VIZIO : XVT3D650SV - orange vizio light, no picture, no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIZIO : XVT3D650SV - orange vizio light, no picture, no sound

With this said, "The techs here have worked on many different sets and some can easily put their finger on the common failures" I thought I would post some information here and see if you folks think this project is worth jumping into.

Last week the conference TV at work decided it would go on strike. Rumor has it the last thing heard from the TV was something about "union". I dunno.

About the TV
    Vizio XVT3D650SV and was purchased new June 2011 and was used for conferences at most 2 times a week in ~2 hour spurts. I doubt the TV hit 500 hours of use. The display inputs used were HDMI and VGA. I believe we also had Chromecast hooked into it as well.

What it does
    When plugged in the Vizio light turns amber/orange. When I press the power button (on TV or remote), nothing happens. No clicking sound, no power surge noise implying something is happening, no sound, nothing.

When I got the TV home last night I tried the "unplug TV, hold power button for 30 seconds" tip to no avail.

I will be adding pictures tonight of what I see others have requested and also posted.

My background
    I am not an electrician, but am very apt on disassembling/reassembling electronics. I have never done any voltage meter testing, but am intrigued on purchasing a meter and giving it a go. I have also soldered before, but I feel my previous experience will not matter as the circuitry on these appear (from other pics I've seen) to be quite precision based.

The lack of anything happening makes me hopeful that maybe it is just a fuse or something happening before power hits the board, but also makes me think that with nothing happening at all, no sound, no flicker, no nothing that it is something very costly.

Edit, coworker just let me borrow his RadioShack Digital Multimeter. The exact item can be viewed here.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shack-...item19e9422d7e
    Last edited by Zero2Cool; 03-12-2014, 08:38 AM. Reason: adding meter

Re: VIZIO : XVT3D650SV - orange vizio light, no picture, no sound

Unplug TV from wall outlet. Remove back cover. Look for any burnt electronics, use your nose to smell for burnt parts. Check fuse or fuses on the power supply. they should be less than a half ohm of resistance. Then check DC voltages. Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter). If your not using a Autoranging meter set it to 200 vdc. Place the black lead to chasis gnd then use the red lead to the connectors on the power supply board to measure output voltages. Hopefully everything is labeled. This is your starting point.

Comment

I have the TV on and after a little bit (30 seconds) or so, I can smell something burning. I haven't pinpointed it yet.

Here are some pictures I took.

http://noequalsol.com/TV/1.jpg
      http://noequalsol.com/TV/2.jpg
      http://noequalsol.com/TV/3.jpg
      http://noequalsol.com/TV/5.jpg
      http://noequalsol.com/TV/6.jpg
      http://noequalsol.com/TV/7.jpg
      http://noequalsol.com/TV/8.jpg

Edit, the burning smell I thought was coming from the Power Switch (pic 8), but I disconnected that and the smell was still there and it seems the source of the smell is above the speaker.

Edit, I can feel heat emitting from the board (or perhaps the source is behind the board?) in Pic 6.
      Last edited by Zero2Cool; 03-12-2014, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Normally the power switches control other circuits that switch on power. The power switches switch a low voltage that should not draw enough current to burn a switch.
        From the pic the switch is made up to the board and the ribbon cable wires are small and will not be handleing large amounts of power. Can you see any evidence of burning?
        can you get a close up pic of the spot? You might want to check for power that feed the switch that they are not shorted to gnd.

Comment

I thought the smell was coming from the power switch, so the little flat white line I disconnected that. The smell was still there but was coming from the speaker. So I plugged the flat white line back, but before doing so tried ensuring there was a solid connection.

I unscrewed the speaker mount/holder and turned plugged the TV back in.

The Vizio logo for the first time went from orange to white, but was alternating. I held the power button (JAG SWITCH) in for 5 seconds and the TV went off. I hit the power button on the remote and nothing happened. I hit the jag switch and the vizio logo was displayed onto the screen.

