Psu makes PC hibernate? Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psu makes PC hibernate? Is it possible?

Is it possible that a power supply can send a signal at the motherboard and make Windows 7 Ultimate enter hibernate mode?

Pc shuts down while running 3DMark05 and Super Pi benchnmarks, but when I boot back into Windows7 Super PI resumes and 3DMark shows a message that it was interrupted.

Re: Psu makes PC hibernate? Is it possible?

there is an advanced hibernation setting you have to change, an do you have all other power savings features off?

Comment

I just turned off every energy saving settings I found in windows7 control panel. But, I thought that when running a full screen benchmark such as 3DMark, it would prevent Computer from entering standby/hibernation...

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
        Is it possible that a power supply can send a signal at the motherboard and make Windows 7 Ultimate enter hibernate mode?

Pc shuts down while running 3DMark05 and Super Pi benchnmarks, but when I boot back into Windows7 Super PI resumes and 3DMark shows a message that it was interrupted.
        Sounds like the video just stopped, likely because of an unstable GPU core.....
        The 3D Mark error message description sounds like an unstable GPU core OC.

It sounds more like the Windows video driver stopped and recovered. You may or may not see an error message on the bottom right about the display driver not responding. It don't sound like it went to hibernation.
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-13-2014, 04:37 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

But all the fans stopped moving...

Comment

But all the fans stopped moving...
            I dunno why.....
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

As far as I know, no.

You only have the PS-ON and PG signals. PS-ON is controlled by the motherboard and not the PSU, so PSU can't cause a motherboard to go to sleep from there.
              With PG, however, I'm not sure what a lack of that signal will do when motherboard is running. I somehow think it shouldn't affect the PC operation either once the PC is running, but I don't know for sure. Maybe try it on a spare "junk" motherboard and see.

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
              Sounds like the video just stopped, likely because of an unstable GPU core.....
              The 3D Mark error message description sounds like an unstable GPU core OC.
              I highly doubt that's the problem.
              When the GPU trips, the system won't go in sleep. Either hard reset, blue screen, or back to desktop if you are lucky. Usually you get looping audio too when it happens.
              Last edited by momaka; 04-24-2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Mystery solved!

It seems that 3DMark05 couldn't prevent Windows7 from entering standby.

The OS was Windows 7 fresh install and the default power management settings set the PC to enter standby after 30 minutes...

The power supply is ok and has been returned to customer.

Comment

that's stupid,
                  power management should only be on by default in laptops.
                  typical ms crap-coding!

Comment

Nah, probably this prevents many goobers from burning through hundreds of dollars of power (per machine) each year. Multiply that by however many people leave their PCs running full tilt for no reason...

Comment

but most desktops these days are checking mail & stuff as background tasks!

Comment

Working...
                      X