Philips 52PFL5704D/F7--backlight, no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 52PFL5704D/F7--backlight, no picture

One minute it's working--then I turn off, leave for 5 minutes, and turn it on to no picture. The backlight works, but there is no picture. Nothing--can't change input or bring up menu. Philips logo does not display on power up. Backlight flashes on, then off, then solid on again (consistent with what happens when Philips logo displayed prior to issue.

Preliminary reading tells me it could be a t con board issue, but I'd like to be sure before dropping $80+. Can you help me out?

Re: Philips 52PFL5704D/F7--backlight, no picture

Need good clear straight on pictures of back of tv with cover off and each board.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Will get as soon as possible, tonight, hopefully.

Comment

But audio?

Comment

I haven't been able to pinpoint whether or not I have audio yet. We don't have cable, and the only device that was outputting to the tv was a (monitorless) streaming PC.

I am going to try to connect a laptop via HDMI (so I can see what I am controlling) and have it play music as I blindly cycle through TV inputs, and will let you know if the TV outputs sound as I cycle through its inputs.

Comment

So, I was able to confirm that I do indeed have sound, connecting laptop via HDMI. Eventually, I blindly found the correct input, and successfully played audio through the TV.

So, current state:
            --no picture
            --backlight is very apparently working
            --I do have sound

I will get into the back of the TV at first opportunity. It's currently on a mount, and I need a second set of hands before I can proceed.

EDIT: Got the TV off the mount, but my torx screwdriver doesn't fit to remove the back panel screws, need a skinnier one. Will proceed ASAP.
            Last edited by bdl1989; 11-14-2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

from memory they are a t10 piece.
              WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

First thing to control are voltages on tcon

Comment

Originally posted by attainteddragon View Post
                  from memory they are a t10 piece.
                  Makes sense--one size smaller than the long t15 bit I had, of course

EDIT: Unclear. I have the right size torx head available, as I was able to remove some of the screws. However, the piece that my torx bits go into on my screwdriver is too fat to reach the screws in the narrow channels around the periphery of the TV.
                  Last edited by bdl1989; 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM.

Comment

i have had that problem before. had to buy a security set as it had a longer handle and was not overly thick.

Comment

Sorry for the delayed reply. By day I am a teacher, who just got through a very busy part of the year. Now I have some time again to try to diagnose and repair, if you'd be so kind as to offer some help .

I've attached pictures of the main board, power supply, and tcon board. What is the next logical step?
                      Attached Files

Comment

next thing to do is check that you have 12 volt on the t-con fuse. it is on the bottom left.

Comment

The tcon photo is the only one needed but need to be re done, without your shadow on.. and remove those 2 bottom silicon pads.
                          If you want to go ahead you can modify the photo with adding of each electrolytic voltage.
                          Last edited by Davi.p; 11-25-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Hopefully this photo is sufficient. Poor lighting in my basement .
                            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I'm not clear on where I should be checking voltages. I can get a multi-meter, and point the leads where directed to, but I have no idea where...

Comment

Do you see those silver cylinders? Them are electrolytic capacitor (EL.CO.) , test the voltage on them (purple band is the negative) and report measurements on the picture using Windows Paint or other SW..

Comment

Working...
                                X