w2346t-bf LCD: Retrofit LED Strip Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

w2346t-bf LCD: Retrofit LED Strip Kit

I picked this up from the recycle center. I figured out it had a bad ccfl by hooking up another back light I had sitting around(my old monitor).

Obviously replacing the CCFl isn't a very economic choice plus I figured my chances of getting a new one in w/o breaking it were also slim lol!

I bought one of these Chinese LED retrofit LED kits(pic attached):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281750783944

After waiting the obligatory 30+ days for China Post shipment, I finally installed it. I removed the inverter transformer, mosfet and controller IC plus some capacitors to clear space for the LEDdriverboard.

It's working,but... I have a few questions:

1) It's edge lit. I assumed that I should install the new strips into the plastic refflector that the ccfls were in. Of course after the fact I saw a few videos where they eliminated the reflector... Should I have done that?? It seems bright enough I suppose.

2) DIMMING! The LED driver has a DIM lead but from what I read, there was only a "chance" that it would work. I just left DIM off. My PSU board has TWO DIM connectors. DIM-A and DIM-B.

The display just doesn't seem right to me and I wonder if the brightness is the cause.

Any ideas how to get it working? Preferably tied into the system logic,but even if had to install a pot and set it manually that would be okay. There is a hair stuck in the bottom of the screen so I guess I need to disassemble anyway lol! (where's my clean room lmao)

I plan to have it side-by-side with my new 24" but until then I can't compare the displays together. However I am sure that it can be better quality.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: w2346t-bf LCD: Retrofit LED Strip Kit

maybe diffrent defusers for led screens? as most leds i think have defuser lens over each the leds on some sets ? im not sure about edge lit sets though.
    Last edited by vinceroger69; 03-18-2016, 07:24 AM.

Comment

i have done a bunch of these, you can search some older threads of it.

it's best to use the reflector as a mounting frame, btw, just make sure you fix the strips in straight so they dont point away from the defuser!

as for dimming, you need to start with the part number of the original ccfl controller chip so we know how it dimmed.

also, the led's are pure white, but worn ccfl's have a pink tint - so you may want to play with the colour-temperature controls.
      Last edited by stj; 03-18-2016, 07:21 AM.

Comment

vinceroger69, not sure to be honest,as I haven't see the insides of an edge-lit LED monitor. It seems to be diffusing okay tho. Except very small shaded areas in corners.(I expected this since the LED strips were about 1/2" short on each end)

stj, Yes! I have seen on the boards that you advocate this conversion Only, I haven't been able to find many posts on the subject. (especially in-depth ones)

Yes, good idea on the part #s. Here's the IC controller datasheet:

I'll try to figure out how the dimming works but I'm not a tech so we'll see lol.

Also, I'm not even sure how the dimming works on the new LED driver... Of course they don't give any specs on it..

Thanks!!

Comment

Also just to chip in, make sure you heatsink the Led's to the rest of the frame if not they will burn out very fast. One last thing looks like you have some fake Sanyo caps on the psu that are likely to fail soon so probably best to change them and the others and just desolder the original inverter section like the mosfet and the tarfo as well as the controller possibly just to get them out the way.

I might get one of these kits soon and have a play about sounds like a good project. Keep us updated
          Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 03-18-2016, 08:04 AM.
          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Stj, forgot to say thanks for the color temp hint. I hadn't messed with it yet hopefully it'll help.

And also thanks for letting me know that the plastic reflector is OK! I DID make sure to get them perfectly perpendicular in there.

ReeceyBurger123, thanks for the comments! Unfortunately, I did NOT mount them to the metal frame. I put them inside the plastic j-channel shape reflector that the ccfl was in. I left them running for ~10 minutes and checked heat and it wasn't bad so I rolled with it. Plus I already had hot-glued them in so... lol!

Sorry that pic isn't my actual board. The caps are original in it so I'll leave them for now.

I did remove the inverter circuit and mounted the led driver in its place.

It was a fun project but I guess time(and display quality) will tell if it was worth it. $10 and some time, not much to lose!

Comment

what's the chip number on the led driver?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                what's the chip number on the led driver?
                Ahh crap, I didn't think to get that and it's assembled and being used by me right now. doh! I guess I will take her back apart. I NEED dim this thing some lol!

What the typical dim procedure on the ones you have used?

Thanks
                Last edited by martyparish; 03-18-2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

i have done a bunch of these, you can search some older threads of it.
                  Can you give the link, cannot find it.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedCap View Post
                    Can you give the link, cannot find it.
                    Just type in Lcd to Led kit on ebay.
                    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

those led strips dont get hot.
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45465

Comment

Originally posted by martyparish View Post
                        What the typical dim procedure on the ones you have used?

Thanks
                        didnt bother, i just tied the wire out of the way

Comment

didnt bother, i just tied the wire out of the way
                          LMAO!! Yep me too. Working great for now.

I'm going to check it out side-by-side with my other monitor(24" AOC) and I will post results. Then I will take it back apart and see about dimming ctrl.

Thanks again!

Comment

After a few days using the monitor I'm going to chalk this up as a..... WIN!

I'll keep y'all posted on the dimming and anything else that pops up.

BONUS+++ I still have my old monitor with confirmed bad ccfl, and it's 22".

Comment

Working...
                            X