Palit GTX 680 2GB - Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palit GTX 680 2GB - Failure

Hi guys - hope you are all safe and well.

I have a poorly Mac-flashed Palit GTX 680. Let me explain whats wrong...

Was using machine as normal, fans went bonkers, then the screen glitched. I powered the Mac off, then on. The EFI boot screen came on as normal, but when the progress bar reached what I assumed to be the driver loading stage, (or when the Mac is trying to communicate with the card) the glitches reappeared, and the screen froze - see attached pic...

I was able to get to a desktop yesterday, when I booted from a Win 10 Boot Camp drive, with no drivers loaded. I also managed to successfully dump the ROM using nvflash. I was going to attempt to flash the ROM again to see if that sorted it, BUT the glitches appeared again unfortunately, before I could. Damn.

I've been following Richard at LER for tips - wonderful, WONDERFUL video content, and with that, I'm sure this card can be repaired.

I want to say that it seems like a VRAM failure, due to the fact I can see the EFI screen perfectly...although with my limited GPU knowledge, I could be wrong, and way off. Hopefully someone experienced, can advise what my next move should be. I'm no stranger to a rework station and a tube of flux, so component replacement is no trouble.

I've removed the casing, performed a visual inspection and it loos fine. Today I'll check for power rail shorts, check the lanes etc...and I'll post results.

Thanks in advance!

Andy.
    Attached Files

Re: Palit GTX 680 2GB - Failure

Sounds like a VRAM issue. Normally you would want to run MATs, the nVidia VRAM test application, this should identify the faulty module.

No clue if that would work on a Mac. It is normally on a usb flash drive and is a Linux based program run on a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by manuforti1314 View Post
      Sounds like a VRAM issue. Normally you would want to run MATs, the nVidia VRAM test application, this should identify the faulty module.

No clue if that would work on a Mac. It is normally on a usb flash drive and is a Linux based program run on a PC.
      I'm gonna give that a try too buddy...see what occurs...

Comment

That's a fermi card and has the same bumpgate issue the older Nvidia cards had because they were being cheap. The solder balls inside the die and substrate might have degraded to the point where your gpu core is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by princeatom View Post
          That's a fermi card
          Nope. It's a Kepler card, not a Fermi one (GPU die reads GK104...) and it was working perfectly in my Mac Pro prior to the failure.

Also, it can't be the GPU (as far as I know at the moment), as it boots to the EFI, and is stable. It only craps out after the Mac (or Windows PC) tries to load drivers. Surely if the GPU had failed, or had an issue, the EFI wouldn't display? I could most probably be wrong, though, with my limited Graphics Card knowledge. Ha!

I think the Mac or PC is trying to read and write data to the VRAM, and can't. I have run MATS, and I'm getting a load of Write errors across all VRAM blocks (A to D), but strangely, no Read errors. Maybe that's a MATS thing. If I can work out how to save the report.txt, I'll post it here, and folks can peruse if they wish.

I'm still holding out for a VRAM issue (Write Enable line or Chip Select line fault), or a VRAM controller issue, or even power to the VRAM/VRAM Controller, perhaps, after looking at the MATS results...let's see what happens after further investigation...

Stay tuned!

Comment

• прямо
            прямо commented
            Editing a comment
            You should run the MATS DOS version to test this card on a PC desktop.

And you can disable the faulty VRAM channels by using a simple Windows 64 bit app (Google Old nVidia Artifacts)

Your card will be up and running again with a reduced performance depending how many channels were disabled.

Originally posted by manuforti1314 View Post

Just to let you know that it does indeed run on a Mac. Had to make up a drive (as per video from Richard at LER), and I booted firstly from a USB-SATA adapter on my MacBook Pro (with NVIDIA GT650), but in the Mac Pro I had to actually sit the drive in the SATA headers on the logic board, so it would detect the Windows partition and boot from it.

There's VRAM errors across the board, unfortunately.

Incidentally - I see you're in Glasgow too. Do you do any BGA rework?

Cheers!

Andy.

Comment

The likelihood of all the ram chips being bad is low. All those write errors across the board usually indicates that the memory controller inside the gpu die crapped out. It's most likely half dead as you can still get to efi. I've never been able to fix a gpu with that symptom and it was a gtx480. The only other thing that could cause it is a bad or corrupted bios flash.
            Last edited by princeatom; 03-31-2022, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by princeatom View Post
              The likelihood of all the ram chips being bad is low. All those write errors across the board usually indicates that the memory controller inside the gpu die crapped out. It's most likely half dead as you can still get to efi. I've never been able to fix a gpu with that symptom and it was a gtx480. The only other thing that could cause it is a bad or corrupted bios flash.
              Amazing! Thank you for your help princeatom. Much appreciated. I'll try a reflash first, and if that doesn't fix it, then i'll see if I can get someone to replace the GPU...hopefully...

Comment

Originally posted by JFunc View Post
                Just to let you know that it does indeed run on a Mac. Had to make up a drive (as per video from Richard at LER), and I booted firstly from a USB-SATA adapter on my MacBook Pro (with NVIDIA GT650), but in the Mac Pro I had to actually sit the drive in the SATA headers on the logic board, so it would detect the Windows partition and boot from it.

There's VRAM errors across the board, unfortunately.

Incidentally - I see you're in Glasgow too. Do you do any BGA rework?

Cheers!

Andy.
                I am only learning/practicing on repairing faulty cards I buy off eBay. I would not be able to replace a GPU. Can replace BIOS chips though, usually pretty straighforward.

Comment

What do you mean exactly by "fans went bonkers"?

Comment

JFunc , I also have a Palit GTX 680 2GB in my MacPro 2009, but I'm receiving this error while starting: please power down and connect the PCIe power cable(s) for this graphic card - Using a 2x 6PIN mini PCIe to an 8 PIN Cable for the GC. Is this wrong? Which cable do you use? Thanks in advance. Kai

Comment

Working...
                    X