Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Yes. Because Windows uses the advanced CPU idle states by default. The problem usually manifests itself when the CPU is switching from load to idle. One i had in booted fine into Linux and ran as long as a video was left playing, otherwise it crashed. Would not even boot into Windows.

If you set power saving mode in Linux, it'll crash there as well. So yes, time to take it apart and perform surgery.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thank you very much unique. I already have the caps for replacement. But I'll do it tomorrow because my eyes are a little dizzy now... Need to sleep, been awake for 30 hours. Update you guys soon. thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
        I saw one report that the 900uF cap actually measured in at 1200 and the 1200uF cap measured in at 1500uF. But that was only one report, meter could have been uncalibrated or similar.

For 0E907 I used 3x330uF on several boards and all still work perfectly. Probably wouldn't hurt to go 4x330uF though.

Also, you need to take into account that ESR is calculated using the parallel resistance equation (1/Rtotal) = (1/R1) + (1/R2) + (1/R3) etc etc. If four caps are used with an ESR of 6mOhm the total ESR is 1.5mOhm.
        It's true, OE907 new value is about range at 1200uF. Measured with my Atlas ESR70. OE128 is well above 1500uF new.

Also I am aware that heat stress when fixing this chip above 225 degree celsius does affect the chip, I read somewhere on the datasheet of Altera test method and recommended heat profiling for IR Workstation.
        Mainly repair laptops, sometimes LCD/LED monitors. Also accepts changing/reballing/reflow BGA job request.

Comment

Already fix laptop toshiba a300-20t with tokin replacement. Installed windows 7 with no problems. Thanks unique

Comment

I was going thru this topic.
            I got two questions to ask.
            1. Is it necessary to remove the processor when doing the CAP replacement?
            2. When talking about ESR, what could be the biggest problem you may have to face,
            if Esr not matching (impact of replacing capacitor with high esr) , - system restarting over and over, do not turn on at all or damage the system beyond repair.

help.

Comment

If you installed the capacitors correctly but their ESR is too high, worst that could happen would be the same problem (system crashing).
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by ablacon64 View Post
                Unfortunately, I made this fix some time ago, the notebook is with the client. But I made a (terrible) drawing. Hope it helps.
                Hi,its very nice to read all these guidance.

I have a Toshiba A300 which was working fine without the ac adaptor and after replacing the Tokin cap,now i have only a dark screen,no diplay.i have checked the invertor and found the its not getting the switching voltage.
                Could you please give me your comments on this issue.

Thank you.

Comment

Assuming it works fine on VGAout, check the motherboard's display socket, that all the pins inside are straight. This happened to me twice during repairs - two pins can end up bend together in the same slot, resulting in no backlight.
                  Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Another two done here... Same 4x330uF, salvaged from DV6000 boards which were beyond repair.

Only had time to take pics of one of them.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys,

I've been reading this thread since the first post, and after much debate(with myself). I decided to replace the nec/tokin OE128 with 4 smd caps. Here is the link to them.
                      http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=R1085263

The laptop I'm fixing is the Toshiba satellite A205. A friend of mine was having problems with it. Here is what he told me. That the laptop would freeze whenever the AC adapter is plugged in and that it wont boot when the adapter is plugged in. After much thought i decided to follow the procedure that i saw so many people had success with. So I ordered the 5 330uf caps and waited a month and a half for it to get here. When it finally arrived yesterday, i got to work. I broke the OE128 with a screwdriver and scraped it off. Then I did a horrible job with the soldering and somehow managed to get 4 caps soldered. Now when I press the power button, the laptop does not boot, whether it is plugged in or not. What should I do? Did I do something wrong? If so, what? My only tools are a soldering iron and a screwdriver.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about the pictures. Better resized pictures.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Is that clean enough in picture 7?

Comment

That is too messy and I can see what look like multiple short circuits. Do you know what "short circuit" means?
                            All this can be fixed but I hope you have been careful to not disturb any small surface mount components that are sometimes nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by dupetank View Post
                              Hi guys,

I've been reading this thread since the first post, and after much debate(with myself). I decided to replace the nec/tokin OE128 with 4 smd caps. Here is the link to them.

The laptop I'm fixing is the Toshiba satellite A205. A friend of mine was having problems with it. Here is what he told me. That the laptop would freeze whenever the AC adapter is plugged in and that it wont boot when the adapter is plugged in. After much thought i decided to follow the procedure that i saw so many people had success with. So I ordered the 5 330uf caps and waited a month and a half for it to get here. When it finally arrived yesterday, i got to work. I broke the OE128 with a screwdriver and scraped it off. Then I did a horrible job with the soldering and somehow managed to get 4 caps soldered. Now when I press the power button, the laptop does not boot, whether it is plugged in or not. What should I do? Did I do something wrong? If so, what? My only tools are a soldering iron and a screwdriver.

Sadly those do not look like they are connected, you see those four silver tracks in the center that's where they are suppose to be connected.
                              Inner two are ground and the outer two are where voltage is supplied.

Remove, clean and try again, it's too messy, use less solder, if you have a big iron, purchase a smaller iron, should be the size of sharpie pen with a chisel tip, 25-40w is enough to get the job done, just do 2-5 second contact time then let the component and board cool for a moment and repeat.

Try and clean the tracks of solder using a desoldering braid really good so it's a flat surface then position the components and add a bit of solder to the tip of the iron and apply to the component and track, just enough to hold it in place and allow you to work on the opposite side. Now on the opposite side, you can add enough solder, *NO QUARTER INCH BLOBS!* just a little bit from contact on component to track, basically you want it to look like something from the movie terminator with the liquid metal terminator was just a pool on the ground and it came up like pointed, well just make it look like that from track to component, once you get that side done go back to the other side and add a little bit more and do the same thing as before.

