Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell 2005FPW works for hours, but on hot re-boot fails...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 2005FPW works for hours, but on hot re-boot fails...

what are the digikey item numbers for these two caps then? I'll order them!. thanks.

Comment

1) You never did give a detailed description of what is wrong with your monitor.

2) Most members here will suggest replacing all the electrolytic capacitors on the power/inverter board except the largest capacitor which rarely, but not never, fails..

Follow PlainBill's instructions to order either Panasonic FR, FM, or FC (in that order of preference) at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2

If you are unsure if you have the correct replacements for your caps, list the old parts and the new parts like the following ...

C100 - old Capxon 470uF 25V 10x20mm, new Panasonic FR 470uF 25V 10x20mm <insert digikey URL for part number>
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm replacing C103 and C107 on my 2005FPW power supply board.

the old "Sam Young" (KMG 47uF 25v) and (KMG 1uF 50v)

I'm having the same problem as the other guy did with it heating up, I unplug the power from the wall wait 15 minutes plug back in and monitor works. After monitor is on for a while and it goes into sleep mode or it's turned off, when turning it back on through the power button all the buttons blink with no picture once every couple of seconds, so I am assuming it's the same repair that KINGOFCOINS did, because none of my other caps are visibly bad. Nothing looks bad on the video board either so I am going with that he did and I'm going to try and replace C103 and C107 to see if this does the trick.

Also when clicking on the selections I need nothing comes up in stock, so why can't I buy these at Radio Shack if they are the same Micro Ferrads and voltage, I don't understand?
        Last edited by 995sunglasses; 03-23-2011, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofcoins View Post
          Quiz answer...You knew the cap type because ceramic caps have a plain (flat chip) symbol thus,... -l l- while electrolytics have a curve (in a can) symbol as -) l-....also because I have a good camera and you have good intuitive skills !
          Actually -l l- indicates any ole kind of cap and -) l- indicates a polarized cap [and the polarity].
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by 995sunglasses View Post
            I'm replacing C103 and C107 on my 2005FPW power supply board.

the old "Sam Young" (KMG 47uF 25v) and (KMG 1uF 50v)

Also when clicking on the selections I need nothing comes up in stock, so why can't I buy these at Radio Shack if they are the same Micro Ferrads and voltage, I don't understand?
            You may not be searching correctly.

Panasonic FR 47uF 25V

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P14411-ND

Panasonic FC 1uF 50V

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10312-ND

There is more to caps than just uF and V. There is ESR (ohms), temp (85C, 105C, 125C), ripple, endurance lifetime. PCBONEZ explains all of these parameters at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...30&postcount=7

I will repeat. RadioShack does not sell suitable capacitors for this type of application (SMPS).
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

if the only thing on the cap is the uf and the voltage then how do you get the other information. I assume my caps are around 6mm x 8mm they are 105C I know that... this information should already be in this thread for the 2005FPW Dell Power Supply. I links you gave me above should work fine. Thanks.

Comment

if the only thing on the cap is the uf and the voltage then how do you get the other information.
                Samyoung is the manufacturer. KMG is the series. You lookup the datasheet using your favourite search engine by entering

samyoung kmg datasheet

The datasheet will tell you everything regarding all the parameters. The digikey website links I provided all have links to the Panasonic FR datasheet.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

this information should already be in this thread for the 2005FPW Dell Power Supply.
                  Manufacturers can and have changed board revisions or totally different boards, but kept the same lcd model number.

We encourage people to check their own boards because you are GUARANTEED to get the correct parts/values if you look at your board for the capacitor values.

Most of the active forum members seem to have this philosophy.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day.
                  Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

KMG are out of production and not listed at Sam Young anymore.
                    Sam Young was formerly affiliated with Chemi-con and because of that when their series names are the same so are the specs.
                    Chemi-con still has the KMG datasheet.

KMG are not low esr,
                    The 47uF 25v,, ripple = 25 mA @120Hz
                    The 1uF 50v,, ripple = 13 mA @120Hz
                    ... however they are 105°C

It would be odd if you found anything other than 85°C caps at rack-shack.
                    Even more unusual to find a low ESR cap.

Although the KMG are not low ESR the 47uF probably should have been.
                    Also YOU DO NOT WANT 85°C CAPS in an SMPS or on a motherboard.

If you are going to go against retiredcaps' advice and use radio shack caps then you might as well open up an account because you'll be back in the foreseeable future.
                    Attached Files

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      Manufacturers can and have changed board revisions or totally different boards, but kept the same lcd model number.
                      TRUE
                      I bought two same make & model LCD screens from the same place on the same day in the same visit.

