• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

great... $50 well spent

Comment

Lol good to know that this fix is still holding up! Hi all! I'm back from the dead.

I have to report that original Vizio that I fixed last year when we first found this out is still working fine to this day. This Sony 70 inch however recently died. It looks as if the other ribbon drivers on the opposite side went bad. The very bottom ribbon and driver on that side. Since this is a 3D panel same architecture but just a smidge different could have been a factor.
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I am not sure if this is a problem with the vizio but watching direc tv I get a lot of what looks like macro blocking on dark scenes. It also has sort of a bluish look to it. I replaced my 70 inch rear projection tv with the vizio. I am going to swap hdmi cables and try a blu ray to see if it is still present. But it was bad enough for my wife to comment on how bad it looked. She wanted me to put the other tv back.

Comment

hmmm... what settings have you adjusted? I think "macro blocking" is a "transmission/decoding issue" not usually associated with the display "work". As for color, the first question needs an answer especially comparing to a rear projection tv. :-)
          Last edited by budwich; 10-10-2016, 06:45 AM.

Comment

I ran DVE calibration bluray disk on both the "standard & calibrated" presets. On nice bright scenes the picture looks great. I am going to make a few changes. First I had swapped out my DIRECTV Dvr that I had originally hooked up to the Sony and had replaced it with one of the mini genie boxes. Also I changed the hdmi cable to a longer one. I am going to put everything back to the way I had it and test it. I will try and get some pics up.

Thank you

Comment

Also could it be a t-con board issue perhaps? Before I had swapped out the one mosfet on the original board I had ordered a "new" spare from EBay which should be here today.

Comment

Here is a pic
                Attached Files

Comment

And another. Swapped out direct tv box and used different HDMI cable.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Tried different HDMI ports and also component and still same issue. Almost like the shadow have a greenish sort of tinge and a lot of noise to them.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just hooked up PS3 and put the Dark Knight on and was same thing. If I set the black detail to high and gamma all the way up it lessens the noise but still noticeable. I will see if the replacement t-con will fix it. Oh and also I have a few of those small white pin dots on the screen.

Comment

Macroblocking is most likely a problem with the main board. I suppose it could be a t-con board but have you tried resetting all the cables? Also the white pin spots. There's nothing you can do about that is a defect in the polarizer is behind the LCD panel I noticed this model as they age gets worse and worse. That was a sharp failure

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                          Macroblocking is most likely a problem with the main board. I suppose it could be a t-con board but have you tried resetting all the cables? Also the white pin spots. There's nothing you can do about that is a defect in the polarizer is behind the LCD panel I noticed this model as they age gets worse and worse. That was a sharp failure
                          Thanks for the info. I had ordered a spare t-con just in case the original I could not fix. I will swap it out and see. As for cables I reseated all of them. I wonder if the LVDS cables may cause this as well? I ran across another post about on some vizios there was issues with green tinge in the blacks that was due to bad LVDS cables.

Thank you

Comment

Could be lvds cable. They seem to affect black areas more than lighter shades but I'm more suspecting main board or tcon. I'm leaning more towards tcon.

Comment

Count another one fixed. It was the right side on this one. I bought another card & blew the trans. on it then bought 5 trans. so I have the card & 4 trans. left over if anyone is interested. Thanks to all for the generous input.

Comment

Swapped out the t-con with the spare I got from eBay. Still same issue with the shadow/dark area of the picture with the noise. I did a factory reset from the service menu and went through the setup process.

If I set the gamma to 2.4 and black level to high I can clear it up a bit but I do not like the overall image. Also noticed that where the noise is it has a bluish tinge to it. If I go into the color correction and adjust I can clear it up some as well. I am wondering if this is a panel problem now?

Comment

Here are a few more pics. Also I just noticed one thing. The replacement board is labeled ZH and original is a ZG in the part #. It almost seems like the replacement is worse with the noise.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is another pick of Avia calibration DVD that shows more of the issue. If you notice the bar that is suppose to be the darker shade of black has more of the noise as bad.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by euroryde View Post
                                      So I thought I would try and fix another 70" as I had success the first time but I have ran into a problem, quick version. after removing tabs, new t-con tv is now working again but the screen quality isn't very good real pixelated / gassy looking pictures attached. I have tried cleaning all cables changed setting but nothing seems to be helping. Thnaks
                                      Going through the thread again I came across this posting at #397.

This is exactly what I have going on. He tried a replacement mainboard and still no change.
                                      Last edited by splatee; 10-13-2016, 05:55 PM.

Comment

That's odd the only other thing I could possibly think of is dry cleaning the contacts of the lvds cable with denatured rubbing alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                          That's odd the only other thing I could possibly think of is dry cleaning the contacts of the lvds cable with denatured rubbing alcohol
                                          That was going to be my next step. I was also going to check the side panel driver ribbon cable also.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                          X