Westinghouse LD 4655VX Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse LD 4655VX Power Supply

Hello Everyone. Im a newbie and an electrical neophyte so have mercy on me. I have a broken down 4655 that just stopped working. I have read some of these threads to get some ideas on what is wrong, but so far I Have not been able to pinpoint the problem.

1. I tested the FSP AC/DC Adapter with my multimeter and it comes back reading 19.4 volts so I *think* it is ok. Not sure if there is a way to test it for amperage or not or even how to load test it!
    2. I took off the back cover and unhooked the 2 ribbon cables for the LEDs and tried to power it on with the onboard switch AND the remote...no power no click no nothing! All the buttons appear to be pressed in as there is no click or movement when I try to press them.

IM probably doing something really dumb....Can you guys assist?

Thanks!
    “All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.”
    St. Francis of Assisi

Re: Westinghouse LD 4655VX Power Supply

You mean the buttons are jammed ? Try freeing them up or disconnecting that cable from the mainboard then try the remote - though that cable *may* feed the ir sensor as well.

Comment

The buttons are all pushed in on the edge of the TV case. I will try unhooking that and see what happens.
      St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

I have the same model tv.
        Unless there are different versions with the same model number, the buttons on the side respond to the proximity of your finger. In other words they are meant to be concave and when you put your finger in the recess the tv turns on or changes input, etc.
        They are not "pushed in".
        You need to measure the current drawn by the tv from the plug in power supply.
        On my set, when the supply is initially plugged into the tv my set draws about 250 ma - then it quickly settles down to about 60 ma. When you put your finger in the on button recess it goes to 250 ma and once the tv is on - with the ribbon cables connected to the leds on both banks - it draws about 2.8 amps.
        The readings were taken on a working tv while connected to my bench power supply.
        The power supply for this set is 19 volts and rated for 4.74 amps.

Mike

Comment

Hello again--Unplugged everything off the main board and plugged in PSP. Nothing.

Mike, How do you, "measure the current drawn by the tv from the plug in power supply". Ive never done that before.
          St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

you need to upload pictures of the main board. Then you will get help. You will also need a multi-meter.

Comment

I have attached a photo of the main board and PSP as reference. Thanks!
              Attached Files
              St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Originally posted by JustinSane View Post
                Hello again--Unplugged everything off the main board and plugged in PSP. Nothing.

Mike, How do you, "measure the current drawn by the tv from the plug in power supply". Ive never done that before.
                You need to put your multimeter on current measurement mode, preferably the 10-amp mode. (Some meters have a lower range, but it is usually too low for the amount of current we might see flowing here, 2.8 amps like mu2 said) The multimeter probes will go in series with one of the power wires from the power supply.
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hi Ben, I see you are from Trenton, NJ. How are things there? I used to go there a lot in the 90s and even got into some great fishing on the Delaware drifting right under the big Trenton bridge, but I changed jobs and dont go that way at all anymore!

Being a dummy with this, I dont know what you mean with one of the power wires from the power supply. From the PSP, there is a wire with what looks like 2 fusable links and then a connector that plugs into the main board. Could you explain it more simply for me?

Thanks
                  St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

I have the same TV and found that one of the LED ribbon cables looked like it was smashed, I have no idea how this can happen to a TV that just sits in one spot. Does anybody know if you can strip back the ribbon cable so it can be re-used? If not, can anybody point me to a website that sells these cables?

Comment

It happens due to heat. Put some more tape under neath the ribbon. I use Kepton tape.
                      The aluminum bar gets hot.
                      I have cut off the bad part and used sand paper to sand down the protective layer.
                      Do not try test fitting it to many times, because that fragile tab will come loose and then it's very hard to repair that connector.
                      I ended up removing that connector and soldered the ribbon directly to the PCB. It's very hard, I was lucky.
                      You will have to add some piece of tape or something on the back of the ribbon, because the connector it won't hold it in place due to less thickness of the ribbon without that blue backing tape.
                      Mark the ribbon side, which has to be sanded before you cut it off.

Comment

Thank you very much tibimakai. I used 150 grit sand paper to start, then used a really really fine grit to finish, I actually used a sanding pad that came with a kit to restore the lenses on my headlights. I put a small piece of electrical tape on the back of the ribbon so it would stay in the connecter. I turned my tv, and to my surprise, it worked. I didn't have to do any soldering, thankfully.

If you don't mind, I would like to post a thread with this idea. It may save a lot of people from hours of searching to find replacement ribbon cables. I searched for hours and couldn't find any, but I finally found them on Ebay. Somebody with the same tv as mine broke their display.

Comment

Hi,
                          I have this same TV and was able to fix it by replacing the ribbon cable on the right side (when looking at it from the front as if watching TV)...

the power supply will shut off because it detects short. The power supply is not damaged.

The buttons are supposed to be concave they are touch buttons not physical buttons. But I do not like them - I recommend using the remote.

Comment

Working...
                          X