Just updated. Had 4.20.75 now has 4.25.40

Comment

Just updated. Had 4.20.75 now has 4.25.40
                                        Cool--that's not available on the UA model

Comment

Just to confirm--firmware changes only affect the mainboard, right? no affect to T-con, etc?

Comment

Working...
                                          X