AcOk-~3.0 v
    AcDet-~2.8-30v
    Iout-seems MV but can't verify.
    Sda-3.3v
    Sdl-3.3v
    Ilm-3v

Comment

Re: HP 8470p, Battery isnt Detected.

Can you confirm the PVBAT voltage with only the adapter?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
        Can you confirm the PVBAT voltage with only the adapter?
        I'm not at home rn.. I'll get back as soon as I can.
        Last edited by echo26; 03-11-2022, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Now I am really bugged, how the hell it became no power when we just remove an ESD diode, that doesn't make sense. Charging circuit is active which should technically either drive the power with or without the battery.

Comment

It is not related but something else is wrong. Double check your work. Just bad luck.

The charger voltages seem to be ok.

Good to check for shorted mosfets with all power removed, then check the resistance for each mosfet as noted earlier.

Post the readings.

Other suggestions are to measure the voltage at each large coil. Each coil will be linked to a local power supply rail. Need to be sure each rail is functioning.

Comment

It is not related but something else is wrong. Double check your work. Just bad luck.

The charger voltages seem to be ok.

Good to check for shorted mosfets with all power removed, then check the resistance for each mosfet as noted earlier.

Post the readings.

Other suggestions are to measure the voltage at each large coil. Each coil will be linked to a local power supply rail. Need to be sure each rail is functioning.
              About the MOSFET, any tips about identifying a good one from a shorted one. I'm resistance you mean, checking the MOSFETs in respect to each pins like gate to source , source to drain , gate to drain? Somthn like that?

Comment

At some point , power button light sometimes light up for 5secs I believe with no fan spin.
                There's not much of a wiring for the laptop except for the Lights and screen. Everything else is on board. I will be printing a copy of the manual and will start to take not of voltage readings and resistances, maybe that will narrow us to any conclusion.
                Last edited by echo26; 03-11-2022, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Yes on how you posted to test the mosfet. No power and in resistance mode.

Looking for low resistance across the pins which means a shorted mosfet.

Comment

Got it. Will get back as soon.

Comment

Just checked, pvbat is 19v.

Comment

Finaaaaaallly I got fan spin, now I have no display. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkk ��������

Comment

Hey uhh sorry for spamming, I know youre probably asleep because of our time difference. Anyway, I was able to boot into battery and the battery was successfully detected. I ran trouble into having no display not know I dont knwo why my stock 2gb ram wasnt working, changed to 8GB ram and it bootied with the screen. Any besides the issue of being stuck into the hp screen sometime I have to manually select my boot device even the boot order has windows prioritized as 1. I have blinking caps lick and scroll lock issue sometimes but I am able to escape that blinking by manually selecting my boot device. I have resetted the bios anyways, so I had it reconfiugred again. Thanks for all your help,I guess Ill be happy for now.

Comment

Hi. Yes, catching up on my beauty sleep.

Well done! Glad you did not give up. If the unit is stable, consider to check and flash the latest bios from the HP website. You should be able to reflash the box using Windows or Bios with a USB stick.

Also, if you have an onboard coin cell battery, review to replace it. It may be the popular CR2032 style.

When you can, source the common esd diode from AliExpress or your local stores. The ESD parts are sacrificial and they do die but also prevent damage to other sensitive parts on the logic board (ie. EC / KBC controller). In the meantime and in general, wear a grounding strap on your wrists when working with logic boards.

If the 2nd battery connector is not used, you can remove the esd part off the logic board from there to replace the defective one.

Comment

Yeah, unit is stable except I am still figuring out why all my USB ports aren't working. ��
                              Usb are enabled in the bios lol. No Mass storage, no Usb Keyboard and Mouse,. Only power is received from Usb

Comment

Does your meter offer a diode mode setting?

May be a good idea to pickup a low cost digital meter with diode mode and other features. They should be available on Amazon or of course AliExpress.

Then with no power, using diode mode...

Red meter lead to ground (yes Red).

Black meter lead to D+ of usb connector. Reading?
                                Repeat with D-.

Since none of the usb ports are active, something else could be the fault. Will check the schematics in a few...

Comment

Does your meter offer a diode mode setting?

May be a good idea to pickup a low cost digital meter with diode mode and other features. They should be available on Amazon or of course AliExpress.

Then with no power, using diode mode...

Red meter lead to ground (yes Red).

Black meter lead to D+ of usb connector. Reading?
                                  Repeat with D-.

Since none of the usb ports are active, something else could be the fault. Will check the schematics in a few...
                                  No diode mode unfortunately, I normally use resistance as checking diode as it has no diode mode. I'll be picking a new meter soon. I just have to resort to what I have now hhhahahah

Comment

This is starting to be a cascading messs hahahahahahha.
                                    1. Battery
                                    2. No power
                                    3. No display
                                    4. Now no usb
                                    Wth is happening

Comment

Boot into Windows. Enter the Device Manager.

Then attach a usb mouse or anything that is USB.

Do you see any activity in the Device Manager?

Also confirm that there is no security restrictions for the USB interface. Perhaps you are being blocked due to the bios settings.

Comment

USB ports are enabled in the bios, I disbaled Selective suspend, and even the power management of the usb root hubs. Kinda wierd . I just updated the bios as well.

Comment

Boot into Windows. Enter the Device Manager.

Then attach a usb mouse or anything that is USB.

Do you see any activity in the Device Manager?

Also confirm that there is no security restrictions for the USB interface. Perhaps you are being blocked due to the bios settings.
                                          theres nothing I cant think of that blocks the usb ports except the bios reset that I have done when the screen didnt turned on as i pulled out my CMOS batt.
                                          USB root hub shows fingerprint is consuming power, and ONe composite device. 4 ports are seen but no consuming any power. The other root hu b shows 8 ports with no consuming power.
                                          Last edited by echo26; 03-12-2022, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X