Just be forewarn, it will be difficult

When I did the laptop for my client, it was pain too, I think part of the problem was the oversize components I got and not cleaning the track very well, it was a bit bumpy, so the components didn't sit flat.

Mine is not pretty but it works.

Comment

The "50" at the end of the part number, "TR3D337K6R3C0050", indicates 50 milliohms of ESR.
                                The ESR needs to be fairly low for success. I dont think anyone really knows what the maximum is allowed to be. A figure of about 10 is generally recommended but a recent poster claimed success with 24 milliohm parts.
                                This topic is mentioned a number of times in this tread.

Also, do not solder over any isolated vias. They look like a small drill hole surrounded by light green or orange(copper), surrounded by dark green(no copper)
                                Last edited by rievax_60; 02-16-2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Hi guys,

It looks like you did a sloppy soldering job

To me, the capacitors, except for the bottom right one, look to have their solder shorting to the CPU heatsink bracket.

The one on the bottom right, it seems to have solder bridging the positive and negative of the capacitor (that blob right below it, it looks like it could be soldered on both PCB traces)

Try getting a meter and measuring the resistance across the capacitors. A reading of 0 ohms means there is a short (again, probably in the soldering), and a reading of a few ohms (say, 3-10) is normal, I've measured that across plenty of different CPU's before. Unless it is broken, the CPU DC-DC converter's output, when not connected to anything, should be almost open circuit, (maybe a few K ohms of resistance, but no less) so that shouldn't cause an issue here.
                                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                                    Sadly those do not look like they are connected, you see those four silver tracks in the center that's where they are suppose to be connected.
                                    Inner two are ground and the outer two are where voltage is supplied.

Remove, clean and try again, it's too messy, use less solder, if you have a big iron, purchase a smaller iron, should be the size of sharpie pen with a chisel tip, 25-40w is enough to get the job done, just do 2-5 second contact time then let the component and board cool for a moment and repeat.

Try and clean the tracks of solder using a desoldering braid really good so it's a flat surface then position the components and add a bit of solder to the tip of the iron and apply to the component and track, just enough to hold it in place and allow you to work on the opposite side. Now on the opposite side, you can add enough solder, *NO QUARTER INCH BLOBS!* just a little bit from contact on component to track, basically you want it to look like something from the movie terminator with the liquid metal terminator was just a pool on the ground and it came up like pointed, well just make it look like that from track to component, once you get that side done go back to the other side and add a little bit more and do the same thing as before.

Just be forewarn, it will be difficult

When I did the laptop for my client, it was pain too, I think part of the problem was the oversize components I got and not cleaning the track very well, it was a bit bumpy, so the components didn't sit flat.

Mine is not pretty but it works.
                                    Mad Professor,

What do you mean they are not connected? The solder?

The biggest frustration I had while doing this is getting the cap to stay in one place while I applied solder, it kept moving when I touched it. Which is why it looks so messy.

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                    It looks like you did a sloppy soldering job

To me, the capacitors, except for the bottom right one, look to have their solder shorting to the CPU heatsink bracket.

The one on the bottom right, it seems to have solder bridging the positive and negative of the capacitor (that blob right below it, it looks like it could be soldered on both PCB traces)

Try getting a meter and measuring the resistance across the capacitors. A reading of 0 ohms means there is a short (again, probably in the soldering), and a reading of a few ohms (say, 3-10) is normal, I've measured that across plenty of different CPU's before. Unless it is broken, the CPU DC-DC converter's output, when not connected to anything, should be almost open circuit, (maybe a few K ohms of resistance, but no less) so that shouldn't cause an issue here.
                                    So the solder is not supposed to touch the brackets!! I'm pretty sure that solder is not touching pos and neg on the bottom right cap, I made sure of at least that.

I'm sure you guys have probably already guessed that this is my first soldering job that I've ever done. The fact that its fixable brings a huge sigh of relief from me. I may not be familiar with some of your jargon terms so please make it simple and easy to understand.

I was also hoping that someone could understand the data sheet that comes with the caps, and figure out the ESR of this cap.

I really appreciate the help guys. I attached my understanding of the layout. Also one more question, should I let the iron touch the PCB?
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by dupetank; 02-16-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

That attachment is correct bud. Good luck
                                      Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

hmm... outside is positive, solder from positive side touching cpu bracket. those kind of brackets are usually ground which are part of the screw points, or I maybe wrong... use flux, tweezers and 40-60 watts of soldering iron and then your done

Comment

Mad Professor,

What do you mean they are not connected? The solder?

The biggest frustration I had while doing this is getting the cap to stay in one place while I applied solder, it kept moving when I touched it. Which is why it looks so messy.

So the solder is not supposed to touch the brackets!! I'm pretty sure that solder is not touching pos and neg on the bottom right cap, I made sure of at least that.

I'm sure you guys have probably already guessed that this is my first soldering job that I've ever done. The fact that its fixable brings a huge sigh of relief from me. I may not be familiar with some of your jargon terms so please make it simple and easy to understand.

I was also hoping that someone could understand the data sheet that comes with the caps, and figure out the ESR of this cap.

I really appreciate the help guys. I attached my understanding of the layout. Also one more question, should I let the iron touch the PCB?

RED = obvious short to cpu bracket
                                          YELLOW = Potential short, does not look connected to positive plane/track.
                                          Green = Does not look as if connected to ground, potential short at cpu bracket
                                          Orange = looks poorly connected at ground *negative*

To make it easier, you can remove the green lacquer in the red box to expose the ground plane. Simple scraping and 30 minutes of your time will be enough. Just don't go deep you are just removing the green and Don't go outside of the red box.

Then line up your chips and hold them down, solder the positive side first to make sure its line up then ground.

Here's an example
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by Mad_Professor; 02-17-2014, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X