Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Originally posted by MEM1971 View Post
    So on the Vizio 701i-a3e can it be the left side or right side? If I inplug both sides and have some kind of pic I know my transistor and/or tcon is good? Have the Vizios you fixed both been on right side? Im sure I will have to order a transistor. So if tcon is good and have some kind of pic after unplugging both sides and I can not tell which side is the bad side by looking at it, then with the 701i-a3e vizio , I have a 50/50 shot at blowing the transistor. If the vizios u done or know of have been on right side then should that be the first side to check if I cant visually see anything? And by all means do not cut either side off until I know for sure and/or double check here???? Almost at end of my 12 hour shift but will be back here tonight. Thanks to all of you that have figured this out! I think its awesome yall found a fix!

Yes I fix three of these down to on the right side one on the left side it just is a matter of which side went out first. There are ways of telling at the transistor is good on the tcon or not but that involves probing all the coils on the right side of the board for the different output voltages. If all you're getting is 12 volts in the board and nothing coming out then you know you have a shorted transistor. You can either probe the round coils on the board or you can check the bottom pins of the voltage regulator located on the bottom right side of the board where the output cables go to the panel.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
      great work.... funny in my search of failures, you don't see much mention of the sony (ie. large size) versus others... some but not as many... most have had better quality controls as they left the sharp factory... :-)

PS. I take it back... sony appears to have just as many issues BUT their "complaint" seem to be "shielded" a bit by the fact that sony has their own "community" site where there are lots of complaints but mostly get the "not in warranty response" which leaves those people with "curb side tvs"... :-( if they only knew that they may be able to get some "life" out of their sets. Of course, I suspect a "sony community" site is probably not going to receive a "save advice" readily.
      I totally agree. I'm not sure if it's a quality control issue or not but I'm pretty certain that the panel that you fixed Budwich is the exact same panel installed in this Sony. they're both 3d.

Actually I take that back yours was a Quattron four color panel and the Sony even though the panel is 3d its still using the standard three color gamut. As far as quality control I think all sharp panels are pretty much built the same way.

Comment

Has anyone ran into the drivers on the bottom being bad? Just curious if that was a possibility?

Comment

all you have to do is read back a few posts and you will get your answer... tab driver failure can happen anywhere a tab driver exists.

Comment

all you have to do is read back a few posts and you will get your answer... tab driver failure can happen anywhere a tab driver exists.
            +1

On the Vizio I'm sure it will exhibit the same failure of the T CON if a vertical driver failed. However disconnecting side driver boards will not fix this defect. It will most likely blow another board and it will leave you wondering why its doing it

Comment

I had this same TV, backlights but no picture. Replaced T-Con, lasted for 2 days then went out again. Suspected panel was bad.

Comment

Freak... If I do determine the bad drivers to be the ones on the bottom of the panel "the vertical drivers" can I still fix the TV by removing the defective driver like on the side drivers? It doesn't make since to me that it would work for the vertical drivers since there are none on the top of the TV to pick up the slack like the side drivers do.

Comment

That is correct. There is no repair for a vertical driver failure . There are only one set of vertical drivers on this panel and removing any of those drivers will render the panel useless. This goes for all LCD panels. No matter the make or manufacturer.

Like I said I had one of these panels come in to me via Sony version of the TV and it did have a vertical driver failure. The IC was burned so bad that it almost fell through the ribbon so in turn yes it can happen and is possible.

Comment

Vizio 701i-A3E/ Are the vertical drivers on the panel the ones that usually go bad? Thus requiring the vertical side boards having to be pulled off along with the film like strips away from the panel. Forgive me but all the words like bottom, side, etc getting a little confusing. Im going to order the transistor today once I confirm for sure my tcon is out. Do I have to have the upgraded one talked about in this thread?

Comment

No the vertical drivers are the ones located on the bottom of the panel across the bottom.

The side drivers are the ones that are notoriously failing those are located on the left side in the right side sides of the panel.

Comment

I have a local guy wanting me to buy the Sony KDL70R550A for $75. He says it shows a picture but it looks like the set in the video linked below. What do you guys think?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ksSo8CmjzY

Comment

Odds are very high that it is a side tab failure.... probably "saveable" using the "detach tabs technique" used here.

