Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony KDL-65W850A Dead

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
    The 1110021 is the regulator (SN1110021PWP). Measure the dc voltages on the pins.
    I thought we were talking about this regulator..?? Not the connector.

I did not use a resistor. I want to make sure the backlights come on to confirm the main board. Should I just be able to jump the PS-ON and BL_ON? Use a resistor for the BL_ON only?

Comment

A resistor is used to protect the power supply from being accidentally short circuited to what you are connecting to especially if there was a fault. That would explain why you said it was pulling the 3.3V down to 0V.
      You should use a resistor between STB3.3V to Power_ON and then another resistor between Backlight_ON and either STB3.3V or REG12V. Use 1K resistors.
      Last edited by dick_barton; 05-22-2016, 02:00 PM.
      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

How do I know if BL_ON should be 3.3 or 12V?

Comment

I don't know not having any information on the set but give it a quick try using the 1K resistor from Reg12V to Backlight_On since you already said that connecting to the STB3.3V did not work.

Edit
          I should also add with the main board disconnected.
          Last edited by dick_barton; 05-22-2016, 04:18 PM.

Comment

No it's not working with 12V either.

Comment

What are the voltages on the BL_ON pin and BL_ERR pins before and when you apply 12V.

Comment

Could it be a backlight issue and power board causing the main board not to turn on the PS because of an error, or do you think the main is bad? I haven't worked on many Sonys, but I remember a couple and it wasn't easy to diagnose backlight issues. The SM is pretty much useless..

Comment

That's what we are trying to establish with the test so as to rule in or out the main board.
                  Whats the model number of the power supply APS-xxx?

Comment

APS-352 and APS-356 is second PS. I don't have a 1k resistor, but I do have a bench 5a 30V power supply I can use. BTW the second PS board, AC is connected from one to the other, but I only 1 have 1VAC at the 2nd bridge rectifier, not sure if it is supposed to kick on with a relay somehow..

Comment

Little update.. When jumping PS_ON with the main board disco'd, I get 6.1V for BL_ERR, and 0.2V for LD_ERR off the top connectors that connect the 2 power boards, but not the connector going to the main board.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
                        Little update.. When jumping PS_ON with the main board disco'd, I get 6.1V for BL_ERR, and 0.2V for LD_ERR off the top connectors that connect the 2 power boards, but not the connector going to the main board.

So you have BL_ERR = 6.1V when you have:-
                        PS_ON jumpered to STB3.3V and BL_ON jumpered to 12V.
                        Is the BL_ERR = 0V prior to applying the 12V. If so it looks like you have a backlight problem.

Comment

No the BL_ERR = 6.1V when just PS_ON is jumpered, I haven't tried jumping BL_ON at the same time.. That should be done as if the signal was coming from the main board correct?

Comment

You jumper them both at the same time with the main board disconnected and then measure BL_ERR if the backlights fail to come on.

Comment

OK I applied 3.3V to PS_ON, and 12V to BL_ON.

BL_ON drops to 6.1V, and BL_ERR is also at 6.1V.

Comment

I must admit I don't know what else to do at this time not having any schematic to check through.
                                It does look as though you have a backlight error but I would wait and see what others make of the results.

Comment

OK thanks.

On Sony, are we sure if BL_ERR is usually high or low when there's a problem?

Comment

I'm not familiar with the set so I don't know.

What voltage do you have across the capacitors marked on the two 160V 220uF (hard to read) close to the leds when you attempt to switch out of standby with everything connected? It may only be a brief pulse. I'm thinking that you have a led fault.

Comment

All board connected. What DCV do you have at the AC-OFF DET pin? <1V = bad, >3V or so = good.
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
                                        but I only 1 have 1VAC at the 2nd bridge rectifier, not sure if it is supposed to kick on with a relay somehow..
                                        Which (and where) second bridge rectifier. I only have the pictures you provided as a guide.

Comment

Hi Budm
                                          Here are some measurements given earlier.

3.3V at AC_Off-Det, and 0v at PS-ON. I jumped PS-ON from the 3.3STBY, and then the REG+12V comes up. I still can't figure out where the test points are for DC/DC converter on the main board, but all the fuses are good and have either 12v or 5v.

Comment

Working...
                                          X