Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your bad experiences with Antec power supplies here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your bad experiences with Antec power supplies here!

you can order pc power & cooling online at their site and see also interior photo of each psu.
    http://www.pcpowercooling.com
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

just got one in that is similar to the one posted here.
      fan locked up and all secondary caps exploded.
      box was still running but would reboot for no apparent reason.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
        just got one in that is similar to the one posted here.
        fan locked up and all secondary caps exploded.
        box was still running but would reboot for no apparent reason.
        Pictures?

Originally posted by willawake
        you can order pc power & cooling online at their site and see also interior photo of each psu.
        Hey, remember that pic that was posted a long time ago? I saw it and there was a Teapo cap visible in a PC Power & Cooling power supply. This is the link to it:

And their Silencer 310 ATX power supply is $49.00, that's pretty expensive for a 310W power supply.
        Last edited by Newbie2; 12-24-2005, 11:28 AM.
        My gaming PC:
        AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
        ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
        PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
        G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
        TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
        WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
        ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
        Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
        Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
        Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
        Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
          On that note, even PC P&C's high watt Win-Tact made units look to be using Teapo (at least I think those are Teapo): http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...34&articID=332

Makes me wonder if Teapo is really all that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
            On that note, even PC P&C's high watt Win-Tact made units look to be using Teapo (at least I think those are Teapo): http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...34&articID=332

Makes me wonder if Teapo is really all that bad.
            Teapo is the better brand in the bad cap manufacturer list, when they fail usually the cap doesn't bulge, but testing the cap will show that the cap failed.
            My gaming PC:

Comment

I wonder why there is no fan failure protection in PSUs. They can simply use a 3 wire fan and stop the PSU if it stops. Or even use a thermistor to stop it if the temperature exceeds some preset value.
              I've seen this on ECS/PC Chips Slot A board - there is a thermistor between the MOSFETs of the CPU voltage regulator connected to the VRM chip so it turns off when it overheats. I guess that this prevents the MOSFETs from shorting out even if the caps fail.

Comment

I was given a 3-year-old 300W SmartPower (older version, 16A +12V rail) because it was dead, but after I pried up and clipped several bent-over leads on its circuit board it worked fine. Then about a year ago I found a bulging Fujyyu cap on the +12V rail, even though the computer system hardly used +12V (+5V power, a CD-RW and a 5400 RPM HD). It had high ESR, but the other +12V cap was OK. Then a week later it too bulged and developed high ESR.

Comment

I have an Antec SmartPower SL350 that recently died on me.

Opening it up, I find leaking electrolytic caps:

The purple and black ones are Fuhjyyu, the green one is a Teapo.
                  The purples are low ESR, the others are standard hi-temp models.

I'm gonna try to re-cap it and see if it comes back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by jjmcwill
                    The purple and black ones are Fuhjyyu, the green one is a Teapo.
                    The purples are low ESR, the others are standard hi-temp models.
                    In my 300W Antec the black Fuhjyyus also went bad.

Comment

I ordered replacements for the entire bunch. I think I'm gonna have a hard time fitting them. The originals have 10mm diameter, but the best I could find at Mouser.com as 12.5mm dia.

Comment

The caps look to be well spaced, 12,5mm will not give you big problems.
                        The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
                          The caps look to be well spaced, 12,5mm will not give you big problems.
                          Actually, they aren't well-spaced. I have a SL350 that I just recapped. It's not working yet (some other fault that remains to be discovered and resolved), but the failed cap on the PSU shown in the picture (4700μF, 10V) is actually marked for 12.5mm, even though 10mm is installed; the others are crammed in between the wiring harness and the output coils, and need to be 10mm to fit. Trying to use all 12.5mm caps resulted in pushing the wiring harness so far that the lid wouldn't fit on anymore. The PSU filter outputs are all pi networks, with input and output capacitors and toroids in the middle.

Here are the original parts and my replacements (all new caps are 10mm except the 4700μF, which is 12.5mm):
                          +3.3 3300μF, 6.3V Teapo input and 3300μF, 10V Fuhjjyu output, both replaced by 3300μF, 6.3V Rubycon MBZ
                          +5 4700μF, 10V Fuhjjyu input and 3300μF, 10V Fuhjjyu output, replaced by 4700μF, 10V Panasonic FM input and 2200μF, 10 Panasonic FM output
                          +12 2200μF, 16V Fuhjjyu input and output, both replaced with 1800μF, 16V Panasonic FM

I know that I "lost" some capacitance on the +5V and +12V lines, but I figure that high-quality capacitors of lower value are better than "higher value" crap that really isn't higher value. As a point of interest, my new SL350 uses 3300μF, 16V input and output Fuhjjyus on the +12V line, apparently in an attempt to compensate for the loss of capacitance with time of the Fuhjjyus.

