e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Sorry, but another question. If no one has some extra MOSFET/COXA transistors I could buy, I would be happy to purchase them online. I looked at Mouser electronics and they do not offer the RTR020N05 part number. Rather, they offer: RTR020N05TL. I'm not sure what the "TL" means on the end. Is the "TL" version the same as the non-TL version? Thanks for any help you can offer.

G'day,

Vinish

Comment

I just repaired my 70" following the instructions found here. The blacks are a little washed out but other than that the picture looks good. The problem I am having is after ten or fifteen minutes the TV will shut off like it is over heating. I can turn it back on but it will shut down again after a few minutes. Anyone else experience this?

Comment

I would guess the main board. Have you tried heating or cooling the cpu on the main board?

Comment

Is anyone good at soldering? A buddy of mine tried it but being that the space is so tight he couldn't solder the mosfet chip on for me. I'm about to order a new tcon board and I need someone to solder the new mosfet chip for me. Please have a PayPal so it can be easier for all parties involved. Please message me so we can figure it out. I'll pay for shipping both ways.
          Last edited by Lynk783; 12-07-2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nwcs View Post
            I would guess the main board. Have you tried heating or cooling the cpu on the main board?
            No, I haven't tried anything else yet. I will tear it down again tomorrow and make sure everything is attached properly and make sure nothing is grounding out.

Comment

Please clarify, freakaftr8: After verifying that a replacement T-Con board restores the picture with the right side boards disconnected, you also replaced the side boards to restore the full picture, peeling the driver tabs to remove the old ones and re-applying the replacements. Is that correct?

Comment

nope... once the tabs are peeled from the panel, that it is. The side boards on that side are tossed in the garbage and you begin watching your "nice tv picture" :-) ... nothing else to do but put the back cover on.

Comment

Well, another satisfied customer. Satisfied with this board and the experts who found the fix .... not so satisfied with Vizio. I followed the instructions in this lengthy thread and my Vizio E701i-a3 is back in business. I bought four transistors, unsoldered the offending one, soldered in a new one, peeled off the tabs on one side and the TV works like a charm. I actually got someone in my community to help with the soldering but after having seen him do it, I think I could manage if I had a VERY pointy soldering iron tip. Thanks to freakaftr8 and budwich for their tutorial in this thread.

One last point. I looked at Mouser electronics for the replacement transistor and they do not offer the RTR020N05 part number. Rather, they offer: RTR020N05TL. I'm not sure what the "TL" means on the end but this is what I ordered and it worked fine.

G'day,

Vinish

Comment

Made an account only to follow this thread. Picked up an E701i-a3 for $100 and figured I could follow this thread and get it back up and running. Read through it a couple times and was able to get it all fixed up! Mine turned out to the left side (looking at the TV). Could see one of the drivers had burned up. When I first took them off and turned it on, there were colored lines running though the whites. Figured it was something with the LVDS cables so I took them out, cleaned them up, and it fixed it.

The picture is pretty good, but I can definitely notice it isn't "stock". Some fine print is slightly blurry, but it's 90% there. Also just a heads up, it was discussed before but this "fix" will make the TV have a pretty distinct input lag when playing fast paced games. Would make a great TV for just watching regular TV or movies, but definitely not for playing Call of Duty or Battlefield. But hey, can't win them all! Thanks to all the members for their input here, A++ community.

Comment

SportsterPaul! I got a failed Sharp LC-70SQ15U in October (built December 2014) that had developed lines and gone dark, with a 3/2 flash code. NicksTV helped me identify the panel as the problem and the right side specifically. Pulling a bottom interconnect got me 3/4 picture, but with browning in the 3rd quarter. Disconnecting the corner cable enabled me to reconnect the bottom interconnect and get a whole picture, but with the right side darkening. Then Nick told me about this thread. Pulled the right side drivers and I have a good picture! Woohoo!!!! Thanks to you all!!!
                      Btw, because this Sharp has protection, no board blew; but the protection allowed me to reconnect the corner cable until the failing driver got so bad it made the T-con's multi-channel power supply chip (U6802) heat to 180F and sing before it would shut down the set.

Comment

My friends tv went black....it's a 701i-a3e model... wonder if has same issue. Would rather change out a chip then buy a new tcon board any day..anyone have any spares? Figure I do the reading first before attempting the fix

Comment

Yup send me your address

Comment

Hello everyone I just want to say thanks for all the great info. I have a 70 that also went black. I followed the info on the thread and ordered the transistors for the tcon board and repaired it. I found the bad drivers on the right side and removed them. Bingo TV works great. Great job everyone. Thanks again.

Comment

Haha good to see This Thread still alive. Yes I'm still alive just have a lot going on lately with family haven't had a chance to be on the internet. Just wanted to tell everybody I just repaired a Vizio M70 D series 70 inch. Same problem this model is a 3D and the left drivers were bad. It appears that the lower-end Vizio / Sharp/ Sony that uses the e701's t-con board is the only board that seems to short out when failed drivers happen. All the Sony and sharp in Vizio 3D models seem to have more robust t-con boards that can handle the side drivers shorting. Also on a side note I would like to add that I ran across another customer with the common shorted-out t-con bad right hand side drivers on an E701. I was able to use the t-con board out of a Sony 70-inch 3D model and it worked perfectly.
                              Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

freakaftr8,

I want to thank you for this great method! I have just fixed a 60-inch M60-C3 contrary to the popular belief that this method only works for the 70-inch models and higher. Please take a look at the thread that I have posted earlier today:

Vizio M60-C3: no picture, backlight works.

Comment

Very interesting nice save! Tom66 mentioned this before in another thread I believe where he removed a damaged horizontal driver that wasn't a carryover driver from the vertical hates and it worked.

Comment

Thank you everyone for all of this information. I am having the same problem. When I replaced the T-Con board and had the right driver board disconnected, I was able to get a picture. As soon as I reconnected the right driver board, the T-Con board failed. So I removed the Right Driver board after I am fixing the T-Con board and then test again. When I removed the cable from the panel, a very small portion did not come off the panel. Is this going to still cause a problem? If so, then is there an easy way to get this very small portion off? Thank you.

Comment

If the picture is fine now I wouldn't worry about it. It would take some very fine tweezers to remove the fragments.

Comment

So I just found this thread and I have the same model. Though it was interesting...I was watching the TV and the screen just slowly faded to black lol. I got the TV from someone else and just replaced the T-Con board and it was working fine for a good while...like 6-7 months. Now it just has sound and no picture but the backlight does work. So i'm gonna try the only ribbon trick and see if everything still pops up first and if so, then I know i just need to remove the tab drivers on the side. Is the T-Con board always fried when this occurs?

Comment

Yes usually. Do you still see a brief image upon powerup?

Comment

Working...
                                          X