42" Sanyo from Walmart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

42" Sanyo from Walmart

Alright folks this is my first post so take it easy on me. I fixed my first TV from info I viewed on this site about a month ago for my sister and it went pretty smooth. It was on an LG and I found 4 bad 3300 caps and did my first solder job. I guess I got a little cocky because I bought a tv from someone that needed the money and couldn't wait to try to return it or call Sanyo. The manufacture date is from 4/11. I guess it only worked for about a month and a half and no it won't power on. I thought to myself "easy, I know the problem". I got the back panel off and all of the caps look ok. I pulled the pcb out and looked it over and I can't see any issues. I had the first 2 fuses checked and they are ok. Is there anything I should be checking out? I don't have any testing tools and don't know where to go from here. I get a green light to come on and hear the clicking but nother happens. No video, no sound, no back light. Any insight for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: 42" Sanyo from Walmart

Well, first of all, If the manufacturer date was from 4/11, I'd bet that the manufacturer warranty is still in effect. Don't void it at all. I'm shocked that the guy that sold it to you didnt think of that first.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Clear pictures of the power supply as well as the other boards would be a great help.

Comment

I will get some pictures and more info about the tv on tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by r_jcrum View Post

The manufacture date is from 4/11.

I don't have any testing tools and don't know where to go from here.
          It would be unwise to not get this fixed through the warranty. Call Sanyo and they'll probably have someone local come out and fix it for free. If you dont have any tools, you're only guessing. Even the best troubleshooters need tools.
          The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

If the original owner had the reciept I would try to get Walmart or Sanyo involved but the more I read about the trouble with this TV the more I realized I wouldn't get any help from either. Here are a couple pictures and I have had the fuses tested and they check out ok. The board and other pictures look identical to the ones that with the model # DP50740 that others have recently posted. I have also heard that once you have the back of the tv off that the manufacturer won't do anything for you. I went through and made sure everything is plugged in good and again I get a green light for about 10 sec. and then it starts to slowly blink if that means anything.
            Attached Files

Comment

is there a blink pattern or it just blink?

Comment

My concern was that there also would not be any parts to fix this TV available since it's somewhat new. Now that you posted the model number, I found a couple of cheap power supply boards on Ebay. Cheapest one is only $39 with free shipping. Since you don't have any testing tools I can only advise you to swap boards on best guess. At least the board is cheap.

Comment

I would lean toward one of the sustain boards. Since it powers on for ten seconds then shuts down and blinks I would say that the power supply is fine and there is a problem elsewhere that is sending a signal to the main board to go into protect. You will have to buy a meter if you don't have one already and test for shorts or other issues on the SC (Y-sustain)board and SS (z-sustain)board. It is better than blindly buying boards and hoping you get lucky. I have fixed a few of these Sanyo TVs with the Panasonic panels and each time it was a completely shorted SC (Y-sus)board or SS (Z-sus)board. Unfortunately, since it is made with panasonic components you will most likely not be able to find the transistors and mosfets to fix either board and will have to just replace the culprit board.

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I am starting to think it isn't the power supply either and its just going into protect mode. Just to be clear, it doesn't power on for ten seconds, I just seem to get a longer green light and then it starts to slowly blink. There doesn't seem to be any kind of pattern to it. Just long and slow blinks. Are the sustain boards more or less expensive than the power supply typically?

Comment

Typically less expensive but that is not always the case. Just to clarify my thought, if the green light is on then that means the TV is powered on regardless if the screen is on or not. The TV will then shut down and the light will blink.

Comment

I just seem to get a longer green light and then it starts to slowly blink. There doesn't seem to be any kind of pattern to it. Just long and slow blinks.
                        Usually, this code means something. Try to find a service manual to look up what this blinking code means. The long and short blinks is definitely a code you have to look up. You just have to count and then look it up on their chart.

Comment

Working...
                        X