Few years later when I had to open them up .... [wife busted the screen on one and the other blew the inverter so I was going to swap parts to get one working]
                      ... every single PCB in them was completely different.
                      Even the LCD panels were different.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by kingofcoins View Post
                        I salvaged some small caps from a computer PSU to try as temps...yes,yes you folks have got me interested enough in these repairs that I will need to buy an ESR meter.
                        In the meantime does anyone want to hazard a guess which 2 caps I could try to replace my questionable 1uf x 50v and a 47uf x 25v, the C107 and C103 caps?

My candidates...all are on the bad list, apparently mfg about 2003...

Jun Fu HK 1uf x 50v
                        G-Luxon SM 2.2uf x 50v
                        Canicon TC 10uf x 50v
                        Capxon KM 22uf x 50v
                        YEC 85*C 47uf x 25v
                        Canicon TC 47uf x 50v
                        I have a spare 2005FPW if anyone wants to buy it. The two caps need replacing at c103 and c107 the ground trace is burned off the board on c103 (I think it's the ground side, its the solder spot that's buy itself) lol yes I am new to this, I don't know what to do with the old LCD but I just bought a new 20". I'll sell this one for spare parts on here if anyone wants to buy it. PM me an offer. The original problem with it was heating up and not coming back on once shut off until cooled. I would have to disconnect it from the wall and plug it in again after 15 minutes to get it working.
                        Last edited by 995sunglasses; 03-26-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Which one I use 1000uF 16V or 1000uF 25V (C201 thru C205)

Comment

Hey guys. Thank you so much for your posts. I have the same monitor (Dell 2005fpw) that had both the rolling/flickering screen and the on/off on reboot problems at the same time. I didnt realize they were separate problems until I found this post. I have fixed the rolling/flickering and will be replacing caps C103 and C107 to fix the on/off problem tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

This may help:
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...klight%20lamp/
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggy723 View Post
                                Hey guys. Thank you so much for your posts. I have the same monitor (Dell 2005fpw) that had both the rolling/flickering screen and the on/off on reboot problems at the same time. I didnt realize they were separate problems until I found this post. I have fixed the rolling/flickering and will be replacing caps C103 and C107 to fix the on/off problem tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help!
                                i was just wondering if the fix worked. i have the same issue with the power/1 lights flashing and the tube flickering every second or so. for a while if it rested i could plug it back in and there was a chance of working (and it would whine for about 5 min once it worked) but it seems those days are behind me and i'm ready to fix it.
                                i have everything apart; just waiting to place the order with digi-key. also, what did you replace to fix the rolling issue? i don't have this issue, but while i am going through all the steps i might as well do it.

Comment

Here's the problem I had with my Dell 2005FPW (solved):

Initially the monitor began making a high pitch noise for a minute or so coming out of stand-by. After a couple of weeks it got worse -- in addition to the noise it would blink power-led a few times before finally starting as if it couldn't get stable power.

I've tested all caps on the power board for capacitance, leakage and ESR. The only 3 caps that tested high ESR were the following:

c103 - 47mf 25v
                                  c107 - 1mf 50v <-- this one had very high ESR, outside the range of my meter (Dick Smith model)
                                  c208 - - 47mf 25v

The first two are the ones you've circled in blue on your photo. The last one is the one next to the white connector in the upper left corner (right above the blue-circled ones).

I've replaced these with whatever similar caps I had sitting around. In the future I might order proper caps and redo the repair, but I didn't want to keep the monitor torn apart with the parts all over the place.
                                  For now the problem is fixed. Thank you for posting the info

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                  There are two caps circled in blue. One of them provides stable power for the SMPS controller at startup, the other while it is operating. NOW, this is somewhat of a long shot, but if either of them is bad, the power supply won't come up.

There are two approaches. One is to replace these caps and see if that fixes the problem.

The other is to check if the power supply comes up. If you look at the bottom of the board you will see that the pins for the connector to the logic board has the function of each pin labeled. With the monitor in 'won't restart' condition, check the voltages from the 12V and 5V pins to Gnd. If these are the same in both working and won't work states, the problem is on the logic card, which is a much more difficult matter.

PlainBill

Comment

Hallo
                                    I have the same problem with Dell u2410,it works for hours, but on hot re-boot through the power button it does not start ,the button do not light up ,nothing at all, if I unplug the power cord fore about 5-10 minutes then press the power button it goes on, and every thing is ok. I looked at the caps it seems ok no changes in shape, or leaks ,or any color changes.
                                    pleas help
                                    Thank you

Comment

tasin, my caps looked fine physically (no bulging, leaks, color changes, or heat-shrink changes), but had high ESR.

Comment

I have similar problem like 995sunglasses the problem with it is heating up and not coming back on(when I press the power button) once shut off until cooled. I must disconnect it from the wall and plug it in again after 15 minutes to get it working. there is no visibly changes in the logic and power board caps, I checked them carefully.
                                        any idea how to solve this problem,
                                        Thank you.

Comment

How did you check the caps?

Comment

Working...
                                          X