Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

I just replaced the troublesome with this received today http://www.ebay.com/itm/330953629462...84.m1497.l2649 wait almost 2week. take me 3hours to done the hard work. have take some photo, too bad the image is blur, i use middle size fingernail clippers to broken the top cover of the NEC/TOKIN 0E907 from the top side. then slowly remove the internal solid content until the metal bottom remain. i keep the metal bottom remain tested with multimeter for current conductors, then 3 right and 1 left SMD Tantalum Capacitor 330uf 2.5v. each soldering double check using multimeter to be sure. i also remove the wifi card, modem card and unplug the mic and webcam from the mainboard. i have uploaded some of the tool i use to completed the hard work, Vacuum Cleaners is to suck up all the NEC/TOKIN 0E907 very very small remain, because it fly around the mainboard when you removing the NEC/TOKIN 0E907. have to take double caution about the small electronic components just beside the NEC/TOKIN 0E907 and each soldering need to be fast, don't put the soldering iron too too long on the smd or the board, because i just remove the toshiba L300 top cover. i use 60/40 rosin core, caution don't drop any unnecessary Solder on the mainboard.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zinksoft.net; 12-13-2013, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I got a A305-S6825 with Net/Tokin OE907,
      Laptop restarts every-time you try to load operating system with AC brick plugged in, also hangs if it doesn't restart.
      Works fine on battery.

Don't see any other issues, my guess is this PoS nec/tokin cap.

What should I replace with? ordering from digikey.

Should I get these?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...26382067620546

Comment

Yes that one from digikey is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by whaldsz View Post
          Yes that one from digikey is ok.
          Ok, thank you, should I get 4 or 6 of them?

Comment

4 is enough.

Comment

Hi all. I replaced my NEC128 with this
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-SMD-Tanta...item4d0e1a06e2

And followed you guys for instructions for my first ever time using a solder iron.
              My first solder failed because I tried putting the 4 caps diagonally and that turns out too difficult for my set of skills. I cleaned the middle (-) zone and used that instead to put them parralel.
              Working fine so far!

Thanks again!

Comment

Well I spoke too soon. Restart started again so instead of adding extra caps, I decided to redo it. I also bought a multimeter and I think I've damaged the PCB.
                There is continuity between + and - and having trouble removing the solder in between, I became posessed and started scraping off too hard and ended up touching the copper. situated inbetween + and -....The dark green line seperating one + from - region is now copper!

I'm guessing this is gameover and continuity will never be removed? Ive used 1,6m of desolder braid in between the rift I made unsuccessfully.
                Anyway to fix this? or do I need a new MB?
                Last edited by stryed; 12-29-2013, 07:56 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

The low resistance reading is caused by the CPU being in the socket. The dark green coatiing is lacquer. Sometimes we scrape it off purposely.

Comment

I'm getting 0.7ohms between ++,-+,-- , and multimeter shows continuity between all. With the caps, I get the same result.
                    Here's the massacre...
                    Attached Files

Comment

I cant see much detail. I think I see some small resistors. You must not damage them.
                      Check the resistance again between one of the outer strips and the center square pad while the CPU is removed.

Comment

Last edited by rievax_60; 12-29-2013, 08:50 PM. Reason: double post.

Comment

Ok..will do that tomorrow. I didn't scratch the tiny resistors but might have used a desolder braid to remove a little smudge around one several times (are they easily damaged by heat? I didn't scratch them)

Did I damage anything below the black line? I did scratch the copper pretty deep.
                          Also, is the copper I've reached underneath, from the + or - side? I'm confused...
                          Is the continuity simply caused by some leftover solder somewhere in and around the ravin I've dug? (It's hard to get rid of all the solder inside and around...)

I'm a total noobie and don't really picture PCBs in their 3D, layered form. 2D is new already.

Thanks for the reply, will remove the proc asap.
                          Sorry for the picture quality.
                          Last edited by stryed; 12-29-2013, 10:36 PM. Reason: detail and questions added

Comment

Originally posted by stryed View Post
                            Ok..will do that tomorrow. I didn't scratch the tiny resistors but might have used a desolder braid to remove a little smudge around one several times (are they easily damaged by heat? I didn't scratch them)

Did I damage anything below the black line? I did scratch the copper pretty deep.
                            Also, is the copper I've reached underneath, from the + or - side? I'm confused...
                            Is the continuity simply caused by some leftover solder somewhere in and around the ravin I've dug? (It's hard to get rid of all the solder inside and around...)

I'm a total noobie and don't really picture PCBs in their 3D, layered form. 2D is new already.

Thanks for the reply, will remove the proc asap.
                            Sorry for the picture quality.
                            A better photo is needed for useful detail to be seen.
                            You need to avoid bumping the resistors. They can be easily knocked of the PCB or worse, the PCB might be damaged.
                            The photo in post 225 shows the polarity of the pads under the original capacitor.

Comment

Well it fixed this laptop, although those panny 330 were a bit big, I kind of wonder if they came in smaller packages?

I did not do a very good solder job this time, although caps are on solid.

I don't know what I could have done better, since it was a fight for space and ensuring the pads line up.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I recently switched to SMD tantalums. I place them straight across rather than angled. Two small areas of lacquer need to be scraped for the (-) solder joints.
                                Ill take a photo next time
                                I use these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...699744043.html
                                Last edited by rievax_60; 12-30-2013, 02:41 AM.

Comment

On the safe side, I always use 6pcs tantalums (Panasonic Ultra Low ESR 2.5v,330uF), proven to last more than a year. This isn't a Toshiba board though, but same goes, 6pcs.
                                  Acer Board in picture.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Mainly repair laptops, sometimes LCD/LED monitors. Also accepts changing/reballing/reflow BGA job request.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremykum View Post
                                    On the safe side, I always use 6pcs tantalums (Panasonic Ultra Low ESR 2.5v,330uF), proven to last more than a year. This isn't a Toshiba board though, but same goes, 6pcs.
                                    Acer Board in picture.
                                    nice work!!
                                    uber clean!
                                    did you use IR or hot air?
                                    Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

As above, neat job!
                                      Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                                        nice work!!
                                        uber clean!
                                        did you use IR or hot air?
                                        I am more than slightly curious also.

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
                                          I cant see much detail. I think I see some small resistors. You must not damage them.
                                          Check the resistance again between one of the outer strips and the center square pad while the CPU is removed.
                                          I'm getting 0.6ohms without the cpu again. So with ot without cpu, with or without caps, I always get the same reading and a bridge between pos and neg.

Comment

Working...
                                          X