Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Originally posted by stryed View Post
    I'm getting 0.6ohms without the cpu again. So with ot without cpu, with or without caps, I always get the same reading and a bridge between pos and neg.
    i`m sorry to say but if i`m the one who has to say it, i`ll say it
    Your MOBO its FUBAR.
    take some solder Wick and clean everything there
    Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

I believe so...I'm about to order a new PCB/MB.

I will buy more wick and try cleaning, but the copper rift and everything around is cleaned already, so I guess the scratches are the cause of the continuity...

Anyone have last measure, drastic tips on how to possibly fix my copper scratch between pos and neg (along the dark green anti-solder material)? Anything goes!!

Still learned a lot and know what to do if the new NECTOKIN fails.

Will be more careful from now on. Lesson learned.
      Happy NY!
      Last edited by stryed; 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM. Reason: cleaning?

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
        take some solder Wick and clean everything there
        I agree, there should be no copper under the dark green line, so you can't be on the line where you scratched, (unless you have scratched too deeply) the line separates the ground plain and the positive, so clearly by your picture you don't have that, so find the dividing line. (clean it up with solderwick )
        Happy and prosperous new year too all.
        Last edited by trebo; 12-31-2013, 02:39 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/g...ars_2_review/3

Hahahaha a bit OT but just found this. One OE907 for each GPU. Methinks that GPU will become an expensive paperweight soon

EDIT: They're actually also on the GTX 570 and a lot of high end Asus motherboards, in addition to the Toshiba L6xx/7xx series. I predict these models will be quitting in inordinate numbers given a few years time.
          Last edited by spleenharvester; 12-31-2013, 10:06 PM.
          Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by stryed View Post
            I believe so...I'm about to order a new PCB/MB.

I will buy more wick and try cleaning, but the copper rift and everything around is cleaned already, so I guess the scratches are the cause of the continuity...

Anyone have last measure, drastic tips on how to possibly fix my copper scratch between pos and neg (along the dark green anti-solder material)? Anything goes!!

Still learned a lot and know what to do if the new NECTOKIN fails.

Will be more careful from now on. Lesson learned.
            Happy NY!
            The space between the pads is very narrow. Its possible that the copper has been burred across the gap. Have a close look with a magnifying glass. If necessary, use a sharp point like a large sewing needle to clear the gap,

Comment

always use multimeter check each soldering between SMD and the (+)track and (-)track, because sometime is not proper solder, not test for ohms but is current first, to check the soldering is sticky on the track. feel better just keep the tokin (-) and put SMD on top of it, bigger space for (-). Depend on your are left handed or right handed, 3 SMD on one side and 1 on other side, incase need to replace again using Desoldering Vacuum Pump "Solder Sucker" to clean our soldering .

Comment

Thanks. This one I use IR.

Remove and fix with IR. Need to scrap the board though, be careful when dealing with acer 4736 series, there are 2 points cannot scrap or the whole board will short circuit. For Toshiba, just clean with solder wick, no scraping needed.

Also try avoid using any intermediate connecting material, like wires etc between the tantalums and board surface. It will alter the ESR values.

If using hotair, wrap the surroundings with alluminium foil. And careful not to fry the board. Can achieve similar Clean Job, just needs longer time. IR is a 3 minutes remove, 3 minute scrap and clean, 3 minutes fix 6pcs tantalums.

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                nice work!!
                uber clean!
                did you use IR or hot air?
                Last edited by jeremykum; 01-04-2014, 06:00 AM.
                Mainly repair laptops, sometimes LCD/LED monitors. Also accepts changing/reballing/reflow BGA job request.

Comment

Hello.
                  For the 3rd time I have a toshiba laptop with the symptoms required for a capacitor OE128 replace.
                  So that's what I did, I replaced it with 4x Tantalum Capacitor 330uf 2.5v SMD LOW ESR .
                  Previous times I had success.
                  This time It did not correct the problem... If I boot with only the battery and then I plug the power, after 2 seconds the laptop shuts down and reboots.
                  If I boot with the power connected sometimes I get into desktop and then it freezes or reboots.
                  Some times when it freezes some screen corruption or artifacts appear on screen, which made me wondering if there is some problem with the graphics card...
                  what should I do next?
                  thanks.

Comment

Try other caps, or try 6x 330uF instead of 4x330uF.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

It worked with just an aditional cap from an broken board.
                      I've scraped the pcb so all could fit, here it is the ugly soldering i did, but it's working fine.
                      thanks all.
                      Attached Files

Comment

any opinion about this, suitable?.
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-330UF-...-/360497964492

Comment

Originally posted by zinksoft.net View Post
                          The ESR is not mentioned and I couldn't easily find data. So, no.

