Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crucial MX500 2TB

Hello badcaps community,

My Crucial MX500 2.5" SSD died suddenly. It's not recognized in bios, disk manager or even with a USB adapter.
    I gently unmounted the disk and I noticed 2 discolored inductors:

Above a new one found on the internet and below it's my SSD, we can notice the 2 discolored inductors circled in red

I also found this video on youtube where the technician works exactly on the same board revision (23-A1). He also has an inductors in bad shape but it seems that he needed to remove a faulty capacitors to make the disk recognized again.

I'm not as equipped as him but I have a multimeter. I used it in continuity mode to find shorted capacitors using ground from the sata 15 pin connector (4th pin from the left). I found those circled in red:

The problem is these capacitors are really small and I'm not equipped to desolder and resolder them to check which one is responsible for the short. I just have a T12 KSGER iron soldering station.

Also I don't have a thermal camera nor a power supply to inject voltage on the board and find a heat spot as the technician did in the video. I tried to plug in to my USB adapter but I didn't feel any heat spot with my fingers.

I would be very grateful for your help.

Re: Crucial MX500 2TB

How old is the drive?

I've bought the exact same drive off Amazon the other day, and died within minutes of me using it. I formatted and attempted to copy some data, then locked up. I have tried multiple computers and it didn't detect the drive. Got it replaced and guess what? The replacement did the same thing!

Will have to get a refund, not going to bother trying a 3rd one.

Got a Samsung EVO instead (which I should've done from the start) - no problems.

Must be a bad batch going around atm.

Comment

Re: Crucial MX500 2TB

Originally posted by Dreamcazman View Post
      How old is the drive?
      I bought the drive in November 2021 and solved the issue by desoldering the shorted cap using this video as a guide.

Comment

Working...
      X