Dell Inspiron 11 3179 (P25T003) Bios Dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 11 3179 (P25T003) Bios Dump

Hi. I gave my Dell Inspiron 11 3179 (P25T003) to my brother a while back. He thought setting a bios password would give him an extra layer of security against prying eyes and thieves. Unfortunately, that extra security turned around on him, he forgot the bios password and now the laptop is unuseable. I have the service tag number so I decided to call Dell customer service for a master unlock code , but to no avail, the code would not work for some reason (and yes, I tried holding control before I pressed enter after entering the master code, didn’t work either) . I saw people having success by reprogramming the bios chip by using a SOP8 bios chip programmer, I bought one and was successful in reading the bios chip. 3 questions:

1)Is there a way to remove the bios password manually by editing the code using a hex editor? If so, location of line of code to be edited and instructions on what I need to change.

2) Or would it be easier to obtain a clean bios firmware and just replace the locked bios firmware already on my laptop? If so, can anyone please provide me with a clean working bios dump for this particular laptop?

3) if it’s even easier, can anyone provide me a master unlock code that actually works if I provide the service tag number (see pic)?

Thank you in advance to anyone that may be able to assist me!
    Last edited by Abe777; 03-09-2019, 02:37 PM.

Re: Dell Inspiron 11 3179 (P25T003) Bios Dump

Here is my service tag number!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Abe777 View Post
      Hi. I gave my Dell Inspiron 11 3179 (P25T003) to my brother a while back. He thought setting a bios password would give him an extra layer of security against prying eyes and thieves. Unfortunately, that extra security turned around on him, he forgot the bios password and now the laptop is unuseable. I have the service tag number so I decided to call Dell customer service for a master unlock code , but to no avail, the code would not work for some reason (and yes, I tried holding control before I pressed enter after entering the master code, didn't work either) . I saw people having success by reprogramming the bios chip by using a SOP8 bios chip programmer, I bought one and was successful in reading the bios chip. 3 questions:

1)Is there a way to remove the bios password manually by editing the code using a hex editor? If so, location of line of code to be edited and instructions on what I need to change.

2) Or would it be easier to obtain a clean bios firmware and just replace the locked bios firmware already on my laptop? If so, can anyone please provide me with a clean working bios dump for this particular laptop?

3) if it's even easier, can anyone provide me a master unlock code that actually works if I provide the service tag number (see pic)?

Thank you in advance to anyone that may be able to assist me!
      do you have spiprogrammer? read and post that lockbios here... i try to help to clear the password...

Comment

I do have a spiprogrammer. I have read the bios chip and here's the bin file (attachment). Please excuse me if i posted in an incorrect format or not the way you want. If you need me to post it in a different way, just let me know what you need and i will provide it. I am new to the forums world, so please excuse me in advance.

Thank You for your help!!

Comment

sorry, didn't attach properly the first time.
          Attached Files

Comment

Could you provide the master password you received from Dell, either in a post or in a private message?
            Sometimes Dell will ask for the incorrect information to generate the master password. Checking the Service Tag at www.dell.com, it shows this as an "Inspiron 11 3185 2-in-1", I just downloaded the bios update and seems like it uses a System Disable 16-hex code, so there's a possibility they have just asked you for the ServiceTag (which some computers use for unlock, but not this one).
            Computer is still under warranty, so if my assumption is right, then you should provide them with the System Disable code, for which Dell in return will provide you with an 8-digit number.

Some of these models also have an ENE ec/kbc chip, where the password is stored, password is usually NOT in the bios chip... but your mileage may vary.
            Last edited by drgn997; 03-10-2019, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abe777 View Post
              sorry, didn't attach properly the first time.
              greeting abe777

drgn997 right about type, from your bios are : inspiron 11 3185 with AMD processor..
              but i am sure the password store at bios chip not EC, i have some reason for this...

1. Until now I never found bios password for AMD base system store at EC chip.
              2. And then this link to make sure :
              hxxps://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-for-Dell-Inspiron-11-3180-Dell-Inspiron-11-3185-No-Password-/132785362743
              3. However you have to try it, so you'll know whether the is store at bios chip or EC chip...
              4. Better try this file, it was extracted from dell web update..

goodluck and please confirm...
              Attached Files

Comment

I agree with rioreno-never found password in ec in amd system.

Comment

Thank you so much, it seems to have worked in removing the bios lock (You are 100% correct @rireno, not stored on EC). But now its saying the HDD is locked. I removed the HDD and booted, i was able to gain access to the BIOS settings screen and boot options. I think now all i have to do is format the HDD, as there was really nothing of importance on it, and reinstall the OS, correct?

P.S. Out of curiosity, is this normal protocol for when a BIOS password is set? Does it automatically lock the HDD as well?

and also, could i have just downloaded a fresh bios file from Dell and extracted the.bin and loaded into the chip? would that have worked or would i still had to make changes for it to work with my specific laptop?

Thank you

Comment

If your hdd is locked, formatting wont remove the password as the password is stored in the logic board of hdd.

Comment

@ Abe777
                      I've sent you a message, check and follow instructions.

Comment

@drgn997 it gives me the service tag # J1F29L2

sorry for the delayed response

Comment

Working...
                        X