Plasma TV issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma TV issue

Hi there, I'm a new user on this forum and I am happy to be here. My issue is that my Vizio p50hdtv10a plasma TV turns on then shuts down after about 4 seconds. I disconnected the X sustain with the Y sustain plugged in but the TV still shut down, but when I turned it back on using the power button it stayed on. Then, I reconnected the X sustain and it shut down the first time, and the second time with the power button. While the TV was on with the X sustain disconnected, I tested the Vs and Va on the power supply using my multimeter and it was good. The standby volts is fine as well. So I'm assuming it's the X sustain board that's the problem. Do you think its the X sustain board or the Y sustain board, and how do you test those boards for shorts? I also checked the fuses and found that one was bad on the Y sustain board, even though the TV still turned on with the X sustain disconnected. I don't see any bulged capacitors on the boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the X sustain directly connects to the Y sustain to get its power and not the power supply. I posted a picture of the TV below.

Attached Files

Re: Plasma TV issue

1st. Check resistance of the power pin to gnd. Then look for burnt or damaged parts. Evidence of hot parts, fractured solder joints on mosfets that are attached to heat sinks. Shorted capacitor or diode. These are good starting points

Comment

If I remember the lower fuse supplies voltage to the ysus and the upper fuse supplies the zsus (xsus) via the wires that connect the two boards. if the upper fuse was open, I suspect the zsus board being shorted, usually the large ic under the heat sink.

Comment

It's the lower fuse that is blown, the upper one is fine.

Comment

If the lower fuse is blown I suspect one of the ysus ic's is shorted. they should be able to be checked in circuit if they are shorted, there are 2 ic's, some of their pins should be marked ground, so check between ground and the other pins and compare betwen the 2 ic's. I cant remember what the pinouts are on these.

Comment

So the x-sustain is fine right? Can the board be disconnected when testing it, and do I use continuity on my multimeter?

Comment

I will guess that it is ok, and yes use continuity on the meter, if the fuse blew, something blew it, usually one of the large ic's under the heat sinks is shorted, since this ysus uses 2 ic's it might only be one that is shorted, but like I said I cant remember how to check them, this is an LG panel that is used in this tv.
              the ic looks like this
              Attached Files

Comment

I also heard that if you replace the y-sustain board then you have to replace the buffer boards as well. Is this true? I appreciate everyone's help on this thread.

Comment

How do you test the IPM modules for shorts, and do the buffer boards have to be replaced as well?

Comment

Working...
                  X