Abit AN7 Badcaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abit AN7 Badcaps

Hi, I have a Abit AN7 with badcaps. I am not sure if I should do a full recap or just recap the bulging and the same make/series as the bulging ones or as well recap the 1000uf and above?

One beside IDE2 port (6.3v 3300uF KZG) and another beside floppy port (6.3v 2200uF KZG).

One Bulging beside cpu. (6.3v 3300uF KZG)

Not sure if its a badcap or its been knocked?

Its a Rubycon YXG.

Caps on Motherboard
    Volts uF
    6.3 3300 KZG
    6.3 2200 KZG
    6.3 1000 TMZ
    6.3 1800 MBZ RUBY
    25 100 YXG RUBY
    16 1200 ZL RUBY

Thankyou

djrock
    Attached Files

Re: Abit AN7 Badcaps

Replace all but the rubycons. Chemi-con KZG, KZJ and TM_ series are unreliable and will often fail with no visible signs.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

To add to that, replace them with something other than KZG, which will just fail again. I'm not sure what all is available in the UK, perhaps someone else can chime in with that info.

As for the crooked Rubycon, it was either knocked or soldered in crooked from the factory. If it was knocked, replace it. If it was soldered in crooked, there's no cause for concern.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        Replace all but the rubycons. Chemi-con KZG, KZJ and TM_ series are unreliable and will often fail with no visible signs.
        I was thinking about doing that after reading about them on here, which didn't give me any faith in them. But thought I would check first.

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
        To add to that, replace them with something other than KZG, which will just fail again. I'm not sure what all is available in the UK, perhaps someone else can chime in with that info.

As for the crooked Rubycon, it was either knocked or soldered in crooked from the factory. If it was knocked, replace it. If it was soldered in crooked, there's no cause for concern.
        Unless I was really stuck I wouldn't be wasting money buying more KZG. Where the rubycon is, its in a place where i think it would be hard to knock. One way it could of been knock is changing a jumper for I think keeping the power to usb ports when system is off. I could change it to be safe.

The caps I can get is Rubycon ZL and Panasonic FC/FM.

Thankyou

Comment

If you have to choose between Ruby ZL, Panny FC and Panny FM the right choice is Panny FM. That said Nichicon HM or HN will be better choice overall.

Comment

Originally posted by djrock View Post
            The caps I can get is Rubycon ZL and Panasonic FC/FM.
            All of those are lower grade than KZG. [And KZG is lower grade than KZJ.]
            FM are almost rated as good as KZG but not quite.
            KZG = MBZ, HM, WG, FJ, GD, and NRSK

These are one grade better than KZG:
            KZJ, HN, MCZ, GC

There is a member here named Big Pope.
            He sells Samxon out of Hong Kong. [Buys direct.]
            Send him a PM.
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/member.php?u=682

TMZ are a special order cap so no data sheets.
            Direct measurement puts them between KZG and KZJ.
            For what they get used for the same replacements as stated for KZG should be fine.
            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 07-22-2011, 07:55 PM.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
              All of those are lower grade than KZG. [And KZG is lower grade than KZJ.]
              FM are almost rated as good as KZG but not quite.
              KZG = MBZ, HM, WG, FJ, GD, and NRSK

These are one grade better than KZG:
              KZJ, HN, MCZ, GC

There is a member here named Big Pope.
              He sells Samxon out of Hong Kong. [Buys direct.]
              Send him a PM.
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/member.php?u=682

TMZ are a special order cap so no data sheets.
              Direct measurement puts them between KZG and KZJ.
              For what they get used for the same replacements as stated for KZG should be fine.
              OK, Would Nichicon PW be any good as a replacement of KZG? I want to try and avoid buying from outside of the UK. Since I would need to check what duty and or vat I would possibly have to pay.

Thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by djrock View Post
                OK, Would Nichicon PW be any good as a replacement of KZG? I want to try and avoid buying from outside of the UK. Since I would need to check what duty and or vat I would possibly have to pay.

Thankyou
                No, PW are equivalent to Panasonic FC and aren't good enough spec-wise. I haven't been able to find anything comparable to KZG specs available in the UK. Then again, I haven't looked very hard, just a few brief glances to help out forum members.

