X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pavilion dv5 White Screen problem

Pavilion dv5 White Screen and caps lock flashing

Re: Pavilion dv5 White Screen problem

Caps lock flashing is a video problem. I had one a while back and ended up replacing the motherboard. Spent way too much time trying to fix that one. You can always try and reflow the GPU and / or built on video ram.

Comment

the white screen is lcd problem and still flashing i hav other dv5 back screen and caps lock flashing i try to reflow the bga chip but no lock
      problem i think the video gpu is dead

Comment

It most likely is the GPU. I have had the same issue with a white screen on a DV5 with the AMD GPU and a reflow worked. I have also had no video with the caps lock flashing caused by a bad AMD processor. Be sure to test with a compatible CPU. Also make sure that you test the system on an external monitor with the LCD cable disconnected from the mainboard, to rule out a shorted cable.

Comment

DVx series shouldn't have GPU / South Bridge problems. Most common problems in these are Texas Instruments power management IC's. Believe me, I've tried GPU reflows that normally work on the older DVxxxx series all the time but have had zero luck on these new ones. That being said, the caps lock flashing is definitely an HP code for video malfunction. Like I said earlier - best not waste your time on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by mattbrad2 View Post
            DVx series shouldn't have GPU / South Bridge problems. Most common problems in these are Texas Instruments power management IC's. Believe me, I've tried GPU reflows that normally work on the older DVxxxx series all the time but have had zero luck on these new ones. That being said, the caps lock flashing is definitely an HP code for video malfunction. Like I said earlier - best not waste your time on this one.
            If you figure the problem out is it really a waste of time from this thread I have gotten 2 things to look for or at on my Acer 5100 see if there are any similar Texas Instruments power management IC's that are bad and check to see if the video ram on board needs reflow dunno exact specifics...

I read somewhere that a bad connection on the back of your screen the cabling that actually connects to the to of the monitor on the back is plugged in crooked or not all the way can cause issues...

Keep at it let us know how your progress is coming this seems like a very common symptom amongst laptops not brand specific so if we iron this one out it would be a major feat!
            Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Comment

Working...
            X