ONKYO TXNR609 no sound unless you heat up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONKYO TXNR609 no sound unless you heat up

I have an ONKYO TXNR609 that has no sound unless you heat up the boards with a hair dryer, any ideas where to start on this one?

Re: ONKYO TXNR609 no sound unless you heat up

Yep. Turn the unit on and press display and standby button, then use + to navigate through the firmware. Chances are your DSP firmware will show ????????????????

The DSP chip on the HDMI pcb (can't miss it) is at fault and affects EVERY NR609/509 / other series that use this TI chip. Onkyo are well aware of this. They are offering free repairs under a programme called 'Customer Care Programme' but have not made it widely known.

Comment

It is on the onkyousa dot com website. Fill in the online form with the serial number etc and you will know instantly if you are covered by the program and as artois says I bet you are.

Comment

Did you get back yours mmartell?

Comment

It's sitting at a friends house in another country. Turn around time was lightening fast makes me wonder if it was repaired or sent back as-is lol. Will have this weekend I think and will update...

Comment

The faulty board is quite literally a three minute swap, so if they had them on stock, would have been a same day repair. Not surprising!

Comment

A new board is most likely a couple hundred dollars(on a Pioneer is almost $500), so they most likely replace the bad components.

Comment

thanks for the help guys

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                  A new board is most likely a couple hundred dollars(on a Pioneer is almost $500), so they most likely replace the bad components.
                  A new board is a couple of hundred dollars to you and me, not the manufacturer. I'd doubt anybody is reballing these per unit, maybe they are en mass. Then again I don't think they want to get into the same mess all over again with same/similar issues so possible they're just junking the damn things.

I only say they may have sent it back as is because they may have spotted the fact a curious soul was already in there mucking about and refused repair. Patently unfair really as all these units were out of warranty and it wouldn't be unreasonable for people to seek out repair by local technicians.

Comment

Could be an electrolytic capacitor in the protection circuit or somewhere else. If you heat an elecrolytic capacitor, its ESR decreases all the way down to 1/10. You could try the divide and conquer technique; heat up individual boards untill you find which one is it, then, heat up half of that board, and then a quarter...
                    Just don`t heat capacitors too hot or too long, is will shorten their lifespan and they even may explode.

Comment

Originally posted by un4givintoo View Post
                      thanks for the help guys
                      Did you solve the problem?

Comment

The problem is stated in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                          Hi,

For Onkyo EU (not sure about usa) all boards are returned to Onkyo who replace the DSP chip and the service centres just fit the then refurbished boards. No repair centres replace the chips in house.

Comment

UPDATE: I have the unit back home. Though it has not yet been tested with speakers I can say that after power up the speaker icons all show up where it was nada before.

Also the hdmi board has been replaced. I can't say if it's new but it's definitely not mine.

Comment

I've done a few of these. Reflowing the DSP chip has corrected the problem. Haven't had any reworks on them after reflow, but I'm sure they will eventually have the same problem
                              It's a problem in everything with that style chip, BGA in TV mainboards, HDMI/DSP in Audio Equipment, and this is all manufacturers. Oh, BTW Haven't tried to reball anything, I'd like to eventually get the stencils and equipment to do it, but not in the cards right now
                              Last edited by Comm; 04-18-2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X