Sure enough, it's working now. The remote does not work. I had to use my Galaxy S4 WatchOn app to get that functionality.

BTW, after I reconnected that flat white line, I couldn't smell anything burning anymore.

I don't know what happened.

Comment

Ltank, no, I didn't find any evidence of burning. I looked around using a bright light closely inspecting the area and several other areas and everything looked fine. I didn't notice any pregnant capacitors either.

After getting the TV put back together, I plugged it in and the Vizio logo flashed orange and white 22 times, then went to orange for a few seconds and then white and the Vizio logo displayed on the screen.

After about 10 minutes, the TV just turned itself off. Keep in mind I'm using my phone app for my remote control so maybe something goofy happened there? I hit the power switch and a similar cycle of flashing orange/white vizio, then vizio light orange then seconds later TV comes. I want to say this happened two or three times.

VGA works great.

I can't get sound through Netflix.

I can't get my laptop to use HDMI with this TV, although this same laptop connects to my current 55" Vizio via HDMI with no issues.

I'm going to test the RCA audio output after work.

Hopefully I can figure out the HDMI issue and sound issue.

Edit, also when I do a auto channel scan, it pulls in over 60 analog channels, but zero digital channels. My other Vizio TV's get 11 digital channels.

Edit2, another thing in regards to HDMI. When I plug my Dell laptop into the HDMI port, anyone of the five, when I check the display settings on the laptop, XVT3D650SV is shown as a display option and says the resolution is 1920x1080. Not sure what that means.
            Last edited by Zero2Cool; 03-13-2014, 07:30 AM.

Comment

You apparently missed the "No Packers Propoganda" rule in the FAQ's. We'll let it slide this time. I've got a nephew that did a year at West Depere High School when he was a sophomore a couple years back. Can you imagine a proud Bears fan living in the shadows of Lambeau?

Seems like you have a main board issue. Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly what the problem might be. Did they let you have it or are you trying to fix it for them?

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy1313 View Post
                You apparently missed the "No Packers Propoganda" rule in the FAQ's. We'll let it slide this time. I've got a nephew that did a year at West Depere High School when he was a sophomore a couple years back. Can you imagine a proud Bears fan living in the shadows of Lambeau?

Seems like you have a main board issue. Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly what the problem might be. Did they let you have it or are you trying to fix it for them?
                lol sorry about that. I did remove the Packers avatar cuz I thought it was a bit much. Last "propaganda" piece I'll dispense is if you wanna talk football with smart folks who just love football, hit my site packershome.com :P

The TV was given to me because my name was drawn out of a pool of names. So it is mine free and clear. I actually wasn't expecting to make any positive progress so last night was a bit euphoric for me.

The no signal on every HDMI port, the no sound through Netflix and the tuner only finding dozens of analog channels has me thinking main board failure as well. The only port I know on the main board that I know is working is the VGA.

I believe these are the appropriate part and board numbers if I were to purchase a new one.

Part Number: 3665-0012-0150(4b)
                Board Number: 0171-2272-3544

Comment

Alright, tested the analog RCA audio outs using Netflix and there is volume, but I have to have my receiver at 75 for anything to be heard. I matched the audio settings on my 55" Vizio to ensure proper settings and used the same TV analog input on the receiver to ensure consistency.

The TV Speakers do not produce any noise at all.
                  The HDMI inputs all say "No Signal" regardless of what device XBOX, PS3 or Laptop (which all work on my other TV)
                  The Tuner only pulls in analog channels, and a LOT of them. To which my other TV pulls in 11 digital and 1 analog.

is there vast confidence that the main board is the problem? If so I have no problems picking one up and installing one. I just don't want to drop the $150 if it is likely a different problem here lol

Comment

check ALL the voltage regulators on the main board,vizio's are plagued with them,https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...999#post300999
                    Last edited by multimeter; 03-13-2014, 05:20 PM.
                    fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
                    please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Zero2Cool View Post
                      lol sorry about that. I did remove the Packers avatar cuz I thought it was a bit much. Last "propaganda" piece I'll dispense is if you wanna talk football with smart folks who just love football, hit my site packershome.com :P
                      I was just having fun with you. After Cutler was re-signed, I decided I've got better things to do than waste my time on football.

