Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PN59D6500 shuts off in 5-15 minutes; HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PN59D6500 shuts off in 5-15 minutes; HELP!

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
    I agree, most likely a main board fault. Maybe a good idea to try this test:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjrwTZC5nVg
    Tom66, thanks for chiming in and thank you to everyone else for the tips, too.

So yes, I am following the video you posted and I get to the logic board test pattern instructions (because all the voltages were okay as expected) and there is a problem with what they say in the video and what they SHOW visually. They say to jump the highest pins and they specifically say pins 3 and 4, but then they show in the video putting the jumper on the upper two pins which are pins 1 and 3. Confused and not knowing which to do, I checked the link to the Fast Track troubleshooting page and it shows in the picture the jumper on pins 3 and 4, if I'm not mistaken. Here's the link to that again:

[SM].pdf&mfg=Samsung

So, I figure the video just accidentally showed the wrong thing and I followed the picture from Fast Track and put the jumper between pins 3 and 4 which would be the left-side pins (up and down) and I tried the TV; it doesn't do anything, it doesn't power on automatically as it should, it's just dead.

So, before I try it the other way, I wanted to get the feedback from you guys here and ask which way should I jump it?

My ultimate goal, of course, was to run the set in a test pattern (running it without the Main Board) and see if it no longer shuts off in 3 minutes which would tell me that the Main Board is the cause.

Comment

You need to do a few more things:
      - Place a jumper across PS ON and GND on the cable that goes between the power board and main board (disconnect it from the main board side)
      - Disconnect the LVDS cable, between the main board and control board.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

You need to do a few more things:
        - Place a jumper across PS ON and GND on the cable that goes between the power board and main board (disconnect it from the main board side)
        - Disconnect the LVDS cable, between the main board and control board.
        Oh yes, I know, I already had done that. I wouldn't skip that step. So what do you think about the placement of the logic board jumper? Did you check the video and the Fast Track page? There's a conflict there.

Comment

Tom66? Anyone?

Comment

Pins 3 and 4, always, must be a video mistake. Really confused why you don't have patterns... care to share a picture of how it's set up?
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Pins 3 and 4, always, must be a video mistake. Really confused why you don't have patterns... care to share a picture of how it's set up?
              Thank you for getting back to me. So I went to take a picture of it, but first thought I would try it again, just to confirm the "dead" symptom. I double checked the jumper and took it off and put it back on again and when I plugged in the TV to check, it worked! Must have not been making a good connection at the jumper or something? Maybe my little "alligator clip" was a bit oxidized or something?

Anyway, it's going through the test patterns now. I will see if it lasts longer than the 3-15 minute mark. If it still shuts off, I will have to troubleshoot further, but if it doesn't shut off, I guess I have a bad Main Board. I will report back.

Comment

Okay, so the TV doesn't shut off now. I guess that must confirm the Main Board is bad?

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Yep.
                    Haha, yep! You've got the American vernacular down pat, Tom! Thanks for the help! Board is on the way.

Is that Fast Track Troubleshooting a site with such helpful info for many models? I just did an internet search, but I couldn't find an actual site. It could be useful in the future.

Comment

Roger. You got it. Yarrrrp. Yessir.

My site has a lot:
                      http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/

Just search under "Samsung" for "fast_track_guide"

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

I am presently working on that model. I ordered a T-conn because when I jumpered the two top connectors i didn't get the colors changing pattern.

Comment

I have this same issue with my tv.
                            So my SMPS is powering on without the main board. I also jumped the pins on the logic board and it is indeed powering on into the test patterns. I have had it running test patterns for 30 minutes and it has yet to shut off. Does this mean my main board is faulty? I have searched ebay and other sites and no boards are available. Only repair services. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Comment

if you have working test patterns without any issues, then your main is at fault.
                              WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

so i had my main board repaired. the tv stayed on for longer than before but it is now still restarting. i had my SMPS checked out and it is functioning properly. I even disconnected the wifi module and it still restarts. Any other ideas?

Comment

if you still get good test patterns, then i would still think that you still have an issue with your main board.

you can try using a hair dryer to heat the board up, to see if you can change the failure time frame.
                                  WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

Originally posted by Truncatedhose View Post
                                    Haha, yep! You've got the American vernacular down pat, Tom! Thanks for the help! Board is on the way.

Is that Fast Track Troubleshooting a site with such helpful info for many models? I just did an internet search, but I couldn't find an actual site. It could be useful in the future.
                                    Did swapping your main fix the problem for you? My 7 year old PN59D6500 started power cycling every 3 min 10 seconds this morning. It was fine last night. Full picture and sound on the tv, responds to remote, it just power cycles every 3 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmikey83 View Post
                                      so i had my main board repaired. the tv stayed on for longer than before but it is now still restarting. i had my SMPS checked out and it is functioning properly. I even disconnected the wifi module and it still restarts. Any other ideas?
                                      You ever get this repaired?

Comment

Originally posted by killerz298 View Post
                                        You ever get this repaired?
                                        I would recommend you follow this thread from the start and do the test pattern activation. If your test patterns stay active then the fault is with the main board.

From experience a lot of D-series Samsung TVs have problems with the main board. You can get the board repaired or replace it with the same part. You're unlikely to get a reply from the OP that has not been on here in over a year.

Comment

Just a thought , change all the caps next to the blue transformer on the Ysus board
                                          The early boards had 3 10 uf ceramic caps that failed and later boards replaced them with 1 electrolytic cap
                                          The failure of the early boards produced the issue you are seeing

Comment

Working...
                                          X