Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryobi 12v Li-Ion Battery Charger dead

Originally posted by sambul83 View Post
    Sorry I didn't have a chance to complete this repair yet. Now I re-tested the removed cap, and it shown 0 Ohms in both directions, and also meter emitted sound on "short" test both ways. Does it confirm "tin whiskers" theory? I don't see them on the board. Despite all this, it measured 250uF stable capacitance versus 220uF rated. How is it possible?
    I doubt it is tin whiskers. I don't think they grow inside capacitors... usually they grow on the solder terminals outside.

It seems strange it could measure shorted and still test OK with capacitance. I don't understand that, unless it just has a really high leakage current or something.

Open question however remains, why did it die prematurely without being used...
    Same way anything does... sometimes it just happens.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

No it does not make sense, something is not being measuring correctly some where, it is like measuring a piece of copper wire and it show lots of capacitance.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
        It seems strange it could measure shorted and still test OK with capacitance. I don't understand that, unless it just has a really high leakage current or something.
        My guess would be reduced breakdown voltage. The meter doesn't test with a high voltage (high as in more than a few volts), so it seems fine when measuring the capacitance, but it breaks down (high leakage current) at the circuit's operating voltage.

I'll get C203 cap replacement. Yes, its 0.2 Ohms reading went away once removed from the board, but... I can't say what it is now. Once out and fully discharged, it measures from 30 kOhms slowly growing to 2 mOhms, then suddenly drops back to 15-30 kOhms, and start growing again towards mOhms. Is it normal for caps? I assume its bad, since without it the charger shown signs of life?
        I think you must have meant mega-ohms instead of milli-ohms. I use MOhms for mega-ohms, and mOhms for milli-ohms.
        It sounds like either your probes have a bad connection to the cap, or the cap's dielectric is breaking down, causing it to discharge what little voltage/energy that accumulates from the resistance test.
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
          I would replace C203 first and see what happen, without that high capacitance in place the circuit may be oscillating.
          Sorry for the late update, I finally got a hold of new adjustable soldering iron, replaced C203 cap as suggested, and the charger is now working like new again - already fully charged 2 batteries. Ryobi service told me earlier, they don't repair chargers out of warranty, just buy the new one for $40. Amazingly, just one 30 cents cap replaced, and the charger is "brand new" again. Appreciate budm and other guys for help in this matter.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sambul83; 07-09-2015, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your work

I have one Ryobi 18 Li-Ion Battery Charger that is dead and have not had the time to trouble shoot what wrong with is but it is doing the same thing no LEDs are lighting up

When I have some time to work on this board again I have a good idea where to start
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

What an excellent discussion I just used the info here to go through my dead BCL-1200 charger and found the issue to be that voltage was coming in at 230v passing through fuses diodes, NTC 10ohm thermistor and caps getting rectified to 340dc and not getting any further with caps further into the circuit at 0v. The issue was the TOP245YN which is meant to convert the 340v dc to 12v which didn’t do anything. There was 0v on the control pin so I also changed R104 and R103 which are meant to provide a 5.8v turn on signal to the TOP245YN. I changed both resistors and voltage converter as i could see a zero load 110v on r104 with one side lifted from the board.
              I intend on replacing the electrolytic caps with Samsung caps or similar branded as these are my best guess for the TOP245YN and it would be great to know this will be reliable. I also intend on buying a capacitor tester to see how worn my rusty disused charger capacitors are.
              Last edited by Crazyfrog; 04-06-2022, 02:58 PM.

Comment

samsung are crap, use panasonic FR series or rubycon ZL series
                but not for the big mains cap - that needs to be something like a rubycon BXW

Comment

Working...
                X