Lg 42" plasma model p2pc3d-ud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lg 42" plasma model p2pc3d-ud

I too replaced a Z sus board on my LG 42PC3D that I bought on used on ebay. The plasma now has picture
    But it has the red speckles issue

Keep us posted if the firmware is the fix.
    Attached Files

Comment

Try dropping Vs by about 5V -- can sometimes reduce the effect.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by 8cuda View Post
        I too replaced a Z sus board on my LG 42PC3D that I bought on used on ebay. The plasma now has picture
        But it has the red speckles issue

Keep us posted if the firmware is the fix.
        It appears to work well for the 42X3 panels; I've flashed two boards with good results. There are still minute amounts of sparkles on an all-black screen, but they're barely noticeable.
        Last edited by capkid; 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM.
        LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

I just fixed a TV with a 50X3 panel. The jig totally eliminated the sparkles - WOW!

OK, I have an identical TV with a 50X3 panel that has a thin vertical line down the center. It also shows up when the menu is displayed. I'm fairly certain the panel is bad. Any thoughts to the contrary? I would post a pic, but the TV currently isn't operational.

Comment

Yeah, I'd say that's a bad panel. One of the COF (chip on flex) ICs is toast, at the bottom of the plasma panel.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              Yeah, I'd say that's a bad panel. One of the COF (chip on flex) ICs is toast, at the bottom of the plasma panel.
              Thanks. That's what I was afraid was happening. I guess I'll junk it and not spend anymore money on repairing the TV's internal faults.

Comment

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction to find the updated EEPROM file for a 42V8&X3 board, or are any of you guys offering an update service? Thanks

Comment

http://www.tgohome.com/ServiceManual...&Search=Submit

Comment

Thanks for the link.

I removed the EEPROM from the board and tried to reprogram it but my programmer wouldn't erase or write to it. In the end I bought a new one 29L320T from RS and programmed that. All verified ok.

Now it's installed back on the board the panel has no picture. With the auto test pins shorted you hear the familiar switching noise from the drive boards. The CTRL board has the temp LEDs lit.

The panel is a PDP 42PC1D, and the CTRL board is a 42V8&X3 6870QCH0C6C version, it says it's a PDP42X3xxxx panel, so I used the 42X3_3DCS4_88D4.bin file.

I have ordered another control board to see if I have killed it, though I'm not sure what I have done wrong. Perhaps I should have left it with the sparkles, but I suppose you have to learn some way

Comment

I removed the EEPROM today and tried the file for the 42x3a, which did nothing. Not even displaying the temperature LEDs on the CTRL board. I then removed the EEPROM again and programmed the original file the tv came with. This powered up similarly to the 42X3_3DCS4 file, so I guess in learning my smt soldering technique I killed something early on.
                      I have noticed that I don't have a -Vy voltage with the CTRL board ribbon plugged in to the YSUS? With it unplugged I see -200v?
                      I did initially repair this set by replacing the PSU capacitors and both IPMs, but I was trying to improve the picture by minimising the red sparkles
                      Any advice would be appreciated
                      I should add the model is a 42PC1R
                      Last edited by Mart; 03-04-2013, 05:02 PM. Reason: Extra info

Comment

Originally posted by Mart View Post
                        I removed the EEPROM today and tried the file for the 42x3a, which did nothing. Not even displaying the temperature LEDs on the CTRL board. I then removed the EEPROM again and programmed the original file the tv came with. This powered up similarly to the 42X3_3DCS4 file, so I guess in learning my smt soldering technique I killed something early on.
                        I have noticed that I don't have a -Vy voltage with the CTRL board ribbon plugged in to the YSUS? With it unplugged I see -200v?
                        I did initially repair this set by replacing the PSU capacitors and both IPMs, but I was trying to improve the picture by minimising the red sparkles
                        Any advice would be appreciated
                        I should add the model is a 42PC1R
                        I just programmed a 42V8&X3 board for a 42X30000 panel today, and 42X3_3DCS4_88D4 is the correct file. I didn't have to remove the EEPROM (used the LG jig), so I can't provide much more advice beyond verifying that all the connectors are seated properly.

Comment

Cheers, I found the fault with the YSUS and have removed the EEPROM and loaded the 88D4 firmware with success. Just need to check the voltage levels now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mart View Post
                            Cheers, I found the fault with the YSUS and have removed the EEPROM and loaded the 88D4 firmware with success. Just need to check the voltage levels now.
                            Good deal. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Comment

I now have a PC1DV with the 42V8 PDP. Have got the set up and running after doing battle with the PSU. I have a small maldischarge at the top, not too bad but I want to get it as good as it can be. I've tried adjustments but have it as good as it will get, it's now back as per the label. Going to try and flash a ROM, which is going to mean removing it as I dont have the jig. Have tried this on the 42V7 I had (still have) and ended up with blank screen, built in test patterns work, assuming I've flashed in the wrong ROM.

I dont want to invest in the Jig and don't believe in board swaps, I wish there was more information available on the 15 pin interface connector and the commands that are required, I'm sure I could build something with some more info

Comment

I'm now offering a service: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29263

Comment

Originally posted by Clydeuk View Post
                                  I now have a PC1DV with the 42V8 PDP. Have got the set up and running after doing battle with the PSU. I have a small maldischarge at the top, not too bad but I want to get it as good as it can be. I've tried adjustments but have it as good as it will get, it's now back as per the label. Going to try and flash a ROM, which is going to mean removing it as I dont have the jig. Have tried this on the 42V7 I had (still have) and ended up with blank screen, built in test patterns work, assuming I've flashed in the wrong ROM.

I dont want to invest in the Jig and don't believe in board swaps, I wish there was more information available on the 15 pin interface connector and the commands that are required, I'm sure I could build something with some more info
                                  http://openlgtv.org.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=770

Comment

Originally posted by capkid View Post
                                    Did you ask the owner, Topcat, if you can advertise this service on his forum?
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      Did you ask the owner, Topcat, if you can advertise this service on his forum?
                                      Yes, he gave the ok.

Comment

Originally posted by capkid View Post
                                        Yes, he gave the ok.
                                        Just checking.

I have seen people banned for not asking in the first place.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hmm that link above to openlgtv looks interesting, I might check it out more in depth later. Jig in the schematic looks to be the external one rather than the one that connects to the PDP connector. If I can build something to flash these without removing the ic I'll be happy, I could also spend a little more time analysing the differences to see what they are doing timing wise to address the maldischarge.

At the moment my assumptions based on my interpretation of LG's broken english instructions are that they are altering part of the Energy Recovery timing to prevent "self addressing" I assume altering a few voltages as well is to compensate for the chemical change that's occurred due to ageing. I have a feeling there is "no one size fits all" here and the updated instructions are sufficient for a majority of displays, I do believe it will be possible to correct most of the ones where the LG fix does not eliminate the problem, whether the picture quality will suffer too much as a result I don't know.

This is just a rambling thought on my part and I would welcome anyone else to get involved that would want to explore these ideas or suggest others.

What I'm thinking at the moment (it might not be possible) is to intercept communications between the LG processor on CTRL and the 29LV320 flash i.c. to be able to have a PC in some way be able to modify some data on the fly (perhaps using a PC to emulate the function of the 29LV320).

I think LG's instruction to replace both sustain boards and control with their kit is applying a hardware solution to the problem as well, perhaps the new sustain boards are designed such that they directly change the waveform in the areas that affect this problem.

I'm thinking too much I had better stop there for now.

Comment

Working...
                                          X