Comment

Thanks Akor, was not clear from the photo given.
                            The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Originally posted by AK0R
                              Here are the original parts and my replacements (all new caps are 10mm except the 4700μF, which is 12.5mm):
                              +3.3 3300μF, 6.3V Teapo input and 3300μF, 10V Fuhjjyu output, both replaced by 3300μF, 6.3V Rubycon MBZ
                              +5 4700μF, 10V Fuhjjyu input and 3300μF, 10V Fuhjjyu output, replaced by 4700μF, 10V Panasonic FM input and 2200μF, 10 Panasonic FM output
                              +12 2200μF, 16V Fuhjjyu input and output, both replaced with 1800μF, 16V Panasonic FM
                              Just realized myself I have an SL350 to recap... had a terrible time looking for Digikey replacements. What I plan on so far:

12v: Chemicon KY 10mm 1500uf for both
                              5v: Panasonic FM 4700uf 12.5mm and Panasonic FC 2200uf 10mm
                              3.3v: Chemicon KY 2700uf 10mm for both

Question - am I giving up too much value on the 12v caps? Couldn't find a thing in 10mm even close to 2200uf. I think I should be ok on the 2700's for the 3.3v, but any comments are welcome on those too. If not those, I'll just go for Chemicon KMG 3300uf, 10mm instead and hope they last.

Comment

You're giving up 700uf when you use 1500uf caps in the place of 2200uf caps. I'd say that's fine. Your selection of replacement caps I say is fine.
                                My gaming PC:

Comment

Cool - now I just need to wait for those 2700's to get back in stock. Would like to stay away from general purpose caps as much as possible on these CWT's I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                                    You're giving up 700uf when you use 1500uf caps in the place of 2200uf caps. I'd say that's fine. Your selection of replacement caps I say is fine.
                                    Yes, but it's 700μF twice (once on the input, and again on the output), so the total change is from 4400μF (6600μF in new units) down to 3000μF. Also, I found that my caps on the +12 line were 1500μF, not 1800μF as stated in my previous post, so I'm in the same boat. I still think they will be good enough.

Comment

Just did my SL350 this morning... used Panasonic FM 12.5mm 3300's for the 3.3v rail, Chemicon KY 4700 12.5mm and Panasonic FM 12.5mm 3300 for the 5v rail, and two 1500uf Chemicon KY for the 12v rail. Didn't even have to use the Chemicon KY 2700's I bought as "just in case" caps.

I did have to get a little creative with the wire management to get the FM's all in there, but managed it ok. Not sure I could have gotten the 12v 2200's replaced with 12.5mm equivalents though - space was too tight around there.

Comment

Originally posted by AK0R
                                        my new SL350 uses 3300μF, 16V input and output Fuhjjyus on the +12V line, apparently in an attempt to compensate for the loss of capacitance with time of the Fuhjjyus.
                                        Or could it be for the higher +12V amp rating of the newer SL350? I've never owned an older SL350, but I have an older SL300, and some of its output filter caps are smaller than those in the newer SL300, and its high voltage MOSFET are each rated for 6.5A rather than 9A.

Comment

On Wednesday, February 15, 2006 I got a Generic (Best Power) 500W Dual 80MM fan P4 Ready power supply to replace my Antec SL450 power supply. The generic was heavy and had the its UL file number was E199529, and a UL file number search shown it was manufacturered by "CASING MACRON TECHNOLOGY CO LTD". I looked through the vents of it and it has Teapo secondary caps and Fuhjyyu main caps. I'm not allowed to open it up because I just don't want to, and it's powering my main system that I always use.

Is "CASING MACRON TECHNOLOGY CO LTD" a good manufacturer?

I replaced my already going-good Antec SL450 because I was scared because the ans were running below 1200RPM all the time and the rear 80MM exhaust fan of that SL450 were blowing out warm air. Fuhjyyu caps + hot environment = something not good.
                                          My gaming PC:

Comment

Working...
                                          X