ASUS Laptop G71Gx Smoke (short) at Power Plug Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS Laptop G71Gx Smoke (short) at Power Plug Input

Starting a new thread for this after having posted on an older thread that was similar problem.

Asus Republic of Gamers Laptop having - smoke coming out when I plug in the power supply - comes out immediately. I have seen this issue is extremely common by doing google searches.

Took apart laptop and have mb to work with. Tested across +/- without removing power plug from board and verified it is shorted. Ordered a kit for desoldering waiting for that to arrive (early next week maybe Oct 2). Then will remove power plug and test both board at the pin connection points and the power plug itself to see which one is shorted. So...waiting for the kit to move forward will post results and seek advice for next steps. I did order the power plug to mount a new one since this one is looking a little frazzled even if it's not the problem.
    Attached Files

Re: ASUS Laptop G71Gx Smoke (short) at Power Plug Input

This was the similar thread fyi: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...r+supply+smoke

Comment

Ok, finally was able to remove the power plug to test separately. The short is definitely on the board, not the plug itself. Next steps?
      Thanks

Comment

after removed power plug, if there is a short-circuit again? Like, line 19v short....

Comment

Originally posted by billpool View Post
          Ok, finally was able to remove the power plug to test separately. The short is definitely on the board, not the plug itself. Next steps?
          Thanks
          As to my experiences on burnt laptop boards you will have no chance to remove that short because of multiple layers, if you use a magnifier to check the burnt zone you will see what I mean.

Comment

De-solder all components that are in physical contact with terminal input.
            Good luck.

Comment

please post pictures top and bottom of power section and if someone got schematic of this pls post too. thanks

Comment

Working...
              X