Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your bad experiences with Antec power supplies here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your bad experiences with Antec power supplies here!

There are some Macron photos around here - these PSUs look good inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
      There are some Macron photos around here - these PSUs look good inside.
      Willawake's Macron MPT-350P and Rainbow's DTK power supply both look very good.
      My gaming PC:
      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Well, I decided to open up my spare Antec TruePower 380W spare for kicks, and wouldn't you know it. Two bad Fuhjyyus! Right next to the fan, even. This came out of my Antec Sonata case that's at most two years old. The PSU has been out of the case for about a year.

I wouldn't even ask someone to recap the thing. Look at the mess of glue in there.
        Last edited by CaysE; 02-21-2006, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I should also mention (I can't edit a post more than once?) that the above PSU was used on a power conditioner for its first few months of life (Furman PL-Plus) and then moved to a UPS (APC Back-UPS ES 725) until it was replaced with an Antec NeoPower 480. I honestly don't know how the thing could have killed itself.

In retrospect, I have a 5 year old or so Sato (I think) LPD2-300WW that has one barely bulging 1000u 10v Jun Fu, and this PSU has been through hell with all the power fluctuations in this building and no protection.

Comment

I have seen a Antec server PSU faling the catastropic way.
            it comes with an 2he 19` server case. The whole rack was conected to an APC UPS so no overvoltage. After the braker gos of, the PSu burnt several minutes until the UPS are empty....
            In my opinion Antec is all crap. I think they are real blenders. They sell well equipted an fanzy desinged boxes with lot of cheapest bs in it. In other words i never ever would bay an Antec psu. They cost so mutch money and are in fact crap.
            I know, all retail PSU`S are realy cheap in production, and in most cases there are not mutch different to cheap oem`s. Just marketing. But Antec overdo it in therms of value for money. Thats are my 5 cent`s to Antec. From a business perspective they do well, but i hope not in the long run.

Comment

i had my antec sl450 psu for over a year now, no problems at all, upgraded to intel 3.0ghz and a GeForce 6600GT, still going strong. last week, i bought a GeForce 7800Gs, the psu is well over the needed specs for that card. it burnt the card just 3 days ago, got it replaced, tought it was only a bad card. nope, its the psu, damn it.

to use my computer , had to disconnect every fans, and my 2nd had, along with the cd-rom drives. waiting for a new psu. ill buy enermax. i never will buy antec again! isnt it supposed to have a protection of some kind, to prevent this. even my old bestpower(very generic) psu never had any problems, i had it for like 3 years, and was running all day even during summer when it's like 35degrees inside.

Comment

Cracked open my True430 this morning as our machine was acting up... It's dieing, caps aren't vented yet but are swollen... I'll probably fix it up sometime soon... I'm running an AMS Mercury supply for now. I'm looking at doing a A64 build tonight anyway...
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Not nice to hear. I went with an Antec TC 550W as I thought Antec were a high quality brand and all that.

I'll be opening my PSU's which are currently in use and taking a look at the state of things pretty soon then.....

Comment

Funny thing, did a quick glance, but the fat boys in there are... "Rubycon"... or was it "Rulycon"... warrants a second look... LOL

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Rubycon... the bloated ones are Fuhjyyu... 2x 2200uF 16V & 4x 3300uF 10V...

Comment

*bumpage!
                        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by AntecTechLevel4 in this thread.

I am even more sorry becuase it sounds as if he is speaking from personnal experience.
                          If he you be so kind as contact us tomorrow we would be more than happy to send you new Anmtec Units. It does not matter how old your units are. I will make sure they get exchanged.
                          hohoho... that's a nice thing to hear. is he a man of his words?
                          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
                            hohoho... that's a nice thing to hear. is he a man of his words?
                            Let us hope so yanz. He sure opened the door with that statement

Go to Anandtech dot com, search the posts of AntecTechLevel4 and AntecCSR to have the full read if you wish. You'll only come up with about 10 threads and half of them are fairly long but you will get the big picture.

I view him/her more as a PR man, a spin Doctor, than an EE.

Comment

I opened up my Antec Truepower 380w this morning and found 4x Fuhjyyu 3300uF 10v capacitors bulging and venting aswell as 2x Fuhjyyu 2200uF 16v caps venting, the Rubycons on the input weren't though, of course =P

I'm intending on recapping it.

Comment

Over the Past year or so, I've re-capped about half a dozen antecs from customer computers and thrown about 10 out when I couldn't be bothered repairing them!!
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

i had one fry an athlon xp thorton core 1.6ghz. what a POS!
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Seen that happen as well. One customer had a Gigabyte Skt. 775 MB with a P4 CPU (Can't remember speed). It would have been a fairly expensive computer. Anyhow, the motherboard got Antec'd.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Here's another one. It even blew the two big fellas, as well as the 5vsb. I'll probably just use this one for fans and wires as I have a few spare PSUs at the moment
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Just got yet another Antec smartpower in. This time its an SP-450 It has one Koshin cap and the rest are a mixture of Teapo and Fuhjyyu. So far, the Koshin is the only failed cap. they must be VERY bad if the fuhjyyu have all outlasted it.

Comment

Just destroyed it in the re-cap. A path came off the PCB when I pushed one of the caps through the hole.

Comment

Working...
                                          X