Hey Freakaftr8... told you, this open the door to a whole bunch of "hounds" looking to get a big tv cheap... :-)

Johnboy1313... you should probably respond on your youtube post to direct people to badcaps.net to help the many people that are looking for some "savior"... :-)
                          Last edited by budwich; 12-03-2015, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Hey Freakaftr8... told you, this open the door to a whole bunch of "hounds" looking to get a big tv cheap
                            Not a hound at all. I don't have the room for a TV this size and would never sell it for fear of it failing shortly after. I've been texting with the guy all evening trying to talk him into letting me try to "fix" it for him.

Comment

That's an odd symptom. Most likely a side left hand driver failure. However it presents itself live a vertical driver failure as well. It's worth a gamble for 75 dollars anyway.

Comment

If I do get it and determine that removing the side driver will provide a full picture, I'll likely just part it out anyway. Like I said, I don't have the room (or even the desire) to own a tv this big and it's not sellable as a working TV

Comment

I didn't mean "hounds" in a bad way... more like good... "scent hounds looking for things" The idea is to either save the set for the owner OR the dump... either is good.

Comment

I didn't mean "hounds" in a bad way... more like good... "scent hounds looking for things" The idea is to either save the set for the owner OR the dump... either is good.
                                    Right on

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                      I'm just going to go ahead and get this going with a new thread.

As you all know the Vizio model referenced above as a major failure point. There are other members on this forum including myself they have had failures of the Vizio 70 inch model. It represents itself with it was working fine and then the picture went out but the back light stays on. On at least two occasions including myself replacing the t-con board which is the affected problem just blows the board again. There are repair kits for this t-con which includes a DC converter also EEPROM and a few small SMD transistors. First of all it seems the only transistor that gets taken out is the coxa that is directly connected to the small square SMD style IC to the right of the board. This IC is known as the gamma processor.

To my finding the reason that it keeps blowing this one transistor which is usually the only problem on the tcon board is because of a failed horizontal driver tab on the right side of the LCD panel. It appears that usually only one of these tab drivers fail. With this particular set up the main board does not have the ability to shut down the TV in protection mode like some other manufacturers do. The tcon board and the panel are both made by sharp. The problem lies within the driver IC built into the tab on the panel.

If you have this problem and you order a new t-con board, do not and I repeat do not power up the TV with the new board before you try this first. On the right side of the screen, if you're looking at the back side of the TV then look at the bottom left, you will find a small white ribbon cable that connects the side boards of the panel to the bottom boards of the panel. You want to disconnect the white ribbon cable connecting to the right side board you should see the ribbon cable connector on the bottom of the screen on the side. Just disconnect that small white cable. Now you should be safe to power on the TV with the new board. If what has happened to your TV is correct, you will see the screen presented itself with a nice solid bright picture on the left hand side on the right hand side it will be dark, and possibly a little blurry. However you will see as small section spanning horizontally that looks completely normal. And what I mean by normal is that it's just as bright on the right hand side in this small section as it is on the left. Wherever this lies on the screen is in the same area where you have the failed driver.

Now then I don't endorse this as a permanent fix but if you have given up all odds and you're about to throw this TV out in the trash because you cannot make it work anymore many have tried everything, what I did to Repair mine was carefully peel on the right hand side driver tabs directly clean off the panel. Remember this is only done on the side that is causing the failure. A few have had success with this and some have not. I however had excellent success with it so far.

The reason that the t-con board is shorting out is because this is causing a direct overload to an already subpar t-con board.

This was just my fix and remember if you do manage to pull the tab drivers off the panel this is a permanent thing that cannot be reversed.

I will add pictures in a little bit
                                      Hi I have same issue with this 70 inch tv. went ahead and ordered Tcon board replaced it disconnected right side white tab and turned it on. here are the pictures......One thing before I did all this had no picture but did have sound I don't know if its because I had nothing but internet but I had no sound?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi freak- sorry it too, so long to get these up, I was on a job with a deadline… anyway the description of the problem is the righthand side having ahadowing on different t-con boards- she said they tried the 2 I sent her and the green one they recieved from encompass that was very warped. I had them clean all connections but still has the apparent shadow. Any ideas? Thanks again!
                                        Attached Files

Comment

It appears that they (?) did NOT remove the tab drivers from that side of the screen. You can still see the horizontal line from a bad tab cable. It appears that they just disconnected the corner edge board cable interconnecting the bottom edge boards to the side edge boards. They need to provide you with pictures of the removed edge boards to confirm what they have done... :-)

Comment

Working...
                                          X