Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Quick Q, What should I do if in the removal process of the TOKIN, I have exposed copper in the centre? Is it possible to still earth to the - pads? General advice etc would be good. Thank you muchly.

Comment

Originally posted by will2013 View Post
      Quick Q, What should I do if in the removal process of the TOKIN, I have exposed copper in the centre? Is it possible to still earth to the - pads? General advice etc would be good. Thank you muchly.

Check out post#732

that's genius, you won't have to fiddle trying to squeeze them in on an angle to solder to the original tracks.

Bad picture though, so you have 3 tracks, thin sections at either end and a large common track in the middle. So long the tracks are not shorted to one another, looks messy in the photo.

I'd just clean and tin those up and put the caps in

Comment

You might be heading down the same rails as the guy in the this thread, https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40103
        Try to not make the same mistakes.

Comment

just separate side rails to be not shorted with middle rail and u r good to solder 4x 330d capacitors

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
            You might be heading down the same rails as the guy in the this thread, https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40103
            Try to not make the same mistakes.
            Ahah My Thread!

That board is still in my office, on the SCRAP box lol
            Got another one with same NEC/tokin issue for 10$ and fixed it.

That one was just one practical lesson of "how NOT to do it"...
            Hope you read it well and use it for not making the same noob mistakes I did.

Good Luck!

Comment

So you couldn't recover it in the end?

Comment

Sorry for the bad photo, i will try to post clearer. I haven't soldered anything that is how the board was. I understand that there is - pads however if the copper is just an earth then it should still function (?). I haven't applied anything to the board it is just as it was removed (too heavy handed), mistakenly thinking that i had not yet removed the whole of the chip.

Thank you for the tips, ill try to clean it up and see how and if I go/don't go. The thing cost me nothing anyway so good place to learn.

Just reading on general things before I go further as this is my first try at any finer electronics. Once again, Thanks alot for replies!
                Last edited by will2013; 11-21-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

FYI for all in at least this thread. I read this entire thread because I was having the very issue that was in post #1. After reading it, I found on Ebay a source in southern California, about 75 miles from me, that has in the description "Toshiba laptop Repair" describing the caps. So far after installing them, it will boot up on ac power and stay running on ac power.

Very Big Thanks To All!!!

Comment

Thanks to all for the good info in this thread. I have read it from start to finish. I have A205-S7468 with the restart problem. I have removed the OE128 Tokin and have lifted 4 NEX dN8 chips from a salvage board. Before I solder them on my question for the experts is the voltage and ESR okay. I believe they are 330uF but I have not been able to determine the voltage. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Soldered the NEX dN8 chips on the board and reassembled the laptop. Power light, battery light on and fan runs but no post. Chips may not be right or bad. Am ordering new T520V337M2R5ATE009 chips to put on board.

Comment

Hi there,
                        I have repleace nec tokin oe128 with new one orderd from ebay, with old one, laptop (satellite l350) was reebooting while trying to load windows on charger, working fine only on battery. But, with new tokin capacitor it is not booting at all, fan just spinning, no beeps, no nothing else. Before touching old tokin, I have remove CPU, RAM, HDD, disconnect all connectors, scrach down old tokin with very sharp iron solder end, didnt damage MBO, and connect new tokin with wires to MBO (wire length each cca 2cm). If I turn on laptop without CPU, fan spins for 30 sec, then laptop shuts down, with mounted CPU fan just spins, no shutdown, no bios, no nothing...

What is dead, CPU or motherboard? Is it posible that new tokin is faulty? How to check it?
                        How should laptop work (for testing only) if I try to start it without tokin capacitor?

I was very carefull with taking old tokin out, and with soldering new one in, thats why I dont understand why and what is wrong, or what am I missing???

Big thanks for replay, help me figure this out, cose I have no more idea what to do...

Comment

It wont work when it's connected with wires. It is very difficult to properly solder the nec/tokin capacitor. Use tantalum capacitors like everyone else.

Comment

OK, I will find some (as described in previous posts) and give it a try... Thx for advice!

Comment

Also read more of this thread to find the mistakes made by others.

Comment

make important business and use low ESR capasit clean, read instructions carefully.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you guys so much!!!
                                  Instead of connecting tokin with wires, I throw away tokin oe128 bought on ebay for 0,99$, and take few capacitors form old (definitely dead MBO), and I soldered them straigth on MBO (like rievax_60 advised me).
                                  3x220 on one side and 2x330 on other side, put it back together, and.....
                                  IT IS WORKING!!! THANK YOU!

On pictures you can see how I soldered oe128 (still do`nt understand why it did`nt work, and how those less then 1" wires mess it up...), and on other picture is shown how I solderd capacitors, the working solution (this is the worse looking solder joint I ever did, but it is working...)!

Once again, thank for advice!
                                  Attached Files

Comment

The Vcore supply to the CPU is low voltage high current. Very roughly ~1V and upto ~20. The CPU can go from drawing low current to high current in a very short time, less than 1 microsecond. The long wires add too much series inductance to the capacitor which allows the voltage to dip when the current suddenly increases. The CPU then crashes.
                                    For the same reasons, any replacement capacitors need to have a low ESR rating. No one knows how low, the lower the better. I use 2R5TPE330M9, which are 9 milliohms.

Comment

That first line should have looked like this, The Vcore supply to the CPU is low voltage high current. Very roughly ~1V and upto ~20A.

Comment

Originally posted by 1vica View Post
                                        Thank you guys so much!!!
                                        Instead of connecting tokin with wires, I throw away tokin oe128 bought on ebay for 0,99$, and take few capacitors form old (definitely dead MBO), and I soldered them straigth on MBO (like rievax_60 advised me).
                                        3x220 on one side and 2x330 on other side, put it back together, and.....
                                        IT IS WORKING!!! THANK YOU!

On pictures you can see how I soldered oe128 (still do`nt understand why it did`nt work, and how those less then 1" wires mess it up...), and on other picture is shown how I solderd capacitors, the working solution (this is the worse looking solder joint I ever did, but it is working...)!

Once again, thank for advice!
                                        Use a minimum of 60 watt soldering iron,

Comment

A million thanks guys
                                          2 Laptops brought back to life!
                                          Toshiba Satellite L300 which is >>1 year dead given to me by my sister in Canada (due to this shutdown problem)
                                          Acer Aspire 4736Z
                                          At last I've found a site for learners like me.
                                          Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                          X