MacBook Pro USB slots unrecognizable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro USB slots unrecognizable

Hi, I've got a MacBook Pro 13' Early 2011 board 820-2565-A.

The 2x USB ports have 5V power and power my flash drive and USB hard drive (LED's light up/hard drive spins) but they do not get recognized by the OS nor in boot options by holding "Options" key on boot with a confirmed working USB install of Mac OS X.

I have done a full wipe/reinstall of MacOS X (via online recovery reinstall) and done SMC and other resets but the problem still remains, USB devices get power but are not recognized in OS nor boot options.

I have attached the schematics and board view.
    Attached Files

Re: MacBook Pro USB slots unrecognizable

Could it be the data line or a firmware problem?

Comment

webcam works ? both usb doesnt work ?

Comment

Hi
        Yesterday i had the same problem
        it was brocken connected on u4600 Pin 6+10
        after heated it up it works

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
          webcam works ? both usb doesnt work ?
          Yes, webcam works and all USB lines have power just both USB don't get detected.

Comment

Originally posted by mielta View Post
            Hi
            Yesterday i had the same problem
            it was brocken connected on u4600 Pin 6+10
            after heated it up it works
            U4600 is power, did your ports have no power as both of mine have power but there must be an issue somewhere on the data line.

Comment

Yes there was power and an usb stick works but hdd not
              it was an current limit issue

Comment

Here are the measurements from the USB port pins. I'm not sure they look right?
                Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if it's relevent but I have to hold the power button for 1 sec for it to turn on, pressing it won't work.

Comment

Bump

Comment

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...lsusb-for-os-x

Comment

I have found that the 5V USB power dips down to 4.94V when I connect a USB hard drive, where do I check next?
                        Last edited by Johndill; 03-28-2018, 06:53 AM.

Comment

measure resistance to GND on pin 2 and 3 of both the two USB ports when the power is disconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
                            measure resistance to GND on pin 2 and 3 of both the two USB ports when the power is disconnected.
                            It started around 10.00m ohms and went up to 40.00m ohms then went O.L, it then starts dropping when I remove the multimeter probs

Comment

The resistance values seem fine. Now, turn the laptop on and connect a USB mouse to each one of the two USB ports and measure voltage on pin 2 and 3 of them.

Comment

The resistance values seem fine. Now, turn the laptop on and connect a USB mouse to each one of the two USB ports and measure voltage on pin 2 and 3 of them.
                                3. 0.0mV
                                2. 4.87V

3. 1.8mV
                                2. Juggles between 3.178V and 3.180V
                                Attached Files

Comment

Does the laptop recognize the USB mouse or does it show unknown device or does it have no reaction?

Comment

Does the laptop recognize the USB mouse or does it show unknown device or does it have no reaction?
                                    No reaction from the OS.

The only thing that happens is the LED on my flash drive and USB hard drive will light up but that's all that happens.

The red laser on the bottom of the USB laser mouse does not light up.
                                    Last edited by Johndill; 04-03-2018, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Check IR receiver, Bluetooth, and Trackpad. If they work, probably one of the followings happened to this laptop:
                                      1- The USB has software problem in Bios or OS.
                                      2- Both the two USB hubs became partially faulty.
                                      3- L4600, D4600, L4610, D4610, or U4650 are faulty.
                                      To make sure, you can ask the owner about what happened to the laptop.
                                      Last edited by caspian; 04-03-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Check IR receiver, Bluetooth, and Trackpad. If they work, probably one of the followings happened to this laptop:
                                        1- The USB has software problem in Bios or OS.
                                        2- Both the two USB hubs became partially faulty.
                                        3- L4600, D4600, L4610, D4610, or U4650 are faulty.
                                        To make sure, you can ask the owner about what happened to the laptop.
                                        IR receiver... no remote to test with
                                        Bluetooth.... working with bluetooth speaker
                                        Trackpad..... working
                                        The SD card reader is also working.

1. OS has been reinstalled via internet recovery to MacOS X 10.7, I can try to update to high Seirra via internet also if needed. If it's bios, is there a way to reflash it? (Since a USB flash wouldn't work)

2. What do you mean by this one?

3. I can test this one after work today.

I found that I have to hold the power button for 1 to 2 seconds for it to turn on, pressing the power button doesn't work.

Here in Australia we have council garbage days in the year where people throw out things they don't want out on the side walk and this MacBook Pro was thrown away (possibly because of the faulty USB). It was in the rain for a short time before I picked it up but because of the angle it was on it actually didn't get water in it, I disassembled at home to find it all perfectly dry inside, no HDD, the USB ports and optical drive didn't work (probably be reason for it being thrown away) optical drive didn't read discs, I replaced the optical drive from another dead MacBook pro I have and now it reads discs, everything seems to be functional except both USB ports.

I recently got an identical model motherboard from my work with a water damaged LCD connector and a few other little areas for component salvage for my MacBook Pro but I found that it still runs enough for me to connect an external display and boot to the boot options menu where I can connect a USB install and see it appear in the list so the USB ports on it work and I can measure correct voltages for working ports, I'll post the working USB voltages soon.
                                        Last edited by Johndill; 04-03-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X