e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

I thought I may need bifocals soon. Now I know I do!!! I got the new mosfet for the T-con and was working on it tonight. Now that I'm cross eyed I will take it to the shop at work tomorrow and use the big magnifiers to finish loading lol!!

Comment

Freakaftr8, good pics on the burnt IC driver. Helped speed up troubleshooting greatly. I picked this tv up for $100 last week and will have $101 in it when done. Thanks for the great work and pointers! Thanks again everyone!!

Comment

Let us know how it works out
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Thanks to freak, budwich et al I have a functioning 70le650u for $100 ! Since this is mostly a hobby for me any money I do make generally goes into buying more tools and more junk to repair but this one I'm keeping. My wife has decided she wants it in the bedroom. Who am I to argue ? Cheers!

Comment

Oh and two more things, maybe three...

My failed driver was the lowest driver on the right side facing the back of the tv.

Now is there a concensus on what actually stresses these driver ic's ? Is it refresh rate or some types of picture content or something else ? Would only make sense to try not to push things too far already missing half the drivers. I've dialed back the refresh rate to 60hz because like Paul I'm not interested in movies looking like soap operas.

Thirdly there were some preferred setting mentioned somewhere in this thread. Can someone point me to the post or reiterate ?

Comment

Up and running!! Looks great. Mine was burnt out on the right side as well.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mosfets have been in for days now from Digi-key. I finally opened the box and man was I surprised. Maybe should have looked when I got them. I finally have a couple days off to work on TV. They are so small idk if I can do this. Will get tcon out of tv tonight. Hoping I got right ones.
                Attached Files

Comment

euroryde Did u get it fixed? If so what was the problem?
                  Last edited by MEM1971; 01-08-2016, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Part was too small for me to do so had my coisin do it for me. Only difference is with right tab unplugged when powering up that half of screen comes on for brief sec then back to just backlights. his solder job looks great but after inspecting the old mosfet it looks like a piece of the board came off with it on both two prongs side of mosfet with single side clean. powered set up several times trying different things and this is only difference. no menu or actual image and what bothers me most is faint vertical lines just before going back to just back lights. Probably need tcon board now.
                    Last edited by MEM1971; 01-09-2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Hello there everyone, so I got my paws on a Vizio E701i-A3 that is showing the same symptoms as every one else. As it stands the back cover is off and the lower right tab is disconnected and I now have a brandy new tcon board that needs to be installed. freakaftr8 I do have a question for you, in your video you were stating disconnecting the white cables on the tcon board to find out which side is the problem child. Once you figure that out then you disconnect the lower small cable. Am I understanding that correctly? Just wondering if I missed that step, I just disconnected the lower left small tab.
                      Last edited by bleed4me; 01-10-2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys, I got a e601i-a3 with the same symptoms for free. I will check the T-con voltage readings as soon as I get the back off. I read through all of the posts and realize that it is a different beast since it doesn't have the side drivers. Has anyone been able to fix this set too and/or any pointers?

Much appreciated

Comment

If you take a picture of the TV with the frame off (so all the drivers are visible), we might be able to tell you. But if it has no side drivers it probably can't be fixed.
                          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Unfortunately the 60 inch version does not use side drivers like the 70 inch. However I am learning different methods to alleviate some of these symptoms even on the different model panels that do not use side drivers just like a 40 inch Samsung model UN40d5500 that I repaired this morning. It had the typical symptoms of flickering horizontal lines across the first top half of the screen caused by a short inside the panel. Removing the right hand t-con cable shows the left hand side of the screen working absolutely perfect. Connecting the right hand caused the lines to span horizontally across the screen essentially loading down the left side causing the problem spanning all the way across. The fix apply a small piece of scotch tape across a couple pins on the right hand cable driver going to the t-con to the panel. Problem solved. I have a feeling this is going to fix a lot of symptoms caused by horizontal lines across the screen on LCD TVs now!

Comment

Glad to see this site up and running again, but is anyone else having issues uploading attachments?

Comment

Originally posted by bleed4me View Post
                                Glad to see this site up and running again, but is anyone else having issues uploading attachments?
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51582

Comment

Thank you vinceroger69, I would have never found that so it is much appreciated.

Comment

Hey freakaftr8 after what I described to you do you think its safe to go ahead to the 2nd phase or do you think we should wait till we can upload pictures so you can see what is going on? The fact that i have no horizontal line like the rest eats at me and I only get one shot at this.

Comment

Oh look at that I can post pictures...fantastic. So these are the results so far. A new t-con board has been installed and the bottom two ribbon cables are connected to it. ( looking at the tv from the front ) I have removed the lower right hand small ribbon cable. Now for the pictures
                                      1. Is the faint bottom portion of the "v" in the middle of the screen upon turning on the tv
                                      2. No Signal in the middle of the screen.
                                      3. Input on the upper right portion of the screen
                                      4. Input selection in the middle of the screen
                                      5. Menu selection of the left side of screen
                                      6. Is what the screen looks like with a chomecast connected.

Not a single horizontal line to be found, Should I be concerned about this?
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by bleed4me; 01-22-2016, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I don't know man that's a real crap shoot. It almost looks as if there's nothing really wrong with the drivers the right side of course will be black because the right side is not being driven by the bottom cable. If I were you I would temporarily connect the right side power it up give it a couple seconds and immediately unplug it if nothing shows up on the screen. There is always a slight possibility that you just had a bad tcon board.

Comment

To be quite honest with you I think it's just poor manufacturing. I don't know what causes these drivers to go but mine the both I have are still operating after I repaired it quite some time ago. The drivers on the left side don't seem to be getting any hotter than normal. I might even add that they stay cold. Someone else had mentioned that without Besides driving the panel it will have a refresh rate problem. I haven't seen anything yet I even played some heavy duty call of duty with very fast motion on it and it had no problem with lagging or blurring.

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                                          Oh and two more things, maybe three...

My failed driver was the lowest driver on the right side facing the back of the tv.

Now is there a concensus on what actually stresses these driver ic's ? Is it refresh rate or some types of picture content or something else ? Would only make sense to try not to push things too far already missing half the drivers. I've dialed back the refresh rate to 60hz because like Paul I'm not interested in movies looking like soap operas.

Thirdly there were some preferred setting mentioned somewhere in this thread. Can someone point me to the post or reiterate ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X