Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Not Power Off - SCAN loop (quick fix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Not Power Off - SCAN loop (quick fix)

39" E-motion LCD TV
    Model: 39/66G-GB-3B.FTCU-UK.

This had the fault of getting stuck on the "Do not power off" "SCAN" loop each time the tv was turned on.

I was all set for replacing a corrupt eeprom after reading various posts here and via google. So i had the tv apart to write down the board numbers and to give it a good visual check over.

Everything looked fine. Anyway while i had it apart i thought i would give the eeproms and the SMD components around them a minute or two blast with my heat gun.

I remembered that years ago this fixed an eeprom issue on a cable tv STB. ( stuck on TUNE )

Its been two days now and the tv starts up every time as it should. Everything else with the tv works as it should also.

So, worth a try for a quick fix before you order a new eeprom.

Attached Files

Re: Do Not Power Off - SCAN loop (quick fix)

Won't be permanent. Flash memory is affected by heat, what's going on here is they use cheap flash memory with poor data retention. It will just die in a few weeks.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It's my old man's tv so i will definitely report back if/when the error returns Tom.

I have a question, if the eeprom is corrupt and that is why they get stuck in a SCAN loop and we need to buy a pre-programmed chip, then how did this eeprom work again ?

Comment

It's not an eeprom, it's an SPI serial flash which although also a memory device operates differently. It stores the software for the TV's operation. When it gets corrupted the TV software misbehaves. Heating it up is hiding the corruption, which might only be on a few single bits.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

While its still functional--Is it not possible (Somehow!) to maybe remove that SDI, Read its contents and then flash a quality replacement with the code?
          TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
          http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
          PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

It might be possible, but the OP would need an SPI flash programmer.

Comment

An interesting development.

If you so much as nudge the tv, the Input Source menu will appear and the tv will scroll up and down the Source list in a random fashion until it sees fit to select one.

Same thing if you touch the HDMI lead or plug anything else into it like headphones or scart.

About the SPI flash programmer. I have a few old (very) programmers somewhere.
              I have found this LPT thing, iam sure i used this to read and write eeproms a million years ago
              Attached Files

Comment

That would be the random uses of the heat gun on the main board coming back to haunt you spooky! Flocko

Comment

Just having another look at this today.

I think this might have something to do with the spooky goings on with the source menu.

The wires from the Buttons PCB. It was laying across a screw hole when i opened it up.

My fault i think
                  Attached Files

Comment

Had it been worked on prior to the initial problem?

Comment

Ok...... it was my fault

The quick fix is still fixed though

Comment

Bit of a old thread,But can confirm the above trick works.Have done a few of these with the slanted scanning issue,and no sets have bounced.
                        Interesting fix for sure!

Comment

Myself came across 22" logik tv with do not power off - scan from plugin, it was hit or miss to skip this check.
                          i resolved the issue by applying 470uf 16v cap across the eeprom Vcc and Vss, up to now
                          it hasn't scanned, i'm not saying this is a final fix but seems to work for now.
                          I have no doubt the eeprom is corrupted and cap is acting as a filter.

Regards
                          4cc3ss

Comment

Had this problem with a 40" Technica LCD TV.. Continuos scan loop, could not enter menu,. nothing but nothing worked for me. Had to buy a second hand main board for TECHNIKA LCD40-270 40" LCD TV (T.MSD306.8B-2 11164)..
                            Got this on ebay for under £15.. A cheap fix.. working perfectly..
                            Regards, liam

Comment

Any more ideas guys?

Comment

Originally posted by 4cc3ss View Post
                                i resolved the issue by applying 470uf 16v cap across the eeprom Vcc and Vss, up to now
                                Hi have you got a picture ? Cant find datasheet to find out what legs are Vcc and Vss ? Its a 32 inch Logik i have with same issue.

Comment

Here you go:

It's a standard pinout for all SPI EEPROM chips. Vss = ground, pin 4, VCC, usually 3.3v but there are some 1.8v ones, is pin 8.
                                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

So 470uf 16v cap across Vss to Gnd ? Im guessing negative leg goes to ground ?

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                      Here you go:

It's a standard pinout for all SPI EEPROM chips. Vss = ground, pin 4, VCC, usually 3.3v but there are some 1.8v ones, is pin 8.
                                      So 470uf 16v cap across Vss to Gnd ? Im guessing negative leg goes to ground ?

Comment

Vcc to GND. And yes negative of cap goes to ground, because VCC is a positive voltage.
                                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                                        X