Comment

Hi,

First of all I'll thank all for all the info that I found here.

I have a A300-276 with the NEC Tokin 0E907 (PFAF250E907MCBTE) with the same problem of not booting with AC Adapter.

I searched the info about the NEC 0E907 and found in NEC datasheet this specs:

Rated Voltage: 2,5V / Capacitance: 900uF / DC Leakage Current: 250 u A / ESR (m Ω) at 100kHz : 1.5

Now my doubt is what is the best combination of Capacitors?

Are Tantalum Capacitators better than Aluminum Capacitators?

If the actual uF is 900 is it best to maintain at the 900 or should I go higher to 1200?

The ESR on NEC datasheet says 1.5 - is this 1,5 ( one and a half) mOhm ? I find only with 6 mOhm...

I'm planning in remove the T3400 CPU and putting a T8300 that heats a bit more and consumes a bit more too.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't know much about electronic and to repair the A300 would take me about 130 Dollars with shippings - I'll try do it myself.

Regards to everyone.
                            Last edited by Kkarlov; 01-21-2014, 08:46 PM.

Comment

I saw one report that the 900uF cap actually measured in at 1200 and the 1200uF cap measured in at 1500uF. But that was only one report, meter could have been uncalibrated or similar.

For 0E907 I used 3x330uF on several boards and all still work perfectly. Probably wouldn't hurt to go 4x330uF though.

Also, you need to take into account that ESR is calculated using the parallel resistance equation (1/Rtotal) = (1/R1) + (1/R2) + (1/R3) etc etc. If four caps are used with an ESR of 6mOhm the total ESR is 1.5mOhm.
                              Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
                                The ESR is not mentioned and I couldn't easily find data. So, no.
                                Thank

how about this one. 10pc for USD22 only.
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-SMD-Ta...-/400622413308
                                Last edited by zinksoft.net; 01-23-2014, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Again, the ESR is not mentioned. They look the same as this listing, http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-SMD-Tanta...00622413308%26
                                  This seller claims they are 25 milliohms which is considered to be not low enough. They might work or you might find you are needing to fit 5 rather than the usual 4 as happened to someone lately.

Comment

I ordered a bunch of "2R5TPE330M9 2.5V 330UF" from an Aliexpress seller. These are 9 milliohms. The first time I used them, I fitted only 2 as an experiment. The laptop ran fine over a short test run. So, I am confident that fitting the whole 4 will result in good reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
                                      Again, the ESR is not mentioned. They look the same as this listing, http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-SMD-Tanta...00622413308%26
                                      This seller claims they are 25 milliohms which is considered to be not low enough. They might work or you might find you are needing to fit 5 rather than the usual 4 as happened to someone lately.
                                      i installed this one. 4pc. so far so good with my registry settings.

Comment

Hi everybody, greetings from México , interesting and useful topic,
                                        I have a Toshiba A305- S6825 with the same problem with the battery works all his charge (1hr) but shuts down when plugged , just had tried everything, other charger, other ram, other dc -in power jack , cleaning and thermal paste and nothing ... now I know , thanks to you, who the bad guy is. the NEC TOKIN OE907 , I will be reading to see what is the recommended replacement ....... . however I need your opinion for another solution that gave me the charger for my old, video camera sony, it has a charging dock where you put the battery of video camera and also ( this is the good part ) has a cable current with a false battery you put on the camera precisely at the site of the battery and allows you to use the camera , so as I use the laptop connected generally wanted to use an old battery shell and ac power adapter ac / dc . , well, the charger for my lap top is 3.95 a 19V and the battery is 10.8V and 4000mAh I guess I should use a converter approximate 10.8V , BUT how many AMPS ?
                                        You believe that in this way work?
                                        And how many volts and amps must be the converter?

thank you
                                        Last edited by CEAS; 01-26-2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I just want to know your opinions if my toshiba a300-20t has also a tokin problem.

It can stay on as long as I want using adapter (cannot check on batt because its already faulty) I can use boot cd such as ubcd, hirens and linux. But whenever I try to boot from windows OS it turns off then reboot during loading screen. I already tried reinstalling the OS and also used other good hard drives but still the same.

Memory test all good with 3 passes. I also cleaned the heatsink/fan and reapplied thermal compound. same results. do you think I need to replace tokin? thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X