Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAGNAVOX no picture powers LED 47MF437B/37

Originally posted by van18 View Post
    I am looking into a lawsuit. HE absolutely destroyed that PSU Board an even worse acted like that was what happens when you solder.
    You should have no trouble finding a company willing to provide an engineers report stating otherwise. At least that should help you get your money back.

Looks like he took to the PCB with a wire wheel on a grinder or something

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/996500045188...item1c2342f194

Comment

This is the best i could find.

http://www.pseelectronics.com/996500045188

I sent an e-mail and asked if it was available or could be available. I guess i'll see if they reply. This tv has got to be super rare.

Comment

You guys are on fire with the help. I can't thank you all enough for the suggestions and help. You even got me to laugh...not bad considering the crap I've had to deal with today. I see someone put up the eBay link. I use eBay quite a bit. However, sending this item in the mail again to a person I don't know...WOW huge leap of faith. Has anyone used eBay in this type of service/auction?

Thanks again gents

Comment

If you do the ebay route i would email the seller explaing your situation, maybe include a picture. It missing the transformer and the big poo stain on the back would probably make them not want to touch it. But they may have some spare parts for that board or would want a challenge.

Most repair services i've seen on ebay state the board should be in original condition and not tampered with.

The feedback the ebay repair service has is 100% positive out of 961 sales. I look at the comments and pretty much everybody that used their repair service is extremely satisfied, so i'd say that they would be a safe bet assuming they would even attempt it.
            Last edited by Mr Bill; 02-01-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks again for suggestions. I will keep you posted as i move forward. I am waiting to hear about getting money back for the "JOB" that was done to PSU. I wanted to see if I have a clear understanding of my options. Looking at the pics. I really have 3 choices:

1. Replace Transformer and pray that board still work. I have a feeling this is a real long shot

2. Replace board all together, if i can find it?

3. See if someone would be willing to repair, via ebay. (I think this may be difficult given the condition of the board)

I guess I am asking it possible to find a naked (sorry for the term) board (PSU) and do a complete rebuild. I AM PREETY SURE THIS IS A NEAR IMPOSABILITY GIVEN MY LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE).

Last, would it be be possible to some how convert the 715T2432-3 board to work with my tv. As a novice, I can look at the boards and see the difference and similarities. However, I dont know the signifigance of those difference.

Any thoughts??

Thanks again for the help!!

Comment

Originally posted by van18 View Post
                Thanks again for suggestions. I will keep you posted as i move forward. I am waiting to hear about getting money back for the "JOB" that was done to PSU. I wanted to see if I have a clear understanding of my options. Looking at the pics. I really have 3 choices:

1. Replace Transformer and pray that board still work. I have a feeling this is a real long shot

2. Replace board all together, if i can find it?

3. See if someone would be willing to repair, via ebay. (I think this may be difficult given the condition of the board)

I guess I am asking it possible to find a naked (sorry for the term) board (PSU) and do a complete rebuild. I AM PREETY SURE THIS IS A NEAR IMPOSABILITY GIVEN MY LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE).

Last, would it be be possible to some how convert the 715T2432-3 board to work with my tv. As a novice, I can look at the boards and see the difference and similarities. However, I dont know the signifigance of those difference.

Any thoughts??

Thanks again for the help!!
                Replacing the board would be the approach that has the greatest chance of success, assuming you can find a replacement. The chances of finding a bare board are about nil. IF you can get the transformer back, there is a possibility of repairing the power supply.

You haven't given enough information to know if this last suggestion is realistic. I suggest a 'goal oriented' approach - you want to have a working TV. In the USA we have a quasi-judicial function called 'small claims court'. No lawyers are involved, but you can present supporting evidence and experts. The cost to file a claim is under $50 in most areas; it helps if the person responsible for the damage is local.

Your task is to convince a judge that you had a reasonable chance of having the power supply repaired before 'bozo' ruined it, and that replacement supplies are not available, so you deserve to receive the cost of an equivalent 47" LCD TV. Your best chance to win will require showing the power supply was not scorched before you gave it to 'bozo', and an expert witness testifying that damage could not have occurred as the result of a normal attempt to repair.

PlainBill
                Last edited by PlainBill; 02-03-2012, 07:42 AM.
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Van18, could you please confirm that the two power boards in your possession are:

715T2454-2: missing the transformer and generally a mess.
                  715T2432-3: shipped to you incorrectly.

Can you post a picture of the top of the power supply that was shipped to you in error? I found a schematic for what seems to be that power supply, and it *appears* that the pinouts are the same.

WARNING! I'M NOT AN EXPERT. THIS IS FRAUGHT WITH PERIL, AND IS VERY RISKY! Had to put that in caps. I'm just musing here, but I'm wondering if the two supplies are pin compatible and the only work you will need to do is figuring out how to mount it...

Post that picture, I'd like to see. Thanks!

Comment

Rpgruss, I am looking for ideas. So, I will certainly entertain an reasonable ideas. I have learned a ton from the information you guys have given me. I know a rebuild would be VERY difficult. However, I am willing to learn and give it and effort.

Attached are the two PSU's we spoke about.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is that top or bottom?

Comment

I call that the bottom, but it's a start. Anyway, are they both missing transformers???

Comment

First off,

MR BILL, I just mentioned small claims court and I now have a credit in my paypal account. GUYS YOU ROCK!!!!!!

RP

To answer your question about the -3 PSU No, When I originally purchased it, the trans. was unattached. So, I had not not soldered it on after this pic was taken. Here are two more pics....the ones you requested
                          Attached Files

Comment

Dear god please share with us the "repairman" that obliterated that board so we can all be sure to never use or recommend them.

Comment

Can you post bigger pictures?

Comment

Hello, I am also a newbie to psu repair. I have the same power supply and it is doing the chirping and wont turn on. I had three capacitors that were blown "3 big ones together" I also have Black Spots on top and bottom of board where it looks burned. Can I assume that these are bad and that I might even need to bridge the under side of the board where they connect? Thank you for any help
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by scatman0000 View Post
                                  I have the same power supply and it is doing the chirping and wont turn on.
                                  Chirping could indicate that the power supply is trying to starting, but something is loading it down. That something could be a shorted diode. From the pictures, I would start with them. Test those diodes with your multimeter on diode test function to see if they are good or not.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I tested it with a multimeter on the diode setting and I get readings on both sides of the two diodes. I assume that means that they are bad . I am still learning and am unsure of some of my results. Will all properly working diodes give me a reading only in one direction when they are good? Both directions when bad? Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by scatman0000 View Post
                                      Will all properly working diodes give me a reading only in one direction when they are good? Both directions when bad?
                                      A good diode should read between 0.4 and 0.8V one way and "out of range" the other way. On an autorange multimeter, 0L is out of range. On a manual multimeter, "1" on the left hand side is out of range.

For example, if a diode reads say 0.3 both ways, then you should desolder it and retest out of circuit to verify your readings.

If you are unsure of the above, post your readings for each diode and include a picture of your multimeter.

Report it like below. Probes one way and then reversed.

D100 - 0.4, out of range
                                      D101 - 0.5, 0.5
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

In my experience with the chirping on a philips usually turns out to be zd902 & zd904. I would almost put money that the burn marks in the area of those 2 diodes are what is causing your chirping. Removing them from the board as retired caps instructions would confirm whether or not they are bad.

If you do get them out see if PK6E120A is on the diode. That has been the diodes that have been bad in all the philips boards i have worked on.

Comment

Thank you for the info, I will remove the diodes and report back. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                          X