Vizio Y Sus Z Sus Replacement Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio Y Sus Z Sus Replacement Questions

Hi everyone. I have a P42HDTV10A Vizio. Previous owner heard a pop and video went out, sound still worked. I checked the capacitors but do not see any damaged ones, other the two 330uf 450v fatties on the power board that have a small bulge on their heads [pic #3]. All the TV techs I spoke with say it is a Y Sus Z Sus board issue. Of course, I would like to do it myself if I can but I am only familiar with mac/pc disassembly. On eBay though, someone advertises a mail in service for my 6870QYH005B board... $140 to attempt to fix both the y and z boards. Please take a look at the photos... I could not tell where the damage may be.

What do you guys think, is the mail in option worth it? Anyone know a place with Y and Z board removal instructions?

The storage room is dark so pics are not perfect. You can see the original shots at http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/pcptwist/
    Let me know if better shots are needed Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help and hopefully can return the favor one day.

Attached Files
    Last edited by meditation; 02-03-2011, 03:07 PM. Reason: link added

Re: Vizio Y Sus Z Sus Replacement Questions

Pretty clean set you got there.

Don't assume that both the Y and Z sus boards are shot. Check the fuses on both the boards first. If you find any open fuses then it's safe to say that the IPM/s on the board are shorted.

If the fuses check out ok then power up the TV and leave it for half an hour to warm up. Switch off then touch the heatsinks, carefully(!), on the Y and Z sus boards. If you touch a stone cold heatsink then that is the board you need to change; open IPM/s.

Oh, and you may as well replace those cap's in pic #3.

Last edited by Remeniz; 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM.
    Soundcraft CPS-450 and CPS-550 (Rebuilds - Completed!)
    Samsung PS42V6S - in repair (New Y-SUS Board Completed)
    Philips 32PFL7782D/05 - in repair (PSU or Main Board - Selling)

Comment

Originally posted by Remeniz View Post
      Oh, and you may as well replace those cap's in pic #3.
      ...and all those samwha crapacitors if you found & fixed the problem..

the excessive use of samwha's in there smells like samsung OEM..

Comment

OK, thank you for advising me on this. The fuses are all white, there was no indication that they blew from what I saw. I also did a power check, and neither of the boards are stone cold... the z sustain was a bit warm, the y sustain was a bit warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
          ...and all those samwha crapacitors if you found & fixed the problem..

the excessive use of samwha's in there smells like samsung OEM..
          Wrong twice. Anyone SHOULD be able to recognize an LG electronics design. After all, they supply most of the components for the overadvertized Vizio line.

And while Samwah has had bad production runs of a few caps in specific values / voltages, it's far from the universal problem that you seem to believe.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by meditation View Post
            OK, thank you for advising me on this. The fuses are all white, there was no indication that they blew from what I saw. I also did a power check, and neither of the boards are stone cold... the z sustain was a bit warm, the y sustain was a bit warmer.
            Use a DMM to test the fuses. If you don't have one, buy one. If all fuses are intact, observe the screen preferably in a darkened room. If a faint image is visible in the lower right corner of the screen, you have a defective Z-sus. This can be enhanced by hooking up a source (DVD player) and stepping through the inputs until you hear the sound. You will need the DMM when adjusting the replacement Z-Sus

I would not advise using a repair service; you can buy a replacement board for essentially the same as the repair services, and you won't have to pay shipping to get the defective board to them.

A common failure is the hybrid under the heat sink on the Y-sus and Z-sus. I don't recommend going the 'replace the hybrid yourself' route unless you have superior soldering skills.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I'll try multimeter readings on the fuses (when I get one . Here are shots of the fuses I have might as well post 'em

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/P1010013.jpg
              http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/P1010010.jpg

Comment

BTW, if the capacitors that I pictured earlier (the ones that are just slightly bulging at the head) are bad, would that prevent the video from displaying? They are on the board at the center... which is I assume the power board.

Comment

The TV powers on OK, with a green light and all.

Comment

It's 11:00 PM, my fever just broke, and all the crud that has been accumulating in various places in my body are being ejected in an unpleasant manner. But the fever broke!!!

Education time. Most modern electronics represent a collaboration between multiple companies. An LCD TV may consist of an LCD panel from one company, a power supply from a second, inverters from a third, and a mainboard from a fourth. Add in the companies that produced the firmware and the plastic case, and you have a hodgepodge.

Plasma TVs are a little different animal. Usually the plasma panel, the various buffers,main logic card, sustain cards, and power supply are all supplied by the manufacturer of the plasma panel. The speakers, audio amplifier, remote, control panel, etc are added by the manufacturer. The main control card may be supplied by the panel manufacturer or the panel manufacturer, with firmware customized for that manufacturer.

