e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Thanks for the great post have read it several times now, but I do have a question in hopes I can figure this out. So after purchasing a new TCON board with both bottom ribbon cables disconnected on the sides I'm just getting vertical lines that do move with menu button and I'm guessing the V logo when starting up but no actual picture. I did connect the bottom right cable and had to replace the coxa chip so before I do anything again this is the point I'm at.

First photo is when turning on (logo I believe)
    Second when hitting menu/input.
    Attached Files

Comment

So you have both Tcon ribbons plugged in but the bottom right ribbon cable going to the side boards is connected in the left is disconnected?
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by euroryde View Post
        Thanks for the great post have read it several times now, but I do have a question in hopes I can figure this out. So after purchasing a new TCON board with both bottom ribbon cables disconnected on the sides I'm just getting vertical lines that do move with menu button and I'm guessing the V logo when starting up but no actual picture. I did connect the bottom right cable and had to replace the coxa chip so before I do anything again this is the point I'm at.

First photo is when turning on (logo I believe)
        Second when hitting menu/input.
        As freakaftr8 "asks". So you have all the tcon cables connected and then you tried to connect the lower right corner cable... it resulted in the blown "chip". So now once replaced, leave the right corner disconnected but connected the left corner cable, what happens now? To recap, all tcon cables connected, only the left corner (of the panel) interconnect cable connected, right corner interconnect cable disconnected. Things should be OK... no chip blowing and a picture / menu (if selected) should appear.

Comment

Yes all tcon cables are plugged in and at this moment neither one of the corners are plugged in, so when I get home today I will now try connecting the left one only and see what happens. Just wasn't sure if with both sides disconnected I should be seeing the lines instead of a faint picture.

Comment

That's why. You need at least one plugged in on the side. Looks like you can connect the left side safely. Leave right disconnected.

Comment

Ok sounds good, thanks. will update.

Comment

You will see lines with left and right disconnected as there is no row select signal, so all pixels in any column get set "ON" if that pixel is supposed to be lit at any row/column combo...this is similar to a plasma TV with a Y-buffer fault.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

So I picked up the 70" Sony this evening. The screen has lines and ghosting on the left side. With the left side (from the front) ribbon at the bottom corner disconnected and the right one connected, there are still lines and ghosting on the left side. With the left connected and the right disconnected, there is no picture at all. I also found a burnt IC on the lowest left ribbon. Should I remove the left (from the front) side?

Comment

I went ahead and removed the side with the burnt IC. I figured if it wasn't that side, I had no hopes of saving it anyway.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ok so update, picture one is with just the left side connected. (did have a little scare when I tried it and nothing showed but realized the ribbon cable wasn't seated right. )

So after removing the right side boards and drivers I now have a working TV again..

Last two pics of working TV.

Thanks again for the help.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks good you guys! Interesting seems to be 75% of everybody has right and failures and the other 25 has left hand. None the less your TVs look great congrats! A couple more saved from the landfill
                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-09-2015, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I might have spoken to soon after watching a couple videos on the tv then it developed lines down the screen all the way across and now does not go away. :/
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by euroryde View Post
                            I might have spoken to soon after watching a couple videos on the tv then it developed lines down the screen all the way across and now does not go away. :/
                            Check the LVDS cables from the main board to the T-con are seated right. Also, check the ribbons from the T-con to the panel, especially for tears or damage when they have been manipulated. These cables can be replaced, but it is often a pain to find replacements.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yeah that looks like a LVDS connection issue to me also definitely not a panel problem

Comment

comes back to a 45v 2a n-channel sot-23 made by ROHM, I ordered 20 that just shipped from TX under $13 and $4 shipping- should have them Thursda.… Can You provide the site info so I can order some?

Comment

Hey Freakaftr8...
                                  lots of "business" on the e70 visio sets, eh!
                                  Just to show you how "popular" (actually unpopular they might be), "tomsguide.com" has over 10 THOUSAND views on the "same troubled sets".... :-( Of course, not all have the same issue but with that many "interested parties", there has got to be a "whole lotta tabbing going on"... :-) :-(

Comment

You ain't kidding! This seems to be a Sharp 70 inch panel epidemic sadly. But at least there's hope for these. Especially in today's disposable society...

Comment

Hi Freak and bud I did get them the info to remove the remaining flex tabs but they had been away and are just getting back to the TV. I told them they need to be peeled forward. Because they removed the boards from the tabs and put everything back together, from what they said, the tabs ended up getting pressed between the black plastic and the panel so they tried cutting them away which I would not have done but they did. Now they have half of a screen on the left. Now since there are only tiny parts of the flex tabs still tensing, would this be obviously why there is half a screen and wouldscraping the remaining pieces of the tabs with a razor be ok to get the job done? Hopefully you can you can understand what they told me and I explained it right. As always thanks for your help
                                      Attached Files

Comment

:-((((((
                                        looks like maybe a tcon cable not connected... ???? otherwise something didn't go right. I hope they are ONLY dealing with the side tabs and NOT any on the bottom. I don't get a good feeling here.

Comment

I would probably look into trying to fully remove those tabs if its not A tcon cable that's not seated properly. .But judging on the picture that is working on the one side it looks pretty good I would say that a tcon cable is not seated correctly

Comment

Working...
                                          X