Panasonic FM is the closest you've listed so far.
                Last edited by yyonline; 07-24-2011, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I will toss in this:

whatever you do, do not get your caps from ebay!

there is maybe one supposedly good seller... the rest are fakes...

I second the suggestion to see big pope.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

PW are -FAR- lesser grade than KZG.

When comparing cap grades go by the can size.
                    For example look at ripple & ESR for an 8x20mm KZG and then for an 8x20mm PW.
                    Look at the same for 10x20mm or any other can size present in both series.
                    -
                    WITHIN A SERIES all with the same can size will have the same ripple and ESR.
                    ESR and ripple are NOT related to uF and/or volts,,, just to the can size.

I attached KZG data sheet because they are no longer in production and it may be hard to find now.
                    Attached Files

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Hi all,

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                      No, PW are equivalent to Panasonic FC and aren't good enough spec-wise. I haven't been able to find anything comparable to KZG specs available in the UK. Then again, I haven't looked very hard, just a few brief glances to help out forum members.

Panasonic FM is the closest you've listed so far.
                      The places I have been looking at are rs components and Farnell. I now see why the panny FM (0.018 2,470) and KZG (0.012 2,800) are quite close.

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      I will toss in this:

whatever you do, do not get your caps from ebay!

there is maybe one supposedly good seller... the rest are fakes...

I second the suggestion to see big pope.
                      I wouldn't buy them off ebay after reading on here about fake caps.

PW are -FAR- lesser grade than KZG.

When comparing cap grades go by the can size.
                      For example look at ripple & ESR for an 8x20mm KZG and then for an 8x20mm PW.
                      Look at the same for 10x20mm or any other can size present in both series.
                      -
                      WITHIN A SERIES all with the same can size will have the same ripple and ESR.
                      ESR and ripple are NOT related to uF and/or volts,,, just to the can size.

I attached KZG data sheet because they are no longer in production and it may be hard to find now.
                      I think I get it now, I have been looking at the datasheets but could not find esr which I take it that is impedance?

Looks like it could be badcaps or Big Pope for the caps.

Thankyou

Comment

At 100kHz, ESR and Impedance are effectively equal.
                        -
                        100kHz is the normal frequency used in data sheets for low ESR caps.
                        Once in a while you will see a data sheet that uses another frequency but there should be a conversion factor somewhere in the data sheet that will tell you what it is at 100kHz.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

You can use the Panasonic FM's if you go up a notch or two with their voltage rating. Many cheap motherboard and PSU manufacturers do that to get better ripple current and ESR ratings for a given capacitance. This is because, like PCBONEZ said, for a given series, the ESR and ripple depend on the can size. If you have a 1000uF Panasonic FM capacitor, for example, the 16v version will have much better ESR and ripple specs than the 6.3v one.
                          So that's also one possible way to do it, if you run out of options.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            You can use the Panasonic FM's if you go up a notch or two with their voltage rating. Many cheap motherboard and PSU manufacturers do that to get better ripple current and ESR ratings for a given capacitance. This is because, like PCBONEZ said, for a given series, the ESR and ripple depend on the can size. If you have a 1000uF Panasonic FM capacitor, for example, the 16v version will have much better ESR and ripple specs than the 6.3v one.
                            So that's also one possible way to do it, if you run out of options.
                            That's not exactly how it works. [But close.]
                            - Higher voltage caps tend to have a larger can size.
                            It's the larger can that gives them better specs, not the voltage.
                            What the cheap-out mobo builders were doing was using cheaper grade & cheaper $$ caps with big-a** cans to get ESR low enough.
                            The nice thing about that is there's a lot of room to mount whatever size cap you want.
                            Copying that trick doesn't always work out so well trying to replace 'normal size' caps with lower grade 'good caps' that have large cans. The mounting area can easily be too small.
                            If you can find the same uF in a bigger can with the same or better [than original] ESR and Ripple you might get FM to work out but the FM may have problems fitting in the same space as the old cap.
                            Also, using caps with a lower Ripple rating than the original risks overheating the cap internals. They may not last long at all.
                            - It's REALLY just easier [and safer] to be patient get the correct caps.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

That's not exactly how it works. [But close.]
                              - Higher voltage caps tend to have a larger can size.
                              It's the larger can that gives them better specs, not the voltage.
                              Yes, that's what I was trying to get at. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Working...
                              X