Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook 13" A1502 (late 2013) weird issue

Hello,
    I have a very strange issue on Macbook Pro Retina 13" (MacBookPro11,1), let me describe the issue :

* When I press the start button, the fan is starting but I have to wait 17 seconds before I hear the chime sound ! After that I see the Apple on the screen with the progress bar and it stall at around half of the progress bar ... But at this point I can tune the keyboard backlight level using keyboard !
    * I did try to start an USB install of Yosemite (known good as I use it on other Macbooks with no issue including a mid 2014 15" macbook pro) and it's also blocking on the progress bar ...

* Now the most weird part is that I did install bootcamp on the SSD (using another macbook pro) and I did install Windows 8.1 on this strange Macbook and Windows is working with no issue at all (with all drivers for all hardware installed). I did also start an usb live Ubuntu and there is no issue with it either ...

* The verbose mode is not showing any strange error (for me) but it's blocked at one point (it shall finish by showing the apple and progress bar but it's not quitting the text screen).

I know that this Mac was liquid spilled at keyboard level, but I don't know is logic board was touched by liquid (none of the liquid indicators turned to red), but starting the macbook with keyboard unplugged makes no difference ...

Now what I did try :
    - Of course I tried SMC/PRAM reset with no change ...
    - Reinstall MacOS 10.10 (Yosemite) but install disk is not working on this MacBook Pro
    - In single-mode user I tried to for EFI update with latest EFI firmware ( https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1704?locale=en_US ) by using the command line in this guide : http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...to-version-1-6 but when I restart the macbook I can't see the EFI update progress bar that I've seen on some other Macbook when doing this (not sure if it's normal as I've not done any EFI update on retina macbook before), but it make no difference as you guess ...

Now I'm stuck ... As the problem seems to be at start level, I think it could be an EFI chip issue, but would it start if it was the case ? Is there any kind of security chip that could fail and is needed by MacOS to start ? This could explain why other OS are working with no issue ...

Any idea is welcome !
    Thanks

Re: Macbook 13" A1502 (late 2013) weird issue

open the back of macbook and inspect the mainboard for corrosion

Comment

Already done, I've not seen anything like corrosion ! I've removed the whole logic board to inspect it already ... Anyway it's highly possible that it has been cleaned already as it has been removed before I did remove it (but again I'm not sure if liquid did reach the logic board as all liquid snitches are white) ...
      Last edited by sylver; 06-24-2015, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Nobody has an idea of what hardware could cause a long time before the ring song and would prevent MacOS (but not other OS) to boot ?
        Is it possible that it's an EFI chip issue ?

Comment

run asd (apple system diagnostic) and see if it report something bad.

Comment

I need ASD 3S158 for MBPr late 2013 but I can't find it (I managed to get 3S159 but it's not compatible with this hw).
            Does anyone know were I could find it ?
            Last edited by sylver; 06-27-2015, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Actually 3S158 had issues and it seems that ASD 3S162 is the correct one now !

Comment

Ok I managed to find ASD 3S158 and it fails at the very beginning :

Chipset (test 1) - Management Engine Presence Test
                -Verifies the presence of the Management Engine.
                ERROR - Not Found
                - T E S T F A I L E D -

What is this Management Engine ?
                This is in the section "Chipset" just below SMC (which seems to be ok)

If I bypass this Chipset test, then some other are fails at
                Sensor - Current (IC0R) -- CPU High (CPU, VCCIO)(test 1)- Sensor Reads Within Operating Range
                -Check to ensure that sensor reads within operating range.
                ERROR - Sensor is reading below the low limit

Some other tests are failing the same way :
                - Sensor - Current (IC2C) -- CPU Core
                - Sensor - Current (ISDC) -- SSD 3.3V
                - Sensor - Voltage (VC0C) -- CPU V Core
                - Sensor - Voltage (VP0R) -- PBus

Comment

Ok I managed to solve my issue by reflashing the EFI using a new pkg available from Apple (I had to use command line to install the pkg).
                  I still have issues regarding some voltages and current sensors, but with schematics, I know where to look now

Comment

Here
                    techman1025
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by techman1025 View Post
                        Here
                        techman1025
                        My younger brother drained coke into the machine and I am having a similar problem, LOL.

The PCB .brd file seems unreadable by Allegra Physical Viewer and Eagle PCB. I tried to hex dump the file but it's pretty much in an unreadable binary format.

Which PCB viewer are you using to view it? Thanks for the upload though

Comment

Never mind. I tried "LANDREX TEST LINK ver:2.2" and it worked

Comment

I have one. Same issue after rewriting the EFI chip.
                            I can't find a good EFI file.

Comment

Oddly I've got the same issue, I'm pleased to have stumbled across this post.
                              Did you run the efi update from the command line at cmd + S ok bootup?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X