Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone made ?

Guys,

Has anyone of you made a solder plate with heater and plate of metal ?

I want to unsolder multiple pins of header and connector so I can reuse it...
    It would be easy if all the pins solder are melted together and I pull it out of the board...

Anyone ?

Re: Has anyone made ?

Check youtube I know theres some videos.
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Any links or keywords for that video?

Comment

buy a desoldering unit.

Comment

desoldering ? I have that, I don't want to take the solder one by one,
          my idea is, solder all the pins at once and it will come of by itself...

Comment

yes, i have seen a solder pot used that way, but the pins dont come out clean and the holes are blocked.

Comment

I would use ChipQuik before I would go to the trouble of making a tool for what sounds like a one time operation.
              http://www.chipquik.com/store/produc...ucts_id=210001
              No affiliation and it is a little expensive but it really works well for the jobs like this one.

Comment

Chip quick is simillar with solder paste then ?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  yes, i have seen a solder pot used that way, but the pins dont come out clean and the holes are blocked.
                  can it be with copper plate on the botom and heat up ?

Comment

if you really want to heat a large area, you may be better with a 300-500w halogen lamp

Comment

Originally posted by bianchi77 View Post
                      Guys,

Has anyone of you made a solder plate with heater and plate of metal ?

I want to unsolder multiple pins of header and connector so I can reuse it...
                      It would be easy if all the pins solder are melted together and I pull it out of the board...

Anyone ?
                      Perhaps try a variant of the technique used in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCUSwADP6DE

Comment

What my friends use to do back in the day to scavenge all the chips of old mainframe computer boards was to take an old aluminum, electric frying pan and fill it with high temperature cooking oil.
                        Turn up the thermostat to the highest point. You need about 365 deg. F. to melt solder.
                        If the oil doesn't get hot enough, take the thermostat apart and bend the contact on the bi-metal contact 'till it does. About 400 deg should do it.
                        Float your circuit board on the hot oil until the solder melts.
                        Hold the board with vice-grips and yank the parts off one by one.
                        Of course, great caution must be taken during this process and do it outside, not in your kitchen!
                        Try on an old unneeded circuit board to practice and see if this method will do what you need it to do.
                        BE CAREFUL!

Comment

Soldering pots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHL0a80_oJc

Cup is made of a ceramic or metal material that resists high temperatures (200c+) , you melt solder without flux (solder bars) or solder with flux in it as long as you feed solder slowly and in a ventilated space (as the flux melts and evapores the chemicals in the flux aren't great for your lungs)
                          Soldering pots were designed and meant to be used initially for purposes like tinning leads of components or wires (put liquid flux on leads or wire, use a spoon or something to move away the dross that forms at the top and then put the wires or leads down in the solder and they get tinned.. here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiVkI4IooH4 )

If you overfill the pot with solder it forms a sort of balloon top (i think the term is convex surface) so you can put a board or something that has through hole leads on top of that and the liquid solder will melt the solder joints quickly allowing you to pull out parts.

Similar tech is used in wave soldering.. a pump pushes liquid solder up towards a circuit board that was previously sprayed with lots of liquid flux and as the wave of solder goes over the leads and contacts it sticks to everything and the parts get soldered.

There's also solder suckers, there's desoldering guns (they have pumps which create a void at the tip so solder gets sucked inside the pump and solder gets stuck in a container.

Desoldering guns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft50m8UU5WQ

There's also solder braid, which allows you to suck solder from surfaces through capilary action (liquid solder wants to flow up on the braid).
                          I don't really like to use solder braid because it's expensive and it's pretty much one time use - you use a piece and then you have to cut it off.
                          It's also important to use QUALITY solder braid, with flux on the braid. Braids without flux are pretty much unusable.

Chipquick is basically a low melting point solder, the combination of metals is well known and other companies make that kind of solder as well, but they're all more expensive as the raw materials used are more expensive.

It's basically a solder that melts at something like 100c and stays semi-liquid for longer time, which means if you add this solder to existing solder, you drop the melting point of existing solders down and the solder on the joints of a chip or component stays molten for longer time, which allows you to pull out a part more easily in some cases.
                          Last edited by mariushm; 11-09-2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Badcaps solder pot thread
                            Last edited by pfrcom; 11-09-2016, 08:14 PM.
                            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

I have often thought of making a 'pre-heater'..... using a cooker element and thyristor or triac, a temperature sensor shouldn't be too hard to knock up, someone mentioned a frying pan wonder if 'Er in doors will notice anything missin'? Be hard explaining a missing cooker ring though.

Dave

Comment

you would be better off using a linear halogen lamp, they are made in 120,300,500 & 1000w and they can be controlled a lot faster than a cooker element.

they also have a reflector and are dirt cheap - a 500w one costs about £7 fitting, reflector, lamp etc.

Comment

Hai

Comment

i made a tip with #12 bare solid copper(house wire) for a weller gun to desolder dimm sockets.you could do the same.
                                    still have to clear holes but speeds up the job.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                      i made a tip with #12 bare solid copper(house wire) for a weller gun to desolder dimm sockets.you could do the same.
                                      still have to clear holes but speeds up the job.
                                      can you show me the photo please ? thanks

Comment

Working...
                                      X