Westinghouse LD 4655VX odd problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse LD 4655VX odd problem

Picked up a Westinghouse LD 4655VX for free today did some basic troubleshooting I leaned on this forum. The power supply is good but I get nothing at all when I hit the power button. After taking all the cables off the board I would have the 5v standby voltage. After doing the cables one by one I have determined that hen I unplug the ribbon cable circled in the picture the set will come on and it appears to me that this ribbon supplies the left back light. The right back light of course comes on with the left disconnected. So I think I have a bad back light and if so is it repairable?
    Attached Files

Re: Westinghouse LD 4655VX odd problem

Go to this previouse thread and read it all for your solution.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22932

Hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the thread reference. That was exactly the problem. The ribbon cable was bad going into the socket. I simply cut the existing cable, stripped and reinserted it in the socket and all Led's came on!

Comment

Glad it worked out.
        The set I'm working on is a version of your set. The model I have is Westinghouse LD-4680.......as far as I can tell it is the same as the LD 4655VX except sold at Walmart and or Costco, but suffers from the same problem.
        I made the mistake of using a power supply with the same rating as the tv factory one, except it was for a laptop, and it didn't have the short circuit cut off like the TV's factory one. When I had the back of the set off and plugged that wrong supply in, I saw smoke coming from the ffc that runs the led's for the left side. That's how I found the short, but I'm afraid the cable is toast now. The thread I referred you to just confirmed what I found out the hard way. Now I'm looking for a new cable, long enough to reach.
        Ebay has some.... I wish I had found that tread before I did that stupid stunt, ignoring my troubleshooting chops.......that will cost me $20.
        Live and learn.
        Regards.

Comment

Is the cable only carrying a positive and negative, or has it got multiple lines?
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hello tom66, great site here, learning something new everyday.

I'm not sure, I would have to check, because I haven't taken the bezel off the tv so I don't know how many led's that ribbon cable is supplying, and I haven't measured the output off the main board.
            Regards.
            Last edited by raptor49; 05-18-2013, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I would make my own wire harness and I would solder all the wires to both PCBs.

Comment

If it's just two wires I'd do that too.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The ribbon cable is feeding approximately 20 leds per side.

Comment

The ribbon cable has 12 contacts, so 12 wires.
                    Not sure if I could do that precise of work soldering, But it's an idea.

Comment

I have the same exact issue with mine - is it just the cable that's bad or the actual LEDs?https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28807
                      thanks.

Comment

12 wires but maybe 6 for positive, 6 for negative?

Comment

Mine was just the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by landyboy View Post
                            Mine was just the cable.
                            Sorry for the minor threadjacking, but should I just cut back the cable at the mainboard end a bit?
                            Or do I need a replacement cable?

Comment

Follow the link in post #2. You may be able to just wrap the cable with some tape to prevent the wires from shorting.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy1313 View Post
                                Follow the link in post #2. You may be able to just wrap the cable with some tape to prevent the wires from shorting.
                                Yep, read the link. But which end? Mine was not dropped. I took the outside part off the panel to see the other end of the cable and it looks fine.

Comment

I'm only going by what I've read in the thread. It looks like where the cable wraps around the metal casing of the panel is a problem area. If the ends of your cable don't look damaged, this could be your issue.

Comment

Thanks, I will mess with it when I get home

Comment

The LEDs have an Aluminum strip below them and the ribbon touches that strip at the edge.
                                      Just disconnect the ribbon cable at the LEDs end and look at it.
                                      Read, what I have written at post #76 in that thread.
                                      Last edited by tibimakai; 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                      X