e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

no not anymore...when it faded. I did turn tv off. Then turned it back on and saw a little bit of something but then it faded again to black.

Comment

Sounds like your tcon. Rule of thumb is it start it with one side disconnected off the t-con board. Keep your hand on the plug when you power it up if you don't get the V symbol within 2 seconds quickly unplug the TV and then try the other side. This will alleviate blowing the t-con board up leaving it powered up with a shorted panel
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

So it's not always the right side of the TV then? I had been assuming it was from the initial post. Good to know.

Comment

Yes. Can be right or left

Comment

Hey Freakaftr8, I found another tv that this method will save. A friend bought a pallet of returns/demo/damaged box TVs. I was suprised as to how many just had bad boxes but good TVs lol!! Anyhow, I'm fixing the ones that were returns. There is an Element 4K E4SJ5516H. Someone worked on it before returning it and pinched one of the side ic drivers. It made lines about 3/4 of the way across. I noticed that they were not apparent on certain menus like it wasn't driving from that side. I took a chance and pulled it. Fat bar with lighter color but still a picture. The picture acted like the sharp tv with drag and darkness. Pulled all of them on that side and bingo. All good!!

Comment

Going to attempt to fix my VIZIO 70 inch today using this..
              My screen is black but when powered on you can see the backlight light up the display but just a black picture.
              Am I going to have to order a TCON board before I attempt this fix?

Comment

Most likely. Only way to tell is check output voltages on tcon or do the one ribbon from tcon unplugged at a time.

Comment

Hi, i'm trying to fix my 70 Visio. I was wondering if you still have any resistors left that you would be will to part with? Also, how is your TV doing...still working?

Comment

^transistors... I mean^

Comment

[QUOTE=TR Immortal;738257]Hi, i'm trying to fix my 70 Visio. I was wondering if you still have any resistors left that you would be will to part with? Also, how is your TV doing...still

QF which is a RTR020N05 2a 45v n channel SOT-23 style mosfet

Here it is on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/20PCS-RTR020N.../dp/B01DI84YQ6

Use this one for the replacement then follow this thread for the procedure.
                      Last edited by freakaftr8; 04-04-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vince with a jeep View Post
                        Going to attempt to fix my VIZIO 70 inch today using this..
                        My screen is black but when powered on you can see the backlight light up the display but just a black picture.
                        Am I going to have to order a TCON board before I attempt this fix?
                        Probably. Is it the Vizio e701-a3? This is the only model that seems to blow the t con when the panel shorts that use a Sharp LCD panel. All the other models I run into seem to shut down or stay running with a really bad picture. Read post above for replacement transistor on tcon if you want to give it a go yourself.

From what I know everybody's TV still seems to be working that's done this repair. My original tester tv where I performed this first is still working. I did this on a Sony 70-inch also along with 20 other tvs by now. I had the Sony fail a year after performing this. The other side burned out. But as I know this is the only TV that anyone's had a problem with
                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 04-04-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Thank you, i will follow up if i run in to any problems.

Comment

Ok, so i bought new transistors for three, bad t-con boards that i had. I connected them as per the instructions on this form, but still, nothing but the back light comes on. On each board i get the same voltages: 15.60v on the capacitor in the bottom right, 1.20v on 4R7, 13.30v on 100, and 3.30v on 3R3... yet I cant get any kind of picture to show up.

Any Advice?

Comment

Well it sounds like you're t-con boards are putting out the proper voltages. You are doing one ribbon cable at a time correct? Also when you're connecting only one ribbon cable to time look for a flight flash of a picture before it blanks out period also monitor the voltages with each ribbon cable plugged in unfortunately this is less desirable because you can't leave it on for too long or you will blow out your new rebuilt t-con board.

Also keep in mind that are you sure there was something wrong with the t-con board to begin with? As if you had voltages to begin with I would be more susceptible to thinking there was a main board problem since there's no picture at all and your panel might be in fact okay
                              Last edited by freakaftr8; 04-11-2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                Well it sounds like you're t-con boards are putting out the proper voltages. You are doing one ribbon cable at a time correct? Also when you're connecting only one ribbon cable to time look for a flight flash of a picture before it blanks out period also monitor the voltages with each ribbon cable plugged in unfortunately this is less desirable because you can't leave it on for too long or you will blow out your new rebuilt t-con board.

Also keep in mind that are you sure there was something wrong with the t-con board to begin with? As if you had voltages to begin with I would be more susceptible to thinking there was a main board problem since there's no picture at all and your panel might be in fact okay
                                Yes i did the ribbon thing and still didn't get a picture, i'll be sure to check the voltages while the ribbon is connected. Should i be looking for the same voltages?

I originally bought this tv for $60 and the guy who had it before said that he replaced the t-con board once, and it shorted out again after a few seconds. Once i bought the tv, i just replaced the transistor on the t-con boards that he shorted out, but still haven't had any luck.

Comment

Yes you should see the same voltages with the t-con connected to the panel. That is if the panel is not taking down the t-con. However there is always the slight possibility that you could have problems with the mainboard causing a no picture condition however voltages are present. And then there's always a slight possibility that both side drivers on the left and right could be bad. Do you have some kind of image being projected to the TV not just the black screen with a no signal? It would be easier to plug in an HDMI and use the input button to cycle to that port and listen for sound before you go any further then you can disconnect both bottom corner tabs plug in each side individually to the t-con and see if you get some image at all.

Comment

I just read this whole thread and decided to remove the tabs/strips from the right side of a e70 tv I got at the Dump... (after replacing the tcon with a new one for $18 on ebay... I did not have the lighter strips but rather just an image that faded dark toward the right.. removing the strips corrected it though and the tv is working very well now... removing the scratched put in the screen when it was tossed with an eraser and they appear to be coming out nicely too.

Thank you!

Comment

I do want to add I see the same bad macroblocking and poor sharpness that was mentioned by another member here.... I have a cheap 65" seiki tv I also got from the dump and fixed and the same kodi box looks way better on that tv than the vizio... I dont know if theres something wrong with it or its just got a low bit processing setup.. I had a projector years ago that behaves this way.

Comment

Originally posted by splatee View Post
                                        Tried different HDMI ports and also component and still same issue. Almost like the shadow have a greenish sort of tinge and a lot of noise to them.
                                        I see the same issues on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by augiedoggy View Post
                                          ..... removing the scratched put in the screen when it was tossed with an eraser and they appear to be coming out nicely too.
                                          Out of curiosity how are you removing the scratches. I've tried lots of methods but they were not successful.
                                          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Working...
                                          X