Vizio P50HDTV20A Single Vertical Red Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio P50HDTV20A Single Vertical Red Line

I have a new set that I'm working on with this single vertical red line that is always there. I had the idea that it was from the boards at the bottom of the set and possibly could be those flex cables just not making contact or the panel was bad. I had a panel around from a P50HDTV10A with those boards already in it so I moved all the other boards over to it but it didn't seem to work. I think those driver boards are different between the two sets. I ended up moving all the boards back to the original TV and though I would try a few more things and maybe ask for help.

Is it most likely that the driver board at the bottom is bad? (I think there might be a driver chip in the flex cable because that's where the heatsinks actually connect. It seems to me that the entire chip in that flex cable might be bad and not just a single vertical line. Any opinions??
    ROn

Re: Vizio P50HDTV20A Single Vertical Red Line

Bad plasma panel. The chip on ribbon will have failed which is bonded to the panel and is non replaceable. Sorry..
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I have 2 more panels but they are from a P50HDTV10A. They are the same panels but these driver boards seem to be laid out differently but have the same connections.

After quite a bit of work I realize the panels are NOT the same. I had the idea that the only difference between the 10A and the 20A were that the boards were updated and there was a firmware change. I guess I need to look to see if the resolution is different.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PlasmaRon; 02-25-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

If they're both LG you'd think there was a reasonable chance it'd work? data off SJ.

P50HDTV20A

Panel Sticker Number
        50X4
        PDP50X3####
        PDP50X3XXXX
        PDP50X4
        PDP50X40D36
        PDP50X40D46
        PDP50X4TA35
        PDP50X4TA45
        PDP50X4XXXX

Samsung panels
        S50HW-YB02
        S50HW-YD02
        S50HW-YD07

P50HDTV10A

Panel Sticker Number
        50X4
        PDP50X3
        PDP50X3####
        PDP50X34012
        PDP50X3R010
        PDP50X3T012
        PDP50X3XXXX
        PDP50X4
        PDP50X40501
        PDP50X40D36
        PDP50X4R000
        PDP50X4T000
        PDP50X4TA35
        PDP50X4TA45
        PDP50X4XXXX
        Last edited by tw2005; 02-26-2014, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I should have looked at the 2nd pic, yeah that's a mismatch. ones a 50X4, the other 50X4A, both would be same resolution though, unlucky.

Models with 50X4A

LG 50PC55-ZB.AECLLMP
          LG 50PC55-ZB.AECYLMP
          LG 50PC5D-UC
          LG 50PC5D-UL
          LG 50PC5DC-UC
          LG 50PM1M-UC
          LG 50PM4M-WA
          ZENITH 50PC3DB-UE
          ZENITH 50PC3DB-UL
          Last edited by tw2005; 02-26-2014, 02:58 AM.

Comment

The driver boards connection to the control board is the same between the two sets. Do you think it could possibly work? to use the guts of the Vizio 20A with the 10A panel and buffer boards?

Comment

If the LVDS cable and pin out is the same, probably. Make sure to swap over the control board too.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                If the LVDS cable and pin out is the same, probably. Make sure to swap over the control board too.

Do you mean to keep the control board to match the driver boards or the rest of the electronics? My plan was to change over everything from the 20A to the 10A Panel except to leave the 3 driver boards from the 10A attached.

So it's like this

Z, Y, Control, Main, power supply from the 20a
                Panel and L,C,R driver boards from the 10a.

Comment

You need to match the logic board (an LG part) to the panel electronics, or it might not work. The logic board's firmware is custom for the particular panel electronics and panel design; with wrong firmware it will likely not work, or have a poor image, or worse, it could damage the sustains or panel.

Comment

Not sure what the equivalent of the "Logic" board is on the Vizio. The "Ctrl" seems to provide all the timing for the PDP and the "Main board" is the one the processes the digital video inputs and formats them for display on the PDP though the "Ctrl" board.

I wound up with everything from the 20A on the 10A panel except the driver boards on the bottom (XR,XC,XL). Everything wired up fine but when I turned it on it was just a blank display. No sparks or funny colors on the screen. I ended up just parting it out at that point but was curious to see if the 20A "Main board" would work in a 10A set. I found that the Main to control cable has changed as well as the cable that goes to the buttons bank. Moving the cables across along with the 20A main board worked fine and I got the 20A main board working on the 10A electronics. This is great because there's some nice enhancements on the 20A over the 10A.
                    Last edited by PlasmaRon; 02-26-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Logic = Ctrl.

Comment

Ok.. that makes sense... I had another 10A that had a bad Y-sus board (and possibly buffer boards) so I put in the Ysus and Buffers from the 20A into that unit and it powers up with a menu but has red sparkles that tweaking setup on the Ysus just won't get rid of. Also, when I use the "wipe screen" feature, the sweep really is messed up with colors. I've still got to check the High voltages but this p/s and all the other boards had worked well in their respective machines before the switch over.

Comment

If you have sparklies, the panel has aged, and new firmware is required on the control board to fix this.
                          Capkid will flash firmware for $22.50 plus shipping to him: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29263

Comment

Tom, That's very interesting.
                            The panel didn't have any sparkling issues when it was built will the full set of 10A boards. It seems only since I put in the YSus and Buffer boards from the 20A in it that it's got the sparkling issues.
                            I am using these 20A part in it because the 20A set had a vertical line that rendered that panel useless and the 10A TV had a blown up Y_sus boards. ( I borrowed the Y_Sus and drivers from a working 10A set to verify that there were no sparkling issues).

So.. It would seem that there is some incompatibility between the Ctrl (Logic) board for a 10A and the Ysus/Buffer boards of a 20A set.

Do you think reprogramming the Ctrl (Logic) board would fix this???

Comment

That's something you'd have to ask Capkid; is there a substantial difference in part #s between the boards?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                That's something you'd have to ask Capkid; is there a substantial difference in part #s between the boards?
                                It's just that Ysus and Buffer boards are marked with the "A" suffix to indicate that they came from the 50X4A version of the panel verses 50X4.

I think I have a working set of 50X4 buffer boards that I could try with the 50X4A Y-Sus.
                                The orig 50X4 Y-sus was blown out when the caps went bad on the main power supply.

Comment

Working...
                                X