The particular plasma panel in that TV is supplied by LG Electronics, LG used it in a number of TVs, including the 42PC3D-UD. That panel was also used in tvs built by a number of other companies, including Vizio. That panel had a consistent problem with the sustain boards, specifically the hybrids. There have been various culprits suggested - the silicon heat sink compound on the hybrid, a 15V supply that would drift, etc.

There are three likely failure modes

1. The hybrid on either sustain shorts and blows a fuse. In that case, you get the 'No picture, has sound' failure.

2. The hybrid shorts, does not blow a fuse, but overloads the power supply. That results in the 'Trys to turn on, turns back off' failure.

3. The hybrid on the Z-sustain fails in such a manner that the fuse does not blow, and the power supply is not overloaded. Again, you get the 'No picture, has sound' failure - with a little twist. There will be a dimly lit area in the lower right corner of the screen.

Everything points to your having either a mode 1 or a mode 3 failure. Once you get your DMM and test the fuses, you can hopefully identify which board is bad.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                      Wrong twice. Anyone SHOULD be able to recognize an LG electronics design. After all, they supply most of the components for the overadvertized Vizio line.
                      sorry.. i'm not a TV kinda guy, plus Vizio seems to be US-only, as i've never heard of them before and they're nonexistant on the other side of the pond

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                      And while Samwah has had bad production runs of a few caps in specific values / voltages, it's far from the universal problem that you seem to believe. PlainBill
                      Most Samsung LCD monitors use them, which is why i assumed it would also apply here..
                      I usually pull all Samwha's. Seen too many of them visibly OK, but baked dry..
                      (Samwha XC is a good example for that. The Samwha website also has no datasheet available for these whatsoever..)

I guess it's kind of a trust thing.. Like some people who are perfectly fine with Teapo and OST in PSU's while others think they're replace-on-sight caps..

Comment

Would anyone please advise me what setting to use on the DMM? Here is a pic of it:
                        http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/P1010014.jpg

I turned on the TV and placed the multimeter to 300 V~ (the first setting to the right of OFF) and placed the ends where the yellow arrows are pointing in this pic:
                        http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...P1010013-1.jpg

The result on both the Z and Y Sustains was "1" and "0" alternating on all four fuses. I imagine that I did not read them right. There are fuses on other boards that had exposed ends, and those produced higher readings.

Comment

Most techs say it is the Y sustain on the Vizios, so go ahead and get a new 6870QYH005B board. One guy said that the Z sustain will 90% fail within a month, so get both Z and Y.

Not sure if I should try to find a new one or "seller refurbished" one on eBay:
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/Vizio-6871QYH053...item33648837d5

Comment

Note the links in my signature for proper posting of pictures. Due to problems with some offsite hosts I refuse to go to them.

Set your DMM to the 200 ohm range, do the testing with the power off.

PlainBill

Comment

The cap's are inside of casings, so I reached their ends as best I could. The DMM reads .1 on all four caps.

PlainBill, I cannot post pics in the responses. But, there are no issues with my photobucket links as far as I know.

Comment

The cap's are inside of casings, so I reached their ends as best I could. The DMM reads .1 on all four caps.

PlainBill, I cannot post pics in the responses. But, there are no issues with my photobucket links as far as I know.
                                Is that a typo? I thought you were measuring fuses?

Assuming a typo, here's my best suggestion: With signal applied (or if you hit the menu? button on the remote), do you see any sign of light in the lower right corner of the screen? If you do, the Z-Sus is the problem. If you don't I'd suspect the Y-Sustain first. Oh, to pull the Y-Sustain card you will have to remove the right hand vertical brace.

PlainBill
                                Last edited by PlainBill; 02-06-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

PlainBill, I cannot post pics in the responses.
                                  Photos must be 2000x2000 resolution (or less) and 2MB (or less).
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

3.81MB or less (jpg)

Comment

My apologies that was a typo and I meant to say fuses not cap's.

I did not see signs of light while toggling the input and menu buttons (I don't have an extral DVD player to test with).

I guess I'll go with the Y sustain replacement. Do you suggest a "seller refurbished" board on eBay?

Comment

My apologies that was a typo and I meant to say fuses not cap's.

I did not see signs of light while toggling the input and menu buttons (I don't have an extral DVD player to test with).

I guess I'll go with the Y sustain replacement. Do you suggest a "seller refurbished" board on eBay?
                                        I would question any seller of refurbished Y-Sus boards carefully about just what was done. I've heard that just dropping in a new hybrid is not enough. Make sure that they offer some sort of warranty, and have an excellent feedback rating.

I believe Coppel TV repair both sells repair kits and also refurbishes the boards. They can be found on eBay.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                        X