Comment

This is the Power Supply I have, but with a far better picture than I am able to take.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/media/catal...20-top_1_1.jpg

I picked up a GE2524 Digital Multimeter. I just have to get an understanding of how and what to test and what to expect. I've never done anything like this before.

I'm still baffled on why VGA video and Netflix video works fine, but none of the HDMI's work, the audio doesn't work except through the RCA outs and the volume on the receiver has to be cranked near full blast for anything to be heard.

Edit, not sure how relevant this is, but when I plug the TV into the wall, the Vizio logo flashes amber and then white. It will flash for about 30-60 seconds, then stay amber. Then I press the jag switch power button and the TV turns on, but if not using VGA input or Netflix, no signal is all that is displayed. I can access the menu settings just fine. Also, once plugged in and it does the Vizio logo flashing routine, the jag switch powers it up just fine.
                        Last edited by Zero2Cool; 03-31-2014, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I did purchase a voltage meter, but the more I read about HOW to use it, the more I realize I will probably end up zapping myself because I do not know exactly what to test, or how.

The TV Speakers do not produce any noise at all.

The HDMI inputs all say "No Signal" regardless of what device XBOX, PS3 or Laptop (which all work on my other TV)

The Tuner only pulls in analog channels, and a LOT of them. My working TV pulls in 11 digital and 1 analog.

RCA Audio OUT produces low volume audio only when my stereo is cranked way up.

I am able to get a perfect picture via VGA input from my laptop so the display itself works great.

I have another Vizio TV that I have confirmed my HDMI cables, my HDMI devices and antenna's work so I know these issues are that of the TV.

From the information provided, what do you experts feel the source of the problem is? Main board? Power board?

Last edited by Zero2Cool; 06-03-2014, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Unplug the speakers at the main board. Check the pins for shorts to ground. Without having access to to your set I cant be sure if the negative lead for the speaker is tied to chasis ground. With that said, you may have one lead to ground but not both. I would expect to see several hundred ohms or higher to ground on the pin with the highest resistance. I suspect a short in the audio IC or transistors. Check the voltage from the PS to main board for the audio section, It should be close to what is labeled. If it pulled down low then that verifies the audio amp problem
                            Last edited by Ltank; 06-03-2014, 07:49 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Ltank View Post
                              Unplug the speakers at the main board. Check the pins for shorts to ground. Without having access to to your set I cant be sure if the negative lead for the speaker is tied to chasis ground. With that said, you may have one lead to ground but not both. I would expect to see several hundred ohms or higher to ground on the pin with the highest resistance. I suspect a short in the audio IC or transistors.
                              Surely this is an idiotic question, but would that prevent the HDMI inputs to not work and also the TV Tuner to fail to retrieve Digital channels?

I have disconnected every connection to the main board and power supply and each connection is solid and no prongs or anything was bent.

For what it's worth, this TV was used for less than fifty hours since it was purchased.

Comment

The HDMI circuits use either 5vdc or get regulated bown to 3.3vdc or less as needed for the particular circuits. Audio sections most of the time use 12 to 15 or possably 18vdc to the main board. Different sections of main board require different voltages

Comment

So, you're leaning towards a main board problem rather than the power supply board being the culprit?

Comment

I replaced the main board and the entire TV is working just fine now. Everything tested out well. The only issue is the 3D is not anything to brag about.

Comment

Glad to hear you fixed it, by the way, I have a 42" Vizio model starts with XVT3D and every time it is unplugged and plugged back in or the power goes off the Vizio logo light flashes many times from amber to white before stopping with amber then it is in normal standby, this is normal for these model Vizios.

Comment

Working...
                                      X