LG 42LD550 picture scrambled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 42LD550 picture scrambled

I bought this TV new about 3 years ago and it has worked great until about 3 weeks ago when all of the AV inputs stopped working. I get sound from anything hooked up through AV or composite but no picture. Anything hooked into HDMI still worked fine though.

Then tonight as we were watching TV after it had been on for about an hour, the picture went scrambled with horizontal and diagonal lines (see attached pictures). Still get sound, but the picture is messed up on everything, even the TV menus. I've unplugged the TV for over an hour and when I plugged it back in there was no change.

I've been looking at replacement mainboards and there are NONE available anywhere. (can't believe it).

Anyone have any suggestions for what I can look at?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ChiefDJ; 01-17-2014, 09:20 PM.

Re: LG 42LD550 picture scrambled

Wow that's an interesting one. Definitely mainboard related. Since the tcon is built into the mainboard it's harder to diagnose what on the board is bad but start with heating the board with a hair dryer to start. See if it gets better
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Had one like this before - similar model - turned out the TV had a 720p motherboard installed (or configured as such) in a TV with a 1080p panel. It could also be possible that the configuration EEPROM is corrupted.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Tom,

I read the thread you are talking about, but there is no way it has the wrong board in it. I bought it new and it has worked fine for over 3 years. The picture just went scrambled all the sudden as we were watching it.

If the EEPROM has become corrupted, what would I do about that?

Comment

scart out to another tv,picture the same?,if it is ,mainboard fail,im guessing the video chip is getting toasty,havent seen this kind of fault relating to t-con board before
          fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
          please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefDJ View Post
            Tom,

I read the thread you are talking about, but there is no way it has the wrong board in it. I bought it new and it has worked fine for over 3 years. The picture just went scrambled all the sudden as we were watching it.

If the EEPROM has become corrupted, what would I do about that?
            a new pre-programmed eeprom,or a blank with the correct firmware,i dont think this is eeprom related though

also,does it affect the menu screen?
            Last edited by multimeter; 01-18-2014, 08:27 AM.
            fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by multimeter View Post
              a new pre-programmed eeprom,or a blank with the correct firmware,i dont think this is eeprom related though

also,does it affect the menu screen?
              Yes it does. I can see the menu coming up because the colors and different lines change, but it is also scrambled.

Comment

Yes it does. I can see the menu coming up because the colors and different lines change, but it is also scrambled.
                and does pic change when scarted out to another tv?

Comment

and does pic change when scarted out to another tv?
                  I haven't tried this. How would I do it? Could I try connecting my laptop to the RGB port? Would this accomplish what you want to look at?

Comment

I haven't tried this. How would I do it? Could I try connecting my laptop to the RGB port? Would this accomplish what you want to look at?
                    keep the tv your fixing on,use a scart cable to connect to another tv,and select the right channel,if your mainboard is working the second tv will have a good picture-menus etc,if the picture is the showing the same fault on the other tv,your mainboard has failed

Comment

keep the tv your fixing on,use a scart cable to connect to another tv,and select the right channel,if your mainboard is working the second tv will have a good picture-menus etc,if the picture is the showing the same fault on the other tv,your mainboard has failed
                      I dont have a scart cable or another TV to connect it to. ANything else I can try?

Comment

I dont have a scart cable or another TV to connect it to. ANything else I can try?
                        you could try laptop,vga on tv?,rgb?

Comment

OP can I get an update on the solution? Running across the same issue and about to order a replacement main board. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X